Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16

Author Topic: Hell/Jack Chick/Bible/Christianity etc. Discussion thread  (Read 32734 times)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Hell/Jack Chick/Bible/Christianity etc. Discussion thread
« Reply #150 on: August 22, 2014, 01:06:41 pm »

"I don't know, therefore Goddidit" seems a cop-out to me. Even if you assume goddiddit, god did everything else, yeah? And once we understood how he did the other things, we were able to use them to better our own lives. Why would these other things that "goddid" be any different or more supernatural than previous "goddiddit" things?

Also, BlindKitty, that's all well and good, but that's your own personal theology, [even if you follow the pope, it's still your choice to follow the pope] and thus no one else should be held by the same standards unless they themselves hold those standards.

Even other Catholics, nominally supposed to agree with you, disagree about homosexuality being a sin (admittedly a small minority). Thus, legislating against it says that your ideals are more important than everyone elses. Especially about something that, according to you and yours, is a theological crime and not an actual physical crime with repercussions in the real world, like pedophilia has on the young. (Hello, informed consent!) No one is asking *you* to engage in homosexuality. And while the majorities in some (some could say most, even, but I think that's changing) countries agree with you, that's no reason to allow them to attack the minorities they disagree with. Considering the repercussions on couples that constraining marriage gives, such as one not being able to visit their partner in the hospital, not being able to file taxes jointly (monetary cost), not having your relationship automatically count for inheritance purposes, the psychological affect of your partnership being considered "less than" or "not important"... I think the anti-marriage side of "It's icky," or "It's wrong," or "It goes against my god," are nothing in the face of the actual real-world affects of constrained marriage rights, not to mention all the OTHER rights besides just marriage rights. Slavery was agreed with by the majorities in many countries for quite a long period of time, that didn't make it any less an affront against basic human decency and autonomy.

Spoiler: objective morality (click to show/hide)

Goddamn that spoiler is long. I kind of got away from myself, and even then, I don't think I articulated myself all that well, or hit on all the points I wanted to. This is basically two different things in this post, only barely tangentially related to each other, hence why I separated via spoiler. Feel free to respond to one, the other, both, or neither.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 01:10:04 pm by Descan »
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 22, 2014, 01:32:23 pm »

solution:

remove state-sponsored marriage, leave religious marriage as a purely religious affair

introduce new marriage(tm) that's basically the old marriage except without any notions of religion or gender involved

and not called a marriage

next question

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 22, 2014, 01:33:33 pm »

solution:

remove state-sponsored marriage, leave religious marriage as a purely religious affair

introduce new marriage(tm) that's basically the old marriage except without any notions of religion or gender involved

and not called a marriage

next question
That infringes on the religious right to get tax breaks :P.

BlindKitty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 22, 2014, 01:40:07 pm »

-snip-

About 'personal theology' - if somebody doesn't consider adultery a sin, that person can not consider themselves a Catholic. It is like considering yourself a vegetarian but eating pork; does not compute. Agreeing with Pope is prerequisite of being a Catholic.

About lawmaking - this is entirely another topic; I do not wish to discuss it here, or anywhere else.

About objective morality - it is your right to believe whatever you want, of course.

About removing state-sponsored marriage and introducing new marriage - it's lawmaking, see above.
My little roguelike craft-centered game thread. Check it out.

GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 22, 2014, 01:45:04 pm »

Er... Who said anything about adultery? :V
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 22, 2014, 01:48:38 pm »

Presumably you should apply the same rules to same-sex sex.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

BlindKitty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 22, 2014, 02:02:43 pm »

As explained above, homosexual sex is by very definition extramarital, and thus considered adultery. Anyway, the same-sex sex in and of itself has could have the same rules apply, too, as has been stated multiple times by both Popes and Catechism of Catholic Church to be sin.

In other news: I'm going out of town for about 10 days, so I won't be responding during that time. If any question or comments come to your mind, either wait or post them and hope I will be reading everything after coming back.
My little roguelike craft-centered game thread. Check it out.

GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 22, 2014, 02:05:22 pm »

Even other Catholics, nominally supposed to agree with you, disagree about homosexuality being a sin (admittedly a small minority).

You might want to check on this before you state it...

Unless you mean just the Catholics around where you live... which fine... I've heard of religious fanatical towns.

if somebody doesn't consider adultery a sin, that person can not consider themselves a Catholic.

Let me check...

This is incorrect... Belief in adultery as a sin is NOT a exclusionary tenant.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 02:07:15 pm by Neonivek »

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 22, 2014, 02:06:53 pm »

Believing homosexual acts to be a sin isn't really fanatical, though.

Believing being who you are is a sin, well, that would be fanatical.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 22, 2014, 02:14:37 pm »

May I hazard anywhere that divorce is a sin that used to be severe enough to force whole countries to change reigions (hello Anglicans). Traditional marriage died 50 years ago and we're dancing on its grave ever since. Hell it's dead since the father of the Bribe doesn't get to force her in or out a marriage.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 22, 2014, 02:16:07 pm »

As explained above, homosexual sex is by very definition extramarital,
And my entire point here is that not every Catholic agrees about that. :V

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 22, 2014, 02:17:00 pm »

May I hazard anywhere that divorce is a sin that used to be severe enough to force whole countries to change reigions (hello Anglicans). Traditional marriage died 50 years ago and we're dancing on its grave ever since. Hell it's dead since the father of the Bribe doesn't get to force her in or out a marriage.

Divorce isn't a "sin" for Catholics so to speak (Kind of not really)... It is just impossible.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 22, 2014, 02:22:39 pm »

Well in Belgium catholics divorce frequently so it's seen as a sin. They cannot remarry in church, theorically, but there is still the good old nullification excuse.

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 22, 2014, 02:23:55 pm »

Well in Belgium catholics divorce frequently so it's seen as a sin. They cannot remarry in church, theorically, but there is still the good old nullification excuse.

they "divorce" legally. As far as the Church is still concerned they cannot remarry because they are still married.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 22, 2014, 02:30:08 pm »

Yeah,  but it's a sin to legally divorce your "rightfull" wife/husband.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16