Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Union of Bloody Picks  (Read 556 times)

Gnomeknows

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Union of Bloody Picks
« on: July 01, 2014, 08:47:36 am »

So, if the wiki is telling me what I think it is telling me, adamantine picks are the most effective weapons forgable by dorfs if you level up their mining skill before recruiting them, correct? 
In fact, we should really say, that beards are born with babies.  Since beards are sentient it is quite possible they style themselves or even that they grow styled.
I'm totally convinced dwarven babies are born with beards. How those get braided, combed or shaved before birth is one of the arcane dwarven mysteries.

m-logik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Union of Bloody Picks
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 11:07:29 am »

Adamantine picks are very effective weapons, but it's a bit misleading to say that they're the best. If I remember the research threads correctly, adamantine picks outperformed other dwarf forgeable weapons in the testing arena against similarly skilled armored dwarves.
In practice you won't find a one-size-fits-all weapon. If you find yourself against a titan or forgotten beast that's, say, a gabbro blob, you'll be wanting some spears handy. If you embarked on a reanimating biome, then you'll probably never want to use a pick for anything other than striking the earth. Hammers are your friend, here. Swords have a versatility that other weapons lack; a slashing attack, a stabbing attack, and two (mostly useless) blunt attacks.
But if you're just carving up goblins, it doesn't get much better than addy picks. As long as you don't mind all the extra hauling jobs from severed body parts.

Gnomeknows

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 03:42:25 pm »

That was probably the best answer I could have hoped for, that's considering that I really didn't want to hear "so and so is the best weapon in the game!"  Instead I wanted to hear just what you told me, that it depends on who you are fighting.  Thanks for renewing my faith in DF :).
In fact, we should really say, that beards are born with babies.  Since beards are sentient it is quite possible they style themselves or even that they grow styled.
I'm totally convinced dwarven babies are born with beards. How those get braided, combed or shaved before birth is one of the arcane dwarven mysteries.

m-logik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 06:50:03 pm »

Glad I could be of service.

In the interest of not misleading anyone, I want to issue a correction to my original reply: spears would actually be a TERRIBLE choice against a gabbro blob. On account of their not bleeding. A fleshy blob, though, spears are the go-to. Axes would be a better bet against an inorganic blob, due to having a nontrivial chance of a bisection. Gimme a break, I was working on my first cup of coffee.

I think this just goes to reinforce my point, though. One of the best things about this game is the great range of effective playstyles. No one has ever built a minecart shotgun that bombards sieges with flaming socks because it's the most efficient way to kill goblins. But it is pretty freakin' cool.

When I stopped trying to find the "right way" to play Dwarf Fortress, I got a whole lot better at it. A good rule of thumb would be that if you're having fun, Fun, FUN, or !!FUN!! then you're doing it right.

Xazo-Tak

• Bay Watcher
  • *Camping forever*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 04:21:33 am »

Adamantine picks are very effective weapons, but it's a bit misleading to say that they're the best. If I remember the research threads correctly, adamantine picks outperformed other dwarf forgeable weapons in the testing arena against similarly skilled armored dwarves.
In practice you won't find a one-size-fits-all weapon. If you find yourself against a titan or forgotten beast that's, say, a gabbro blob, you'll be wanting some spears handy. If you embarked on a reanimating biome, then you'll probably never want to use a pick for anything other than striking the earth. Hammers are your friend, here. Swords have a versatility that other weapons lack; a slashing attack, a stabbing attack, and two (mostly useless) blunt attacks.
But if you're just carving up goblins, it doesn't get much better than addy picks. As long as you don't mind all the extra hauling jobs from severed body parts.
Those blunt attacks will be more important in the next version.
Blunt damage actually does something, and killing may or may not have unintended consequences.
How to have recursive Fun:
Have Fun
Reclaim fort
Destroy your main graveyard with a cave-in