Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 17

Author Topic: Dwarven Metropolitan Area. A DF-assisted forum RPG.  (Read 17734 times)

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Metropolitan Area. A DF-assisted forum RPG.
« Reply #150 on: August 06, 2014, 10:46:53 pm »

(votes so far, 2)
so you don't want to do anything now that we've breached the aquifer?  no coal has shown itself as of yet, but there are plenty of metal ores (silver copper and iron so far) and you do have a wood furnace
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 07, 2014, 12:17:46 am »

(votes so far, 2)
so you don't want to do anything now that we've breached the aquifer?  no coal has shown itself as of yet, but there are plenty of metal ores (silver copper and iron so far) and you do have a wood furnace
Guess I would first replace the pick we lost with a copper one. Then I would make a silver hammer and iron sword, after that work on churning out a few iron or copper armor sets I could sell or use or give later. Edit: Since I doubt I could do all that with the wood I have prioritize getting the replacement pick and then chop more wood once low. Wonder if I should make my own axe already.

Of course the miner(s) is/are to be sent an iron set of armor each + the replacement pick as gifts/payment for their work.

Also in light of recent events I wonder if a tradition about being generous/helping the community/doing good deeds would be beneficial or cause problems down the road. On one hand, makes some sense and could help those of us that have little way of getting influence. On the other it is easy to exploit and call any trade or action one falling under it.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 12:53:51 am by Cain12 »

sal880612m

• Bay Watcher
  • [SANITY:OPTIONAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 07, 2014, 12:54:25 am »

I'll back neblime.

If i get a pick back set me to digging. I would also like to set up a kiln when possible and search for coal if it is available on the map. Exploratory mining as it were.

That or work with someone to try and find the magma sea. Either or. Preferably being very cautious in the case of looking for magma.

Also mine iron, flux and coal if present, hopefully enough to fully garb all player dwarfs in the best possible option.

Do we have some character that isn't claimed that has woodcutter, wood burner, and smelting? Am I even allowed to do that? Basically looking to get myself some fuel I can use freely. I am still not entirely clear whether mining coal makes it mine or the forts or somewhere in between. I would like to be able to get the raw materials myself but it seems more interesting not to, so if I do technically own the coal ores, I would like to set up sort of a labour/trade agreement with someone with furnace operator to get smelting of coal ores for me in return for keeping some of the coal.
"I was chopping off little bits of 'im till he talked, startin' at the toes."
"You probably should have stopped sometime before his eyes."

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 07, 2014, 02:24:05 am »

very selfless of you both.  don't forget this game is ultimately about vying for power (although it probably is a bit early to antagonize each other)
i'll leave a bit more time for others to respond, but ill tally up the votes (3:0 so far hehe) within 12 hours
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 07, 2014, 02:32:55 am »

very selfless of you both.  don't forget this game is ultimately about vying for power (although it probably is a bit early to antagonize each other)
i'll leave a bit more time for others to respond, but ill tally up the votes (3:0 so far hehe) within 12 hours
Oh I am vying for power, just you wait til I have influence and the required backing. heh heh heh...whahaha WHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.. ahem.

Hahayeah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 07, 2014, 04:41:42 am »

I guess I'll vote for Neblime once again....If i get coal and Iron bars, Raziel's vote comes at a price. :P

Elorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody expects the Bearded Inquisition!
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 07, 2014, 05:08:13 am »

Aye, my vote goes to neblime as well. Our settlement is still standing and his drill through the aquifers was successful. What more can you ask from an Overseer?

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 07, 2014, 05:48:31 am »

I guess I'll vote for Neblime once again....If i get coal and Iron bars, Raziel's vote comes at a price. :P
well uh we won't find out until someone oversees for a bit again, so I guess you'll just have to hold next year's vote hostage

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 07, 2014, 08:02:24 am »

I vote neblime.  He has done a fantastic job of running the fort and is still interested in doing so.

To the overseer

Well damn.

Can you remove the middle walls and make the room symmetrical up and down by mining down south?  I needed a throne room anyways.  Do you think it would be wise for me to make the rest of my rooms beneath my throne?

Dwarf Fortress: Your game is working on giving NPC's lives. Our game is working on giving them a working nervous system.
Aahhh I can't find the fish cakes in the bunny level, they keep getting enraged and I don't have any holy hand grenades
The Age of Myth: Goldenhold

sal880612m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 07, 2014, 12:52:23 pm »

It's kind of hard to vie for power at this stage I think. Now that I think of it though I do very much want to search for the magma sea. I just don't want to risk not having floor hatches or floors to cover any cavern breaches. Anyone with the appropriate skills willing to help out?

Edit:Specifically I want to be able to create a magma kiln near surface clay, but since there is an aquifer I am not sure that it is possible to do a magma piston so I may need to work with someone there again.

Edit:I know this will probably be a pain but can we occasionally get our dwarfs thoughts posted? It's all well and good to have things to aim for from a purely player perspective but it seems to me that we are really shielded from some things. I don't know whether I am going insane because there isn't enough chairs and there is only one type of booze. That sort of thing.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 01:32:08 pm by sal880612m »

sal880612m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 07, 2014, 01:51:22 pm »

I have also been thinking I would like to create a sort of memorial hall. Sort of laid out like:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

White representing the area to be dug out first.
Red being the staircase into/through the hall.
Brown being pillars for engraving. (My main goal here.)
Green and magenta/purple could be used for coffins/memorial slabs, etc.
I know that the area wouldn't work for nobles and such but for the peasants it should be good enough. Also ideally smooth floors and walls. Do not engrave them.
Edit:blue is floor as well but for now the idea is just to get an entrance smooth the floor and pillars in the 7x7 area around the center and engrave the first pillar.

As my main goal is the pillars for engraving I would like to henceforth engrave a pillar a year regardless of ability or outcome to record the history of our endeavors. I leave it to the overseer to decide what to prioritize on my list of goals.

I would also like to revise my idea for a tradition.

Instead of not being allowed to learn new skills unless related to current ones I would like to suggest a tradition that it is unseemly to try and learn any new skills without the assistance from someone who currently already possess those skills. The idea being that it is consider willful and immature to do so as it could pose a safety risk. (I know there really isn't one but it's RP I say.)

In some ways this is more restrictive in that previously I suggested similar skills should be permissible but wouldn't be under this, on the other hand it opens up the option to venture into fields without being punished for it so long as someone is willing to 'oversee' you.

Sorry for the double post but this really stopped being something I could put in an edit.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 02:05:13 pm by sal880612m »

Elorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody expects the Bearded Inquisition!
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 07, 2014, 02:13:29 pm »

It's kind of hard to vie for power at this stage I think. Now that I think of it though I do very much want to search for the magma sea. I just don't want to risk not having floor hatches or floors to cover any cavern breaches. Anyone with the appropriate skills willing to help out?
I don't think finding the magma sea is our priority right now. We barely have a working economy and our protection isn't much either. I suppose we use wood or coal instead and hold off magma until we can sustain it.

Quote from: sal880612m
Edit:I know this will probably be a pain but can we occasionally get our dwarfs thoughts posted? It's all well and good to have things to aim for from a purely player perspective but it seems to me that we are really shielded from some things. I don't know whether I am going insane because there isn't enough chairs and there is only one type of booze. That sort of thing.
I second this, not that there is much we can do at the moment but more role playing would be fun.

As for the memorial hall, I like the idea and offer my help for the coffins and memorial slabs.
The new tradition sounds good to me. As a new settlement there's much we can learn from each other.

sal880612m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 07, 2014, 02:48:23 pm »

<-snip->
I don't think finding the magma sea is our priority right now. We barely have a working economy and our protection isn't much either. I suppose we use wood or coal instead and hold off magma until we can sustain it.

<-snip->
I second this, not that there is much we can do at the moment but more role playing would be fun.

As for the memorial hall, I like the idea and offer my help for the coffins and memorial slabs.
The new tradition sounds good to me. As a new settlement there's much we can learn from each other.

Thanks for the support on the memorial hall idea.

The magma sea is basically to remove reliance on coal so we can use it for steel. Also I have novice potter so it would mean I could produce clay goods as I wished. I am not sure now is the time for it either but I don't really have a firm grasp of our current situation and setting up magma-furnaces does have tangible benefits. The downside being that it also has risks. I am not wanting to do a headlong rush without concern for safety so it can be shelved.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 07, 2014, 07:42:52 pm »

alright starting now.  will post some dwarf thoughts!

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 07, 2014, 08:50:11 pm »

Diary of Neblime Zangethad 2nd Hematite
Truly mothdast smiles upon us. 
I have been unanimously reelected as overseer, and with the aquifer at last breached the earth provides, thanks to the exploratory mining of rigor gazcubor
Along with those metal ores we found many other types of gems including yellow jasper, garnierite, Cinnabar, tanzanite, red spinel, indigo tourmaline, and alamandine!
Kalkor gemstrike excavated himself some kind of cavern he calls his "throne room" which also encapsulates some sapphires and plume agate
I hope he doesn't get any ideas about what he's supposed to be ruling over
Cain spent most of spring furiously smelting, but is still hard at it with nothing produced as I write.  Perhaps he could hire some peasants to do the wood burning or smelting for him, or at least haul the ore?
Some migrants arrived in late slate, among them were 3 rangers, 1 craftsdwarf, 1 peasant, 5 parasites children, 1 farmer, 1 jeweler (who may prove useful now!) and 1 fisherdwarf.
I can only imagine what wonders we shall construct from this mineral wealth
Spoiler: status (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: OOC (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 17