Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 17

Author Topic: Dwarven Metropolitan Area. A DF-assisted forum RPG.  (Read 17728 times)

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Metropolitan Area. A DF-assisted forum RPG.
« Reply #90 on: July 30, 2014, 11:34:10 am »

Well personally love the area, if I had it to myself I would go to http://prntscr.com/47uqst, stretch out into a box, remove the ramps, for a trade depot and some workshops, build my home inside the hill and make a wall/gate eventually. Maybe get a miner to do that for me later.

So back to game, if I had an axe I would probaly chop down trees, but I didn't bring one. So I guess I would get Keroe to "lend" me his axe if he isn't using it the now. Or use my influence, but hey he/Zargoth can do me a favor/a trade of some form instead I am sure.

kero42

• Bay Watcher
  • Das sind mir unbekannte Blumen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 30, 2014, 11:42:09 am »

Sure, I don't even think I have any use for an axe.
Something I find interesting and thought I should share: DF from scratch: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=127552.0

sal880612m

• Bay Watcher
  • [SANITY:OPTIONAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 30, 2014, 02:02:52 pm »

I don't mind doing stuff like Cain has suggested but I would like to dig out areas for storage, farm plots and sleeping before anything that is basically landscaping. Setting up the farm plots is probably a good idea too. Alternatively we could go the Above Ground fort route in the area south-east of the wagon.

Actually maybe instead of Cain's, channel out the blue area:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
and we can eventually wall in the area north of that.

Eventually I would like to create a 3 wide underpass underneath the river on the straight stretch north east of the wagon because bridges just don't seem all that dwarven in comparison. I'd like it to be wagon passable if possible.

Also since part of my character's stuff was conditional can I know how that ended up? Not sure if I got Leatherworker & Tanner, Potter, or Glassmaker.
"I was chopping off little bits of 'im till he talked, startin' at the toes."
"You probably should have stopped sometime before his eyes."

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 30, 2014, 05:45:55 pm »

I suppose digging into the hillside is a good compromise between above and below ground, I'll setup some basics before I pierce the aquifer then.
Sal you have skilled miner, competent engraver, Novice grower, Novice Herbalist and Novice potter,
I knew there was going to be lots of clay :P
also you have a steel pick.  I'll do comprehensive reports on who owns what at the end of each season, for now unless i tell you otherwise assume you got all your requested materials and all your skills to at least within one level of what you asked for
edit - im going with sal's suggestion since I don't like to be too close to the edge of the map.  you can always use such an area for your own future enterprises cain
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 06:17:00 pm by neblime »
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 30, 2014, 07:07:48 pm »

Journal of Neblime Zanegthad 1st Hematite / 100
Alas I thought our first spring here would be uneventful, but tragedy has already struck!  I suppose I shall start at the start.

I was elected to oversee the establishment of our small settlement, doubtless due to my well known organizational skill.  I quickly set all able hands to work chopping down trees and securing some simple lodgings in the hillside.  For unknown reasons the fellow named Zargoth ran off to chase deer instead.  Thinking little of it (save that he might be a slacker to keep an eye on) I went about my work updating our newly made stockpile records, while teledwarf, who seemed knowledgable in such things evaluated all our possesions.
I witnessed Zargoth actually catch up with a deer and split it's head with his axe!  Impressed with his skills I was surprised to hear him scream for help.  We all rushed over the hill to the west to see what was going on, when we arrived all we saw was Zargoth lying in a pool of his own blood, axe at his side.
I saw a pack of vicious horses slinking away, blood still staining their hooves.  I can only conclude it was them who did this, although I know not how they overwhelmed zargoth armed such as he was
all we can do now is bury him.  All we can do for now is provide a poor wooden casket and a pathetic hole in the hillside.  I hope one day we can improve this memorial to the dwarf we all wish we had known better.
we continued with our work, although somewhat dispiritedly.  Bedrooms, farms and a dining room have been excavated, but little room for stockpiles is complete as yet.
Now as spring ends I prepare to hold our first meeting.  I hope spirits are not too depressed by zargoth's death. 
Spoiler: OOC (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 10:24:06 pm by neblime »
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 30, 2014, 07:14:36 pm »

well I suppose we better not waste any more time than we already have!
for the summer Neblime will just continue doing various peasanty tasks.
Traditions I would like to propose:
positive:
living aboveground.  it's a hard life and deserves respect!
Being a fulltime soldier
Voluntarily doing nothing but peasant stuff for a season (not counting absentee players who don't state that they'll be doing anything)
Negative:
Fleeing from battle
Getting another dwarf killed accidentally (say, accidentally flooding a room causing a dwarf to die.)

« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 07:55:38 pm by neblime »

sal880612m

• Bay Watcher
  • [SANITY:OPTIONAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 30, 2014, 07:22:23 pm »

I was just about to ask about them and throw up the suggestion that if I have free time I begin gathering some wild plants. I probably won't want to be farming much as I detest flies.

Not sure about the traditions at this point I would like to see what else everyone has to put forward.

Also to clarify is fleeing from battle in regards to a militia member doing so or any member of the citizenry?

Edit:

Negative Tradition:
Learning new skills unrelated to current skillset unless dictated by necessity.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 07:35:17 pm by sal880612m »
"I was chopping off little bits of 'im till he talked, startin' at the toes."
"You probably should have stopped sometime before his eyes."

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 30, 2014, 07:56:04 pm »

Also to clarify is fleeing from battle in regards to a militia member doing so or any member of the citizenry?
as a citizen.  maybe not children or severly injured i guess

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 30, 2014, 09:58:53 pm »

Feel you just went and did your own thing there, but oh well. Sorry Haha but I guess your old Zargoth is dead, gods just didn't want him here I guess. Missed Keroe in possession, and are all our resources like wood just going to be shared about and used with no discussion?

Cain will continue chopping wood, and will make himself a forge room.

Traditions (Makeshift will add more/change some. Tell me if I am doing these wrong)

Pos:
Settling disputes via violence (Might=Right I guess)

Neg:
Stopping a dwarf from pursuing his path in life
Theft is deplorable
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 07:10:45 pm by Cain12 »

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 30, 2014, 10:19:25 pm »

oops i did indeed miss keroe, i'll edit that in in a moment
Feel you just went and did your own thing there, but oh well... and are all our resources like wood just going to be shared about and used with no discussion?
yes well I didn't really want to show favoritism to either idea at this point (in fact isn't it better to leave the areas you like so you can use them for yourself later?) and yes for now all resources will be shared (edit here, some stuff like plant food/drink, plants gathered from the ground clay, etc probably won't be tracked due to ease of producing them, but that's up for discussion if you think they should be) because we have to get a basic settlement to support everyone up, i'll try and be as economic as possible.
where do you want your forge room, in the communal hovel? also how big would you like it?

so is a dwarf's path in life decided by him or a higher power?

edit-just in case anyone is wondering after everyone has had a chance to post i'll put all the proposed traditions in a list, and we can each vote on all the traditions proposed by every player with one post each
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 10:37:59 pm by neblime »

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 30, 2014, 10:58:33 pm »

Yeah makes sense.

I suppose it is whatever that dwarf feels, if he feels he is to be a great warrior so be it, if he feels the gods have given him a task he must fulfill it, to impend it would be against the gods themselves. I guess I should try and narrow it down some more I guess, is too generic as it is.

Might opt out of that one, still working on the character's views.

Edit:
Would prefer a 3x3 room, for the metal forge, maybe 3x6 if a smelter/furnace was also added. Wonder if I should try to melt down and remake Miss Zargoth's possessions later. Probably somewhere to the left of things, http://prntscr.com/481vj2 or http://prntscr.com/481vom. Guess I would need to ask/influence/pay our miner to do.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 03:22:54 am by Cain12 »

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 30, 2014, 11:37:42 pm »

Apologies for being absent.  There have been family difficulties recently.  I will resume my participation in this tomorrow.
Dwarf Fortress: Your game is working on giving NPC's lives. Our game is working on giving them a working nervous system.
Aahhh I can't find the fish cakes in the bunny level, they keep getting enraged and I don't have any holy hand grenades
The Age of Myth: Goldenhold

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 31, 2014, 02:29:12 am »

rigor posseses the only pick at this time, and you don't have more influence than him so if you ask him nicely he might do it free of charge?
don't worry anubis you don't even have a dwarf yet (soon though!)

kero42

• Bay Watcher
  • Das sind mir unbekannte Blumen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 31, 2014, 04:01:02 am »

IC: Ah, poor Zargoth, I barely knew her. Alas, that is the risk of coming here.

The guidelines we should live by?

Positive:

Worship is Good. ("In these perilous endeavours, you would be wise to honour those above us.")

Negative:

Governmental Disobedience is Bad ("Should such a system be built, of our own violation, you would question it?")

Waste is Bad ("We have very little on our hands, we should do our best to not throw it away.")

OOC: I forget whether traditions passively or directly affects influence. If you want to do something in disobedience to the government, do you lose total influence, or do you have to pay more to preform the action?

As for my actions next season, I would like to sacrifice my goat now. Preferably in the open air, but any old butchery will do in a pinch. After all, the great unknowable care's only for the pain and blood, ceremony is irrelevant to a being of his girth.

oops i did indeed miss keroe, i'll edit that in in a moment
Feel you just went and did your own thing there, but oh well... and are all our resources like wood just going to be shared about and used with no discussion?
and yes for now all resources will be shared because we have to get a basic settlement to support everyone up, i'll try and be as economic as possible.

Aw, there go our plans to seize completely the power of the area by vetoing all wooden constructions we don't want until you're willing to give us anything. Oh well, it would only have been able to last until someone else with an axe came along.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 04:06:56 am by kero42 »
Something I find interesting and thought I should share: DF from scratch: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=127552.0

Hahayeah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 31, 2014, 05:27:23 am »

The day i decide to use internet in the middle of nowhere is the day I get saddened because I find out i died right at the start...Well, I have no heir and didn't adopt anyone but if it would be possible then I would give all my dead influence to Cain. Now that I've died I have no use here unless neblime lets me name a migrant "Raziel" but if he doesn't, hey, atleast i'll read what happens daily.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 17