Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Not able to regenerate identical world from seed  (Read 4892 times)

Cragspyder

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Not able to regenerate identical world from seed
« on: July 01, 2014, 02:31:43 am »

I am really enjoying Dwarf Fortress, especially Legends Mode, which is why this problem I am facing has me so frustrated.

I was enthralled by the first randomized world I generated and the stories it produced. After playing my first fortress for a bit, I wanted to know what might have happened in the world if I had let it continue generating for longer (maybe 500 years instead of 250, etc).

So, I attempted to follow the instructions on the wiki and in this forum to regenerate an identical world but with an extended timeline.

The problem is...the world is not regenerating properly.

First, I tried to use the world generation parameters in the text file exported from Legends Mode. For me, it is called region1-world_gen_param.txt. When this failed to create the appropriate world, I reimported my abandoned first fortress, took the local image from that file as the website instructs, and tried again. It recreates the same world....an incorrect one!

I don't really understand how worldgen information exported from an existing fortress will generate a world where that fortress doesn't exist...

Here is the worldgen information, if that helps.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And this is a picture of the way the world should look

I literally still have it accessible and loadable in Dwarf Fortress still, so surely it must be possible to regenerate?

I downloaded the Lazy Newb Pack and am using this to run Dwarf Fortress. I don't think I have updated anything other than perhaps LegendsViewer, but that would have no effect on worldgen, right?

I would appreciate any help I could get.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: Not able to regenerate identical world from seed
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 03:19:39 am »

Now, maybe I'm wrong (I am likely wrong), but you are looking to have this world take the same worldgen parameters and have it gen from scratch? It won't have the same events or sites or civs. All that does (from my understanding) is give it an identical starting point. And even then, you probably wont get the same biomes. I believe the worldgen parameters set things like "how many evil tiles are allowed" and such, not things like "evil tile A goes here, volcano B goes here, fortress C goes here" etc.

Maybe I'm wrong, and someone with more worldgen knowhow will come in and tell me so. But I don't think its possible to literally gen a 100% duplicate world twice from scratch, even with the same parameters.

Also, if I'm wrong about the above, I'd like to be educated as well.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Crinkles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 06:59:00 am »

Now, maybe I'm wrong (I am likely wrong), but you are looking to have this world take the same worldgen parameters and have it gen from scratch? It won't have the same events or sites or civs. All that does (from my understanding) is give it an identical starting point. And even then, you probably wont get the same biomes. I believe the worldgen parameters set things like "how many evil tiles are allowed" and such, not things like "evil tile A goes here, volcano B goes here, fortress C goes here" etc.

Maybe I'm wrong, and someone with more worldgen knowhow will come in and tell me so. But I don't think its possible to literally gen a 100% duplicate world twice from scratch, even with the same parameters.

Also, if I'm wrong about the above, I'd like to be educated as well.

You are indeed wrong; it is possible to generate multiple worlds with identical geography and history. People do it all the time, to go e.g. to an interesting time period they saw in legends mode. I've never tried it myself, though, so I couldn't give instructions.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 08:45:05 am »

Are you regenerating the world with the same raws? If you generated the original world using a particular mod and then try to regenerate it without said mod (or vice-versa), it will obviously not be the same.

Also, there is at least one significant bug which is believed to possibly result in inconsistent world generation.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

m-logik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 08:49:19 am »

I've had this issue before as well. The common factor every time I've failed to regen a world is that there was at least one rejection in world gen. I don't know if this is the only factor that can cause world gen to produce different results from the same seed, but it's the only one for which I have observed any evidence. If this is the case for you, cragspyder, I'm sorry to say you are unlikely to reproduce your world. The good news is that this game can produce an effectively infinite variety of worlds. You'll find another you like.

On another note, if you're trying to get the world regen with the fortress that you created in it, that will never happen. It's entirely procedurally generated, and will never reproduce the player's inputs.

Good luck.

Cragspyder

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2014, 02:07:44 pm »

Are you regenerating the world with the same raws? If you generated the original world using a particular mod and then try to regenerate it without said mod (or vice-versa), it will obviously not be the same.

Also, there is at least one significant bug which is believed to possibly result in inconsistent world generation.

I have not updated Dwarf Fortress since I generated the world, considering there hasn't been an update in two years and I started playing four months ago :) 

I have whatever mods come with the Lazy Newb Pack, but I have not updated them either. I am fairly sure I have only updated the one utility, Legends Viewer, which shouldn't have any effect on worldgen, should it?

Maybe I am affected by this bug.

I've had this issue before as well. The common factor every time I've failed to regen a world is that there was at least one rejection in world gen. I don't know if this is the only factor that can cause world gen to produce different results from the same seed, but it's the only one for which I have observed any evidence. If this is the case for you, cragspyder, I'm sorry to say you are unlikely to reproduce your world. The good news is that this game can produce an effectively infinite variety of worlds. You'll find another you like.

On another note, if you're trying to get the world regen with the fortress that you created in it, that will never happen. It's entirely procedurally generated, and will never reproduce the player's inputs.

Good luck.

No, I don't really care about my fortress, I just wanted to be able to get the world back and see a longer history.

When I regenerate the world from the seed, it has exactly 1 rejection. I supposed that one rejection might be enough, but then why would the seed regenerate the same (second) world every time? I've checked, the second seed creates the same, different world from my first world, every time.

Has anyone else tried to generate a world from my provided info?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2014, 07:00:08 pm »

I'm glad to know more about worldgen! I'm happy to be mistaken if I can learn something from it. Of note is that the reason I thought the things I did is that I've also had issues re-genning the same world.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2014, 07:36:42 am »

When I regenerate the world from the seed, it has exactly 1 rejection. I supposed that one rejection might be enough, but then why would the seed regenerate the same (second) world every time? I've checked, the second seed creates the same, different world from my first world, every time.
I had a similar problem once, because of rejections. It basically depends how you reacted to the rejection with your first world. If you press c (continue) you will get a different result than when you press t (allow this rejection type) or p (allow all rejects). In my case I got a particular world by pressing t 3 times upon rejection and then c, any other combination led to a different world.

However, maybe it's another problem, because I can generate what looks like your world (using a different tileset, so not 100% sure, but it looks fairly identical) without any rejections. I don't have LNB or mods, using Mayday's tileset.

Cragspyder

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2014, 12:59:35 pm »

I had a similar problem once, because of rejections. It basically depends how you reacted to the rejection with your first world. If you press c (continue) you will get a different result than when you press t (allow this rejection type) or p (allow all rejects). In my case I got a particular world by pressing t 3 times upon rejection and then c, any other combination led to a different world.

However, maybe it's another problem, because I can generate what looks like your world (using a different tileset, so not 100% sure, but it looks fairly identical) without any rejections. I don't have LNB or mods, using Mayday's tileset.

Since it was the first world I generated, I did not use the Advanced Options, I simply used the "Create New World" button. I don't think I reacted at all to rejections when the world was first generated because I honestly don't remember if it had any.

So you're saying YOU can generate my world from these settings but I can't? That makes no sense! The secondary world I get when I try it looks nothing like the map I posted above.

Do you have a Demon named "Sut Hatedcrypt" with a couple thousand notable kills and a female Necromancer named "Zemel Spreadhero" who has written 14 artifact books? If so, you've got the right world, or pretty darn close.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2014, 01:06:06 pm »

Since it was the first world I generated, I did not use the Advanced Options, I simply used the "Create New World" button. I don't think I reacted at all to rejections when the world was first generated because I honestly don't remember if it had any.

I've never seen this "interact with world gen when it rejects things" either.  In fact, this is the first time I've ever heard of it, and I have used both "Advanced" and "Create new world" before.  For me, when world gen rejects a few regions, it just tells me how many at the top of the screen, before generating minerals and rivers and lakes and stuff.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2014, 01:15:17 pm »

I've never seen this "interact with world gen when it rejects things" either.  In fact, this is the first time I've ever heard of it, and I have used both "Advanced" and "Create new world" before.  For me, when world gen rejects a few regions, it just tells me how many at the top of the screen, before generating minerals and rivers and lakes and stuff.
It only shows up if a specific rejection reason happens too many times, depending on the rejection reason - some will do it after 10 of the same rejection, while others need 50, and some won't warn you until they happen more than 200 times.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 01:18:51 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2014, 01:23:29 pm »

So you're saying YOU can generate my world from these settings but I can't? That makes no sense! The secondary world I get when I try it looks nothing like the map I posted above.

Do you have a Demon named "Sut Hatedcrypt" with a couple thousand notable kills and a female Necromancer named "Zemel Spreadhero" who has written 14 artifact books? If so, you've got the right world, or pretty darn close.
Apparently yes...but...
"Sut Hatecrypt" got killed in 96 though, he was the leader of the goblin civilisation. One of his sucessors, another demon named "Tharumi Bonehates the Poisoned Oblivion of Ghosts" has several thousand kills. There are several Necromancers and artifact books (136 books, the other artifact is a slab), but none named "Zemel Spreadhero".
The world is in the Golden Age and it's dwarf civ one dwarf civ is called "The Moral Fountain", another one is called "The Moist Shields", the world itself is called "Defini Mare".
There are only 4 megabeasts, all dead: A roc, a bronze colossus, a hydra and a zombie dragon.

The map looks identical to yours though.

It only shows up if a specific rejection reason happens too many times, depending on the rejection reason - some will do it after 10 of the same rejection, while others need 50, and some won't warn you until they happen more than 200 times.
Yeah, this, it happens sometimes if you play around with Advanced Options.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 01:30:28 pm by XXSockXX »

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2014, 01:50:48 pm »

Changing the end year of worldgen changes the world itself. I have no idea why this should be the case.

This is why I like to set worldgen to end fairly late -- if I want to go back in time to catch that necromancer tower just after it's erected, I can do so without anything changing. Setting the start year yourself as the world generates doesn't have the world-changing effects that changing the worldgen settings does.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2014, 02:06:38 pm »

Ok, I'm clearly an idiot. I have multiple DF versions, and I used a modded version of DF in trying to re-generate the world, now using my normal version, I get:

"Defini Mare" - "the Dimension of Souls"
"Sut Hatedcrypt the Terrors of Evil" - male fox demon - 538 notable kills, got murdered in 242
"Zemel Spreadhero" - femal human necromancer - wrote 14 books, has a tower named "Bowjudges"
4 megabeasts, as above, all dead, male roc, bronze colossus, female hydra, zombie dragon
3 titans, also all dead, 2 glacier titans and one hill titan
all demons but 2 are dead too
2 dwarf civs: "The Rooms of Tiring" and "The Bodices of Craft"

Is that more like it?

« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 02:09:39 pm by XXSockXX »

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2014, 07:40:21 pm »

Worlds generated with -any- rejections will not reproduce reliably.  Especially true cross platform. (win->linux, etc)

This behavior (bug? feature?) is why, when I post worldgen seeds, I always ensure they're generated without rejections.

Also, as has been alluded to, LNP changes things.  Many things.  If it's not vanilla, again, all bets are off, you're on your own, YMMV, etc.

Vanilla + no rejections = win.
Pages: [1] 2