Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Not able to regenerate identical world from seed  (Read 4886 times)

Cragspyder

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Not able to regenerate identical world from seed
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2014, 10:33:04 pm »

Ok, I'm clearly an idiot. I have multiple DF versions, and I used a modded version of DF in trying to re-generate the world, now using my normal version, I get:

"Defini Mare" - "the Dimension of Souls"
"Sut Hatedcrypt the Terrors of Evil" - male fox demon - 538 notable kills, got murdered in 242
"Zemel Spreadhero" - femal human necromancer - wrote 14 books, has a tower named "Bowjudges"
4 megabeasts, as above, all dead, male roc, bronze colossus, female hydra, zombie dragon
3 titans, also all dead, 2 glacier titans and one hill titan
all demons but 2 are dead too
2 dwarf civs: "The Rooms of Tiring" and "The Bodices of Craft"

Is that more like it?

Wow, I really appreciate your help. That's exactly right.

So, the solution is to avoid all mods, even graphics packs?

Will there be a problem if I simply put another copy of Dwarf Fortress in a different folder, this one unmodded?

Cragspyder

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2014, 11:10:24 pm »

Success! I put another copy of Dwarf Fortress elsewhere on my computer, then used that copy with the seed and got the correct map. Then I just copy-pasted into the other folder and viola!

Now I can generate another 750 years of history (if my computer can handle it!) and then use that map instead. Thanks everyone for your help, especially XXSockXX for his testing and everyone else for pointing out that I'm a moron for trying to do this with ANY mods installed!

Lord knows why a graphics pack changes worldgen though!

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2014, 02:57:37 am »

Some alter the raws in more than just the graphics.

There was one (Mayday?) that, back in DF2010 at least, added a single ingredient cooking recipe/reaction, that was sufficient to change the way worlds were generated (or at least, that's what I believed to be the problem).

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2014, 07:22:47 am »

It's probably not the graphics pack, because even my "normal" unmodded DF version, the one that got the right result, has Mayday's Graphics.

Perhaps it is something else in the LNB, or some other change you made and then forgot about.

My modded version that produced the wrong result has changes in the creature raws and entity file and still managed to get a relatively close result (same map, some identical historical figures). From what you describe, your failed results were totally different from your original world, so the problem is probably something else. In my experience the differences should not be that big, except if you mess with rejections, which you didn't do.
Pages: 1 [2]