Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14

Author Topic: Canadian Politics Mega-Thread!  (Read 20055 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Canadian Politics Mega-Thread!
« Reply #150 on: July 28, 2015, 11:30:06 am »

Apparently Anonymous has started leaking cabinet documents on the Canadian government.  Of particular interest is CSIS attempting to spy on Obama, but getting caught and spoiling our relationship with him.   :P

That's what happens when you wear out the "i'm sorrys", Canada. Nobody believes it any more when you say it.
Love, scriver~

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 28, 2015, 11:42:49 am »

Guy wearing a mask and wielding a weapon gets shot by police.  Organization begins leaking classified data in response to the investigation into the shooting not being concluded with a rubber-stamp arrest of the responsible officer within 12 hours.  We will leave aside whether the shooting was justified or not due to lack of facts on the matter, but I suppose it's a good way to ensue that Canadian officials now can't really arrest the officer in question, even if they're guilty as sin, without making it look like they're caving to quote-unquote "cyberterrorism," though.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 28, 2015, 01:43:42 pm »

It's election year, so the Anti-Abortion activists have all climbed out of their holes and are showing up with graphic signs in random places (near my grocery store? A prime location for abortions?), and shoving ugly pamphlets in mailboxes all around Ottawa. Is this a local issue or are they national?

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 28, 2015, 02:05:04 pm »

Pretty sure it's the latter. Sadly. :c

Apparently Anonymous has started leaking cabinet documents on the Canadian government.  Of particular interest is CSIS attempting to spy on Obama, but getting caught and spoiling our relationship with him.   :P

That's what happens when you wear out the "i'm sorrys", Canada. Nobody believes it any more when you say it.
ahahahahahahhahahah so clever
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 28, 2015, 05:41:56 pm »

I haven't had time to look closely at any of it yet, as I'm going on vacation tomorrow, but I applaud any attempt to make the government more transparent.  :D

In a stunning turn of events, the United States Government is complaining that Canada is violating their privacy.

In other news; Germany asks Greece to forgive their debt, Ukraine invades Russia.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 29, 2015, 02:01:19 am »

...Canadian spy. Now that's a fun job, surely.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: September 09, 2015, 05:24:41 pm »

Liberals vow to have a deficit.   ???

Not that I'm necessarily opposed to spending billions of dollars on stuff[That part of their platform sounds really good], but its nice to actually HAVE the money before doing stuff like that. Or at least SOME of the money.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 09, 2015, 06:40:51 pm »

Ontario certainly doesn't have the money.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: September 10, 2015, 01:42:35 pm »

Sometimes you have to spend money you don't have to make money. Seems solid to me.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: September 10, 2015, 11:24:19 pm »

I just automatically discount the opinions of people who say stupid shit like "A government budget is exactly like a household budget - you need to spend within your means!"

When you can print your own money or invest in the roads and infrastructure around your house, then we'll talk :V
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #161 on: September 12, 2015, 05:13:56 am »

I just automatically discount the opinions of people who say stupid shit like "A government budget is exactly like a household budget - you need to spend within your means!"

When you can print your own money or invest in the roads and infrastructure around your house, then we'll talk :V
1. You're right, governments can just print off their own money to pay their debtors. Nothing could go Zimbabwe with this plan - NOTHING
2. Canadian gov doesn't let you invest in the roads or infastructure around your house?
How is spending within your means stupid if by definition spending out of your means is unaffordable? Greece is not a desirable economy :P

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 14, 2015, 12:46:42 am »

1. You're right, governments can just print off their own money to pay their debtors. Nothing could go Zimbabwe with this plan - NOTHING
2. Canadian gov doesn't let you invest in the roads or infastructure around your house?
How is spending within your means stupid if by definition spending out of your means is unaffordable? Greece is not a desirable economy :P
I'm not saying that it's a good idea to do so, but that's just one example of the many different tools governments have at their disposal that a household doesn't.

Also I'm not sure if it's possible, not directly. There's 'adopt a road' signs around, but I don't know the details of that, I do know you can't earmark your taxes to go to a specific areas infrastructure or education, and roads are publicly owned so unless that 'adopt a road' is more than just advertising for whoever adopts it, yeah. :V

Also it's stupid if you can grow your investment by more than the interest on the debt. And governments (at least the Canadian government) gets a better deal on debt than a household does so it makes more sense for a government to go into debt if it finances things that bring it more on the dollar. (Though, you know, student loans. We ARE talking Canada here, we haven't learned about the whole "pay for your citizens education" thing past high school)
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 14, 2015, 03:24:13 am »

Yeah, you can make a pretty penny borrowing as a government and investing that money. That's why Singapore got debts of over 100% of GDP despite running budget surplus all the time: it's good business to borrow yet more money and park it in their sovereign wealth fund.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: September 14, 2015, 05:51:27 pm »

It's also basic macro-economics.  With unemployment as high as it is, and inflation as low as it is, you want to deficit spend until inflation gets back to 2%-2.5% at which point you should stop the deficit spending.  When inflation is low, government spending doesn't come at the expense of private spending priorities because there are idle resources.  When inflation is high, government spending cuts free up resources that private spending wants to use.

Seeing good economics show up on a party platform is about as surprising as seeing good science.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 05:55:23 pm by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14