Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14

Author Topic: Canadian Politics Mega-Thread!  (Read 20021 times)

Aeax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Canadian Politics Mega-Thread!
« Reply #75 on: July 04, 2014, 06:32:32 pm »

Some places in the USA have outright unlimited and free internet outright... Canada will never have that.

If you mean a city providing free wifi, here is an example:

http://www.fred-ezone.ca/

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 04, 2014, 08:04:56 pm »

Hey, that's where I live.

That's because tiny old Fredericton is fucking amazing.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 04, 2014, 10:21:23 pm »

Some places in the USA have outright unlimited and free internet outright... Canada will never have that.

If you mean a city providing free wifi, here is an example:

http://www.fred-ezone.ca/

Having experienced it first-hand, it's not really anything amazing. My classmates were often without internet when they had to rely on it. And --

Hey, that's where I live.

That's because tiny old Fredericton is fucking amazing.
@____@!!!!
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 04, 2014, 10:24:41 pm »

Look out that window of yours. Any window at all.

I'll. Be. There.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 05, 2014, 01:07:19 am »

Yeah, Canadian telecom kind of sucks. Basically, whatever area you live in has one regional monopoly for cable and one regional monopoly for DSL. These regional monopolies in turn are required to open their lines to competitors, but they don't maintain/improve the infrastructure very much and since the competition is running on their infrastructure, if you subscribe to a smaller company and you get problems coming from the monopoly (problems with the line, problems with the cable box, etc), the monopoly will laugh at you and maybe send a maintenance man to investigate sometime in the next month all the while claiming that you must be responsible for the problem somehow.

Anyhow, it occasionally works out, but it varies from one area to the next. When I lived in BC, the two monopolies were Telus and Shaw, which were very competitive, regularly offered special deals, provided excellent customer service and generally did a good job of things. Meanwhile, in southwestern Ontario, your two options are Cogeco, which is generally apathetic when it comes to customer service and offers mediocre speeds at high prices, or Bell, which makes its money from scamming elderly farmers that don't understand what the internet is (eg. $10-20/month for 10 GB/month at slightly better than dial up speeds) and selling out torrent users to King Harper and his pals in the entertainment industry. The absolute fastest internet I could get, and this is with one of those unreliable minor "competitors" running through Cogeco's infrastructure, is 20MB/s. I've a friend across the river in Michigan who can get about the same speed with a mid-upper tier package from an actual provider for a fraction of the price, and people in the States complain about their internet being slow.

Oh, uh, voting? Well, at least federally, I have the fortune of living in a riding where my vote could conceivably count, since all three major parties have won the seat recently. Less fortunately, I detest the major parties about equally and no worthwhile minor parties (eg. the Marxist-Leninists) have seen fit to run a candidate here. Also, the elections generally aren't that close even though there is a lot of swing because it comes down less to moderate voters being convinced to switch parties and more whether the crazed religious extremists, grumpy, now largely unemployed autoworkers, or rich immigrants decide to show up on any given year.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 05, 2014, 07:15:33 am »

I'm reluctantly posting to watch. I still think the whole "make a 'megathread' for every single place on earth" thing is pointless.
Love, scriver~

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 05, 2014, 07:38:27 am »

yeah your attitude would change if you had enough forumites to make a megathread for your own country

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 05, 2014, 01:52:03 pm »

Ok something Canadian. dang it also must be politics.

Does anyone feel like the whole Rob Ford thing was just stretched out muuuuch longer then it should be? Like at a certain point it stopped being exposing someone's ill doings and started being dragging someone already in the mud through deeper mud for sensationalism?

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 05, 2014, 02:27:56 pm »

I can't even figure out how he's still mayor at this point.  It boggles my mind.  I mean, at the very least he's admitted criminal activities.  What does it take to actually get removed from office?

I admit its stretched out longer than it should have, but who would've thought he'd still be in office at this point.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 02:30:02 pm by Levi »
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 05, 2014, 02:29:01 pm »

...admitted, but was it proven to him in court?

he can say what he wants, as long as it's not legally 120% confirmed he can be mayor and jack shit can be done about him from that angle

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 05, 2014, 02:30:33 pm »

I can't even figure out how he's still mayor at this point.  It boggles my mind.  I mean, at the very least he's admitted criminal activities.  What does it take to actually get removed from office?

My best guess is that mostly it is bureaucracy that keeps him in office.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 05, 2014, 02:30:48 pm »

Shouldn't that have counted as a confession though?  How come the RCMP haven't stepped in?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 05, 2014, 02:31:42 pm »

Shouldn't that have counted as a confession though?  How come the RCMP haven't stepped in?

Do they normally deal with local crimes that can easily be dealt with by the local police?

This is the equivalent of asking the FBI to get involved.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 05, 2014, 02:34:20 pm »

one of these days that was in the past one of the wifi networks was named rcmp surveillance horse #106

i do not know what that brave soul was doing in wizerdtown but i'd salute their face off

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 05, 2014, 02:52:17 pm »

Do they normally deal with local crimes that can easily be dealt with by the local police?

This is the equivalent of asking the FBI to get involved.

Not sure.  I thought RCMP acts as the police in most cities?  I know where I live we have our own police force, but I wasn't sure that was the same everywhere in Canada.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14