Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14

Author Topic: Canadian Politics Mega-Thread!  (Read 20022 times)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Canadian Politics Mega-Thread!
« on: June 30, 2014, 09:06:20 pm »

We have those, actually! And it's not just being polite!

Same rules as the other threads, yada yada don't be an asshole act like a Canadian.

Anyway, to kick this off, I came across this thing~ 20k minimum income endorsed by "academics" (As far as I can tell, very few specifics of who those academics are)

Some of you may know that this is kiiiind of my pet issue :P So it's nice for me to see it puttering around. Of course, those in the comments are reacting as you'd expect, of course. "Oh they're so lazy!" "How could we afford it!" and various and sundry. Not very Canadian of them. Hell, some are railing against immigrants! D:

So, yer thoughts, fellow Canucks or Canucks-at-heart? Even if your heart isn't saturated in maple syrup, you are allowed to post of course. You just have to wear the ceremonial beaver hat, to denote your non-lumberjacking ways.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
Re: Canadian Politics Mega-Thread!
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 09:11:18 pm »

The American Megathread hereby calls for a liberating force to bring freedom to Canada so that the threads may merge, as is right and proper.

Carry on.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 09:15:14 pm »

wait, you have strategic maple syrup reserves, I forgot

Worth millions of dollars. No I am not even kidding.

Pure REAL maple syrup is freeken expensive. Most of the stuff you buy from the store is imitation or diluted.

There are fancy wines cheaper per ounce then Pure Maple Syrup.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 09:16:53 pm by Neonivek »

swordsmith04

• Bay Watcher
  • Communist Gnome
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 09:16:40 pm »

PTW

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 09:28:26 pm »

*A giant ball made out of pine needles falls from the sky, breaking open to reveal a confused and disheveled SalmonGod*

* SalmonGod gains his bearings, stretches, and composes himself...

My name is SalmonGod.  I'm an honorary Canadian, and I support this proposal.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 09:35:45 pm »

I am absolutely terrible about following politics, so imagine my surprise following the recent Ontario election to learn that the current elected premier of Ontario is not only a woman, but also openly homosexual.

It's a good sort of surprised. Bit embarassing that I only learned then, though, considering I live in Ontario. :P

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 09:49:51 pm »

I am Canadian. So how aboot them politics eh?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2014, 09:52:33 pm »

I am absolutely terrible about following politics, so imagine my surprise following the recent Ontario election to learn that the current elected premier of Ontario is not only a woman, but also openly homosexual.

It's a good sort of surprised. Bit embarassing that I only learned then, though, considering I live in Ontario. :P

In all fairness her opponent couldn't have been more unattractive if he tried.

Though I'd like to say that we really don't care if our Premier is a woman or homosexual.

Now if we can only get Rob Ford out of office...

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2014, 10:08:29 pm »

Though I'd like to say that we really don't care if our Premier is a woman or homosexual.

Indeed, I really like the idea that I never heard about it because it was (rightfully) treated as no big deal, and irrelevant to the outcome of the election. Having not followed anything leading up to the election, though, I have no idea if that's true.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2014, 10:34:50 pm »

In all fairness her opponent couldn't have been more unattractive if he tried.

That's putting it mildly. For those of you who don't know, her opponent was looking like the surefire winner... Until he opened his mouth and declared that he'd be cutting tons of public sector jobs (and probably some services too) if he got into office. His popularity pretty much plummeted after it. A police union even put out a radio ad saying to vote for anyone but him. Liberal, NDP, Libertarian, Marxist-Leninist... Voting for any other party is fine so that he wouldn't be elected. It was rather silly, honestly.

Indeed, I really like the idea that I never heard about it because it was (rightfully) treated as no big deal, and irrelevant to the outcome of the election. Having not followed anything leading up to the election, though, I have no idea if that's true.

I have no idea either. But then again I had no idea who was actually running despite being a Poll Clerk in the elections so... I'm probably not the best person to comment. Oh well, consider this a rambly PTW.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2014, 10:46:50 pm »

I am from Canadia. And I'm not up to date on current politics. But I SHOULD be and this thread is as good a method as any to do so. Plus this thread seems a lot less likely to degenerate into flamewars then some other politics threads I've seen.

Regarding the whole "minimum amount of income per person" thing. It SOUNDS like a good idea. Less poverty = good. At least for the people who were in poverty beforehand. But there would have to be some way to prevent abuses. And I'm not sure current taxation practices could sustain it. But in principle, it seems good. In practice could be a different thing altogether. My 2[No pennies in Canadia] 5 cents.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2014, 10:49:09 pm »

Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2014, 10:52:34 pm »

I'm not entirely sure how you could abuse "Citizen? 20k!~" to be honest.

Also, with more money circulating in the economy (It's the poor folk wot spend most of the money in the economy) tax revenue will rise even without raising taxes. Couple that with being able to do away with most of the bureaucracy involved in the current welfare system, plus current welfare being re-channeled, and while I'm sure taxes would go up a tad, I don't think it'd be that much. Someone would have to run the numbers, though.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2014, 11:18:11 pm »

We have those, actually! And it's not just being polite!

Canadians could be discussing a military take over of all North America, and to Americans, it would still sound like a friendly debate on geo-politics. Damn your nefarious politeness Canada!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 07:36:20 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2014, 12:12:26 am »

i will watch to post this now and not regret this later hopefully

worst thing that can happen is being drowned in a vat of pure maple syrup
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14