Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14

Author Topic: Canadian Politics Mega-Thread!  (Read 20014 times)

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
Re: Canadian Politics Mega-Thread!
« Reply #180 on: October 19, 2015, 09:47:31 pm »

Worked at a polling booth today. Great turnout. Good day for democracy. Gonna stay in my room for a day because oh my god so many people.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Malus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 19, 2015, 10:14:57 pm »

I'm a little concerned that the Liberals will renege on their promises to push for Electoral Reform. I'd like to have a proper Proportional Representation system in place by the next election — there are parties I wish I could've voted for, but under FPTP it'd be throwing my vote away.

Wolock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 19, 2015, 10:43:12 pm »

Election Reform is something you promise when you're in the opposition and rarely act upon once in government since it will make you lose seats and the majority. Since we don't have lots of experience with coalition government it's kind of hard to predict how the parties will adapt to it. Also when BC made a move for reform it didn't passed in the population so there's the chance of failing a major reform, and governments hate to take that kind of risks.

So I'd be surprise that they try to reform even if it's greatly need for a more democratic system.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 19, 2015, 11:19:09 pm »

I'm a little concerned that the Liberals will renege on their promises to push for Electoral Reform. I'd like to have a proper Proportional Representation system in place by the next election — there are parties I wish I could've voted for, but under FPTP it'd be throwing my vote away.

If they go back on that promise I will never vote for those asshats again.  Its really the only reason I voted for them in the first place.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: November 14, 2015, 12:16:45 am »

A federal judge with really fucked up views.

At one point, literally saying "I hope you don't live too long," to a victim of sexual abuse that was in his court.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: November 16, 2015, 12:49:23 pm »

A federal judge with really fucked up views.

At one point, literally saying "I hope you don't live too long," to a victim of sexual abuse that was in his court.
What??? Oh, wait, Alberta, ok, that makes sense... It's like Texas junior out there.
Edit: Jokes aside, I very nearly vomited reading that, totally disgusting shit there...
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 12:51:46 pm by timferius »

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: November 16, 2015, 04:11:40 pm »

Not to mention he was a lawyer in Botswana and South Africa for "decades."

You know. During Apartheid?
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: November 17, 2015, 09:13:33 pm »

Oooh, boy.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Wolock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: November 18, 2015, 02:29:52 am »

I saw that one in La Presse, the only good thing is that the federal court rarely if ever sit on that kind of case. Like it says only Parliament can dismiss him so I doubt it will happen.

That makes me remember when it was discovered that about two-thirds of judges nominated by the Parti Libéral du Québec for the Cour Supérieur were card-carrying villains members of the PLQ. I think we might need to overhaul how we choose judges in this country.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #189 on: November 18, 2015, 02:49:09 am »

Not to mention he was a lawyer in Botswana and South Africa for "decades."

You know. During Apartheid?

Please don't assume a white lawyer during apartheid must have supported it. In this case he's a right pile of excrement, but there's nothing supporting that.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: November 18, 2015, 12:03:33 pm »

I'm not saying he supported it, per se. I'm more going after being trained and working in law in a country with such a major part of it's system of justice being thus perverted was bound to influence him, perhaps to be more patronizing/patriarchal/conservative in general.

*shrug*

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #191 on: November 18, 2015, 12:14:24 pm »

Would you say the same thing about a black lawyer who'd worked for decades during apartheid? If you would then cool, you're entitled to your views even if I tend to mildly differ. If you wouldn't, then please think about your views.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: November 18, 2015, 12:29:38 pm »

Man, it's almost like the only time it's appropriate to point out double standards is when you're defending a piece of shit. :V

Keep on keeping on, Descan.
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #193 on: November 18, 2015, 12:36:22 pm »

Man, it's almost like the only time it's appropriate to point out double standards is when you're defending a piece of shit. :V

I never said he wasn't a piece of shit. I said saying it's because he was a lawyer during apartheid isn't necessarily accurate. Please don't misunderstand me. I get that in America the sentiment against white people is basically non-existent, but... that's not the case here. I don't want to have to deal with being a white South African during apartheid being a crime on the internet as well as in meatspace.

Which is not to say that what he did shouldn't be a crime, or whatever you want me to say bashing him.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: November 18, 2015, 12:40:39 pm »

I never said he wasn't a piece of shit. I said saying it's because he was a lawyer during apartheid isn't necessarily accurate. Please don't misunderstand me. I get that in America the sentiment against white people is basically non-existent, but... that's not the case here. I don't want to have to deal with being a white South African during apartheid being a crime on the internet as well as in meatspace.

Which is not to say that what he did shouldn't be a crime, or whatever you want me to say bashing him.
Yeah, but I really could have used your pointing out double standards when I was trying to convince islamaphobes that perhaps they shouldn't be pointing fingers at indoctrination in the middle east with Europes long history of it, and you weren't there, Arx. You weren't there, and they shut me down. You were supposed to have my back. :(
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14