Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 18

Author Topic: This is it, guys  (Read 34155 times)

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
Re: This is it, guys
« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2014, 09:43:21 am »

I'm gonna wait until there are working versions of both dfhack and therapist.

From what I understand, both of these applications are still being worked on by kindly programers who intend to update them for the new version so they should eventually be available.  :D
That is true, but the still run on top of the core DF executable.  Meanwhile, bug reports to stabilize that executable can only come from people using the vanilla interface.

I'll take a shot at it, even though it will mean a lot of step-by-step using the wiki.

Dirst cancels assign labors: wandering aimlessly through interface
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 02, 2014, 11:32:29 am »

Oh, it's this time of the century again ... whee!

But ... to be honest, most of you won't play until a proper DFHack version is out, since I know: YOU CANNOT WITHOUT!
I was Fortressing long before DFHack was even a gleam in their creators eye!  I dealt with the inability to forbid items, I dealt with redlining chasms, I dealt with no constructing walls, I dealt with seasonal flooding.  I know why elephants and carp were once feared.  I know of when a single sock outside the fortress or a butterfly jammed in a door would mean certain death.  I can handle a week or two of no DFHack wippersnapper.

Now, get off mah lawn!  *waves walking cane menacingly*
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 11:36:21 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Cosmitz

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 02, 2014, 12:39:38 pm »

August
0.whocares
2 It'll at least run. No guarantee on not crashing when loading saves.
Fortress

MoonCabbage

• Bay Watcher
  • Robot Rock, Robot
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 02, 2014, 01:13:51 pm »

playing buggy new releases separate the dwarves from the elves.
Everytime DF crashes a dwarf grows a third beard.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 02, 2014, 01:19:31 pm »

Really? Then every dwarf I've ever seen must have three beards, because DF2012 seems to crash a lot for me, almost always during worldgen.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 02, 2014, 02:09:09 pm »

Really? Then every dwarf I've ever seen must have three beards, because DF2012 seems to crash a lot for me, almost always during worldgen.
I've noticed that if I try to gen a second world in the same session, it crashes.  Since I have to go out to the main menu anyway, it's not much to just quit the game and come back in again before re-genning.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 02, 2014, 02:11:19 pm »

From what I understand, both of these applications are still being worked on by kindly programers who intend to update them for the new version so they should eventually be available.  :D
That is true, but the still run on top of the core DF executable.  Meanwhile, bug reports to stabilize that executable can only come from people using the vanilla interface.

I'll take a shot at it, even though it will mean a lot of step-by-step using the wiki.

Dirst cancels assign labors: wandering aimlessly through interface

The loss of DFhack won't bother me much at all, but I will REALLY miss Therapist.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 02, 2014, 02:36:26 pm »

I'll miss DT a lot too before it can adapt to the new version, this great application made Fortress mode with large populations a very lot more playable and then much more fun as it removed a lot of the tedious of the game UI regarding large pops, and it sped up a lot the job assignements.

DFHack will be another loss, especially for the many bug fixes that weren't fixed in 0.34.11 , at least i hope Toady will have fixed most of them in the new version.
And dfhack's mouse query plugin that i liked a lot since a year.

Will be hard to get used to the default interface to manage everything again.

samanato

• Bay Watcher
  • @ Gardevoirite
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 02, 2014, 02:43:55 pm »

It seems to crash a lot in worldgen for me too, almost always when I design with advanced parametres.  I'm not sure if it's because my copy is heavily modded?

Actually, forget crashes, multiple corrupted saves in a row are what grow beards. On that note, I wonder if DF can by itself somehow cause a kernel panic?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 02, 2014, 02:46:46 pm »

I generally use DFhack for the bugfixing and for cleanup stuff and workflow is VERY useful. I also like the prospect feature.

I've played without DFhack before (long time ago though), but DT is essential for managing the dwarves.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 02, 2014, 03:06:12 pm »

It's July now. Extremely early July, mind, but July nonetheless.
All bets are off now. DF2014 is closer than ever, and the longest development cycle yet is about to end...

So I've got a few, rather arbitrary, questions to you:

- When (day-wise) do you think the release is going to come out?
- What is its version number?
- On a scale from 1 (unplayable without a hot fix) to 10 (less bugged than 34.11) how broken is the new release gonna be?
- Finally... Fortress mode or Adventure mode?

-Saturday next week.
-ADVENTURE MODE HYYYPE

OTHER MATTERS

-MUST PUNCH BARMAN IN FACE

* Tawarochir has taken a level in WASCIIrlock!
* Tawarochir fires an Elitist Blast at the blasphemers using 3rd party utilities such as Dwarf The rapist, DFHack, and tilesets*!
*Users of the Matrix and other ascii tilesets are exempt because they embrace the ASCII
WHO NEEDS PUNY THE RAPISTS? I MANAGE MY DWARVES WITH MY OWN TWO FISTS! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
Puny tileset-requiring mortals! I EMBRACE THE ASCII! I AM THE MATRIX!
Eat MANLYFIRE YOU DEMON DFHACKERS!
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #56 on: July 02, 2014, 04:19:31 pm »

You might be waiting a while, then - if bugfix releases are frequent, it may take us several weeks to get all of the globals located and data structures realigned to the point that anything even runs, and quite a few plugins (including Autolabor) will need some major changes to get them working correctly.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 02, 2014, 04:23:18 pm »

You might be waiting a while, then - if bugfix releases are frequent, it may take us several weeks to get all of the globals located and data structures realigned to the point that anything even runs, and quite a few plugins (including Autolabor) will need some major changes to get them working correctly.
Did I mention yet that we love you and appreciate everything you do?   Because I do.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Ianflow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 02, 2014, 07:25:55 pm »

- When (day-wise) do you think the release is going to come out?
- What is its version number?
- On a scale from 1 (unplayable without a hot fix) to 10 (less bugged than 34.11) how broken is the new release gonna be?
- Finally... Fortress mode or Adventure mode?

I like the 4th idea, but I'll so safely with 6-8. I joked on reddit that we'd likely be waiting to 2015, until I actually checked out here the truth heheh.

Eh, from the blogs, I gotta say 3-4, I mean they're talking about how we'll as always, be relying on each other. Devs relying on users to report bugs, users relying on devs to fix bugs. This is going to be "bad", and by bad I mean FUN. Toady got 10 steps before it crashed, right? This'll be FUN!

I'll do a bit of both. I may try to get into coding, just so in the future I can make a bot that could play adventure mode and make some interesting potential Immigrants and such. Otherwise, I'll spend hours testing both Adventure and Fortress. I met a guy back at Phoenix Comicon who I'm sorta falling for, so I'm hoping he and I can trade worlds, or at do a succession thing together. "Two Gay Guys Play Dorf Fort". It could be fun for us to engineer forts for each other to break into.
And thus, "The running of the goblins" became an annual tradition and the first dwarven contraceptive.
There are no moghoppers. We have always been allies of Oceania, and at war with Eastasia.

Lightman

• Bay Watcher
  • The groboclones are looking for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 03, 2014, 05:13:42 am »

I was Fortressing long before DFHack was even a gleam in their creators eye!  I dealt with the inability to forbid items, I dealt with redlining chasms, I dealt with no constructing walls, I dealt with seasonal flooding.  I know why elephants and carp were once feared.  I know of when a single sock outside the fortress or a butterfly jammed in a door would mean certain death.  I can handle a week or two of no DFHack wippersnapper.

Now, get off mah lawn!  *waves walking cane menacingly*

You're not alone.  I remember those things, elephants being one I particularly enjoyed.  The lack of add-ons / tools won't be a bother, as I never use them.  But they are cool.  They're good for the community and getting people into the game.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 18