Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: problems equipping military  (Read 306 times)

lore

• Bay Watcher
  • A gamer has grown attached to a small laptop!
    • View Profile
problems equipping military
« on: June 30, 2014, 06:25:35 pm »

I set my military to have metal armor, and forged enough for all of them, but they won't pick it up. In the equip screen, it looks like they've claimed it but it just sits in the stockpile unworn. Currently their only order is training, and they took weapons and shields just fine.
Lore lets out a burst of laughter, squeaky and awkward!

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: problems equipping military
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 06:26:38 pm »

Station order

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 06:37:03 pm »

In the uniform, make sure the uniform is set to 'replace clothing' because if a dwarf is already wearing too much clothes they wont add armour on top. They will pick up weapon and shield and perhaps some random armor pieces but perhaps none. After setting to 'replace clothing' re-assign the uniform to the squad (A similar thing can happen if the uniform has incompatible item - for example assigning two gauntlets, instead of one gauntlets (hand and footwear are naturally pairs - unless you use the 'specific item' option))

If the uniform really is setup properly, there are also some 'ritual' things you can do like stationing the squad then unstationing, and forbidding the gear then reclaiming it (can help break 'stuck' tasks). Normally I find the rituals do nothing and there really is a problem with the uniform, or something else like the offending dwarf somehow ending up in an inaccessible location.
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

samanato

• Bay Watcher
  • @ Gardevoirite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 11:04:35 pm »

Soldiers won't pick up helmets and boots, if they're already wearing hats and shoes.  You can work around it by setting the soldier to "replace clothing", then changing the setting back, once they have all the armour on.