Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rain Vampire Blood?  (Read 1690 times)

AMTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Rain Vampire Blood?
« on: June 30, 2014, 02:05:26 am »

As in these worlds it often rains blood, would it be possible to set it up so that it might rain Vampire blood, with all the if you drink it consequences of the same?

I'm guessing the answer is no, as interactions like raining blood are probably set up before the characters are generated so probably before the vampire syndromes are. Also, I haven't seen evil rains modded so that might not even be possible.
 But out of hope I figured it was worth asking.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
Re: Rain Vampire Blood?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 01:31:01 pm »

You can make your own weather interactions.

But you would likely need to make a custom material to stand in for the blood. Just colour it red, name it 'vampire's blood', and give it a syndrome that causes vampirism when ingested, and it should be fine.

There are a few example interactions in the game already, which include evil weather. Below is the weather example, which causes clouds and rain, as well as raises corpses.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

One that has been trimmed to only cause rain would look something like this:

This one calls for the blood material of a creature whose ID is ANIMAL.

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 02:14:39 pm »

I used this with basalt in the hopes of getting magma rain. Did I do it right? That tag removal was probably unnecessary, but would their be any unforeseen consequences for leaving it in?
Also, many of my other regional interactions have this as a weather effect. Is there even a point to it or does it never rain normal water in affected regions?
Lastly, I tend to put the fun stuff in the first part of an interaction, the area where the 'dead get back up' bit goes in the vanilla interaction. Is this a bad idea?
In that example, will people just go crazy no matter where they are every so often, or do that have to get caught in the weather effect to be affected?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 02:21:15 pm by Blastbeard »
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 02:23:30 pm »

Also, many of my other regional interactions have this as a weather effect. Is there even a point to it or does it never rain normal water in affected regions?
That will only do anything if you have an inorganic material named WATER - if you don't, it'll probably glitch out and rain magma (or nothing at all). Also, it will still count as "freakish weather" and disturb your dwarves, so you probably don't want to actually use it.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 02:28:47 pm »

I used this with basalt in the hopes of getting magma rain. Did I do it right? That tag removal was probably unnecessary, but would their be any unforeseen consequences for leaving it in?

Shouldn't LIQUID just be MATERIAL?

The interaction page on the wiki makes no mention of it, at least.

I can't think of any problems with the NOFEAR effect. Are you attempting to make zombies with the interaction? It targets corpses, but doesn't raise them.

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 02:52:49 pm »

Shouldn't LIQUID just be MATERIAL?

The interaction page on the wiki makes no mention of it, at least.

I can't think of any problems with the NOFEAR effect. Are you attempting to make zombies with the interaction? It targets corpses, but doesn't raise them.
I have no way of telling if LIQUID or MATERIAL works. The errorlog doesn't give me any lip about using either, and trying to track down an affected region is next to impossible.
That interaction is meant to target anything, the corpse target bit is a leftover because I wrote it over a copy of the example interaction. I would have added FLEEQUICK along with NOFEAR if it was a supported tag, because I'm trying to simulate that it's raining molten rock and nobody wants to stick around for it. As it is now, it only makes the region so terrifying EVEN THE DEAD FEAR IT. Impressive, but useless.

That will only do anything if you have an inorganic material named WATER - if you don't, it'll probably glitch out and rain magma (or nothing at all). Also, it will still count as "freakish weather" and disturb your dwarves, so you probably don't want to actually use it.

I've used INORGANIC:WATER before in projectile attacks, and te names used for its various states sound right(water, ice, etc.). I used it the same way in an adventure mode reaction to give myself drinking material as well. It never gave me any trouble and I've assumed the whole time I found the code for water.
I used water for the weather effect because I thought it would act as a vector for the interaction's effect at first. Can't explain the logic behind that but I got the idea that wasn't the case after awhile. Now it's just there because I never took it out. It's sort of useful when it appears in regions that don't normally get rainfall, and if anything it's an indicator that the regional effect is about to kick in.
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 04:33:40 pm »

Is it possible to add an interaction to the material in the rain? If so, you could add the interaction VAMPIRE_1 to the blood to make it vampire blood.

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2014, 05:40:25 pm »

I think it would only snow rock instead of raining magma, because you can't tell i the temperature, but you'd have to check.
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2014, 05:49:42 pm »

Is it possible to add an interaction to the material in the rain? If so, you could add the interaction VAMPIRE_1 to the blood to make it vampire blood.

You can add a syndrome to the rain, and the syndrome can give an interaction. Or just have the syndrome give vampire-like characteristics and a syn class that prevents you from becoming a vampire a second time.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2014, 07:32:02 pm »

I've used INORGANIC:WATER before in projectile attacks, and te names used for its various states sound right(water, ice, etc.). I used it the same way in an adventure mode reaction to give myself drinking material as well. It never gave me any trouble and I've assumed the whole time I found the code for water.
I don't see how it could work, unless you happen to have modded in an inorganic material named WATER - the proper material token for water is "WATER:NONE".

Incidentally, your syntax is illegal - the token after IT_MATERIAL should be MATERIAL (i.e. [IT_MATERIAL:MATERIAL:WATER:NONE:WEATHER_FALLING_MATERIAL]), not LIQUID. Have you checked errorlog.txt lately?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 07:43:25 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2014, 07:47:48 pm »

I don't see how it could work, unless you happen to have modded in an inorganic material named WATER - the proper material token for water is "WATER:NONE".
I just combed through the raw folders for all three versions of DF2012 v0.34.11 I have(vanilla, old modded version I stopped using for some reason, current modded version), and found nothing matching that description. The closest was an artificial foodstuff named MATER, but that's a different thing entirely. I tried using WATER:NONE in my game and it doesn't work for some reason. It's like I said in another thread:
I still don't know how these things work, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2014, 11:48:39 pm »

Quick answer to a couple questions I saw: it does rain/snow as per normal in evil regions with falling rain. There's no need for a water rain intersection.

Also, its easier to find the regional effects you're looking to test if you do advanced world gen and lower the values for falling material, gas clouds and regional effects to zero. Custom effects will still show up.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.