Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 65

Author Topic: Dungeons and Dragons 3.5 Edition: Explorers of the Angaeron Ocean OOC  (Read 67415 times)

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons and Dragons 3.5 Edition: Explorers of the Angaeron Ocean OOC
« Reply #690 on: October 03, 2014, 12:00:09 am »

Also, IIRC Harbinger is correct that you pay normal cost under the conditions you specified. I guess you could rationalize it by describing it as being two weapons which happen to be attached or something? I've never actually used a double-headed weapon, so I'm not certain of the mechanics, but it seems like there's two options: the whole thing counts as one weapon but gives more than the normal number of attacks/has higher than normal damage for a single-headed equivalent (in which case the cost should be increased), or it's treated as multiple weapons (in which case they attack normally except for special circumstances? Maybe? And, of course, the cost should be normal for enchanting heads separately.)

Quote from: SRD
Double Weapons
Dire flails, dwarven urgroshes, gnome hooked hammers, orc double axes, quarterstaffs, and two-bladed swords are double weapons. A character can fight with both ends of a double weapon as if fighting with two weapons, but he or she incurs all the normal attack penalties associated with two-weapon combat, just as though the character were wielding a one-handed weapon and a light weapon.
The character can also choose to use a double weapon two handed, attacking with only one end of it. A creature wielding a double weapon in one hand can’t use it as a double weapon—only one end of the weapon can be used in any given round.

That brings up another idea, though: if the heads are treated as separate weapons for the purposes of enchantment, would the same hold true for material? Make one mythril to lighten the thing, or silver/cold iron for damage penetration against a common enemy in a campaign, &c?
Yes.

Yeah, I know it's not rules-legal in practice. It was a theoretical model to demonstrate the equivalency specifically in terms of the situation Nerjin was asking about, and I'm certain we both know what I meant. I worded it poorly -- it makes sense by RAW in terms of the cost of the enchantment if it were, hypothetically, to be crafted. Better?

Do keep in mind that what I said earlier carries over. If you try to start more pointless fights because of whatever problem it is you have with me, I'm not going to feed back into it, okay?  :)
>Pointing out misleading statements in a response to someone already confused by RAW is starting a pointless fight
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: October 03, 2014, 06:27:49 am »

Hm... I thought the halving of cost only counted for materials... Hm... I'll have to look more into these responses when I get a chance. Maybe this crafting thing won't be half the pain I expected it to be.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: October 03, 2014, 07:12:49 am »

Hm... I thought the halving of cost only counted for materials... Hm... I'll have to look more into these responses when I get a chance. Maybe this crafting thing won't be half the pain I expected it to be.
No, if you're crafting mundane stuff, the raw materials cost 1/3 of the item price. If you, for instance, wanted to make and enchant a standard longsword, you would pay 5gp for the raw materials for the longsword itself, 100gp for the crafting cost of the Masterwork component (whether that's fancier materials or what isn't really spelled out), 80xp and 1000gp for the costs involved in applying the enhancement yourself.
If you already had a Masterwork Longsword, it would just be 80xp and 1000gp for the costs involved in applying the enhancement yourself.
If you didn't have the skills to make the Masterwork Longsword, and didn't have one already, you'd have to pay 315gp (market price, anyway, discounting haggling or contact discounts or whatever) for the Masterwork Longsword then 80xp and 1000gp for the costs involved in applying the enhancement yourself.
If you, say, already had a +1 Masterwork Longsword and wanted to apply an extra +1 bonus, making it +2, you would pay the cost of the +2 bonus - the cost of the +1 bonus (since that is already applied).
There are also feats, items, spells etc that modify these, but these are the baselines.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: October 03, 2014, 03:16:39 pm »

Or more succinctly, the formula, assuming you have the crafting skill and the Craft Magic Arms and Armor feat, is Cost = [(1/3 of base price) + (1/3 of Masterwork component price) + (1/2 of enchantment price)]gp + (1/25 enchantment cost)xp.

I can't remember off the top of my head whether you pay xp for crafting mundane articles, but my intuition is no, and the SRD doesn't mention it.

Also note that you can't apply any special effect enchantments to an item that doesn't at least have a base +1 enchantment.

--

Seriously, H. You and I both know what I meant, and you're deliberately trying to get a rise. Don't.

It's not even like a misinterpretation of that would be remotely relevant for the foreseeable future, unless you think that 1st level characters are going to be doing Epic crafting, and it would be resolved as simply as "No, sorry, this is what I meant."
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 03:19:41 pm by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: October 03, 2014, 03:38:48 pm »

Or more succinctly, the formula, assuming you have the crafting skill and the Craft Magic Arms and Armor feat, is Cost = [(1/3 of base price) + (1/3 of Masterwork component price) + (1/2 of enchantment price)]gp + (1/25 enchantment cost)xp.
Base price is used as the terminology to refer specifically to "the market price of the enchanted item minus the price of the non-magical item", or what you've labelled as the enchantment price, the feat varies based on the item to be produced, and the masterwork component is removed for some magical items, but otherwise yes.

I can't remember off the top of my head whether you pay xp for crafting mundane articles, but my intuition is no, and the SRD doesn't mention it.
You do not. The exp is supposed to represent the investment of the caster's energy or life force or whatever into the bespelled item.

Also note that you can't apply any special effect enchantments to an item that doesn't at least have a base +1 enchantment.
"Special effect enchantments" here referring specifically to Weapon, Armour or Shield Special abilities, yes. You could potentially add certain other magical abilities to a weapon or piece of armour lacking a +1 bonus, like enchanting a quarterstaff as a Staff, and of course rings, amulets, wondrous items don't generally need an enhancement bonus.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: October 04, 2014, 11:58:49 am »

Lo and behold, the death of eight spiders leads you to an obscenely large amount of XP.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: October 04, 2014, 12:36:59 pm »

So anyways, I laughed hard at the picture there... So Sacha has leveled up. Groovy. I'm going to stay Cleric for now since Beolas has taught Sacha nothing about swordplay or the like yet. Which is unfortunate... Still...

5+2 means +7 to my max health bringing me to 20hp.

I gain an extra 1st level spell per day. I also gain +1 on Fortitude and Will saves.

I get +1 BAB now, which is nice.

I gain +4 Skill Points [+3 from Level up and +1 from Human] which I shall put into... +1 Knowledge (The Planes), +3 Craft (Weapon Smithing)

[[I figured since I hadn't used crafting yet and had no ranks in it that it would be okay for me to switch that to something new. If not I'll switch it back and put +3 into Concentration perhaps]]

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: October 04, 2014, 12:42:23 pm »

Level up time! \o/

Darwyn ascends to Level 2!

He gains 5 HP for a total of 13!

He now has a Fort save of +3 and a Will save of +3!

He now has a BAB of +1!

He gains 6 Skill points!
Survival + 1
Diplomacy + 3
Heal + 1
Swim + 1

He can now cast 4 0th-level spells and 3 1st-level spells per day!

...so wait, when did we kill all 8? I thought we still had three more to deal with (five survived the boulders, two got up to us first).
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 01:19:27 pm by Sirus »
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: October 04, 2014, 12:44:40 pm »

Oh right... Forgot about that 0th level spell I got... Added that. I can cast 4 of them now.

ALSO: How do you get a feat? It's 2nd level... Not 3rd.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: October 04, 2014, 12:47:27 pm »

I swear we got a feat at level 2...but I can't find the spot on the SRD that lists the bonuses you get at each level ???

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: October 04, 2014, 12:49:34 pm »

Some classes get bonus feats at Level 2 [Rangers and Fighter I believe are two of them] however most classes only get feats at level 3, 6, 9 etc. etc.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: October 04, 2014, 12:59:08 pm »

...could you direct me to a table that lists these things? Also when we get bonuses to our ability scores and other stuff. I can't find anything like that :[

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: October 04, 2014, 01:02:47 pm »

It's not on the SRD I'm afraid. I do know [I'm reasonably certain] that you get feats every 3 levels and ability bonuses every 4 [starting at 4th].

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: October 04, 2014, 01:05:46 pm »

...so wait, when did we kill all 8? I thought we still had three more to deal with (five survived the boulders, two got up to us first).
What?

There were two waves; you crushed the first two, but the wave of five was too much and you only managed to take 3 before the remaining 2 got to the top.

As for level up charts, you can get that kind of stuff off of DnDwiki and just googling it.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: October 04, 2014, 01:09:07 pm »

...could you direct me to a table that lists these things? Also when we get bonuses to our ability scores and other stuff. I can't find anything like that :[
IIRC it's not part of the OGL, so it's not listed in any SRD source. There's a table in the PH, containing exp needed, max skill ranks, feats, etc.

It's not on the SRD I'm afraid. I do know [I'm reasonably certain] that you get feats every 3 levels and ability bonuses every 4 [starting at 4th].
Correct.
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 65