Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 65

Author Topic: Dungeons and Dragons 3.5 Edition: Explorers of the Angaeron Ocean OOC  (Read 67379 times)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons and Dragons 3.5 Edition: Explorers of the Angaeron Ocean OOC
« Reply #270 on: July 03, 2014, 10:21:47 am »

Wouldn't toughness pretty quickly become ineffective towards higher levels? Maybe for really squishy, low level characters, but later on you might regret not having a more persistently useful feat.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: July 03, 2014, 10:36:03 am »

It says I still have to be, implying I had to be in the first place for that section to apply.

I can rules-lawyer just as good as you, Nerjin. :P

Except for the house rule section I suppose. I think I recall Mr. DM saying you can be a Chaotic Good palidin. In most cases you can't take a level in paladin without being LG.

It helps to read, I think. He's starting as a CG Bard and planning to later take levels in Paladin, which will require him to switch to LG, but he also will take a feat which allows him to continue as a Bard while being Lawful as well as using his cross-class levels to determine his Smite Evil and bardic music strength. After the DM specifically allowed non-Core feats.  :P

Hell, there's practically an identical one which allows Swashbuckler and Rogue levels to count for each other for determining sneak attack damage and the strength of various Swashbuckler class features.

Wouldn't toughness pretty quickly become ineffective towards higher levels? Maybe for really squishy, low level characters, but later on you might regret not having a more persistently useful feat.

Very, very quickly. As above, it offers less HP than the average HD roll per level for any class but a Wizard/other d4 classes. So it's outscaled by one level (or a fraction of a level) for most classes (or a lucky d4 roll), or two levels for classes with d4 HD. Plus it's a feat slot. Those are one of the most limited resources you have, and HP, even for a super-squishy super-low level character is a pittance compared to what you can get.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 10:43:21 am by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: July 03, 2014, 10:45:57 am »

Can't you retrain feats - taking Toughness early on and then replacing it once you have a few levels built up? Or is that more of a 4e thing?

Oh yes, my spells for today. Jeez, I've never used one of these "must figure them out in advance" classes before.

0th-level spells
  • Purify Food and Drink
  • Light
  • Guidance
1st-level spells
  • Cure Light Wounds
  • Goodberry
2nd-level spell (bonus from Wisdom score): Barkskin
3rd-level spell (ditto): Water Breathing
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: July 03, 2014, 11:05:58 am »

IIRC there is a clause or two about retraining in PHB II, I'll dig around and find it.

Found it. Each time you level up, you can do one of the following:

1. Exchange one class feature for another (AKA take an ACF).
2. Exchange one feat for another for which you qualify.
3. Exchange one language for another.
4. Exchange ranks between TWO skills.
5. Exchange one spell for another.
6. Exchange a class level for a substitution level.

You also have to do it before applying any of the normal aspects of leveling up.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 11:10:08 am by Flying Dice »

3. Run Resize Enable

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: July 03, 2014, 11:26:48 am »

Is Skill Focus: Speak Language even a thing? Back before I gave myself extra INT to give myself all the languages I'd need, I went hunting for a feat that would give me a language (and was going to take a fault to pay for it), but came up unsuccessful. Of course I was mostly skimming and I'd rather just be smarter to begin with, but now I'm curious.

Anyhoo, I think the whole age progression thing is kinda stupid. If D&D is meant to be a roleplaying game, then it seems logical that someone might want to roleplay a tough old badass warrior without worrying about his STR and DEX being lower than the resident squishy mage who happens to be a couple of decades younger. I'd rather do away with it entirely, considering this is a setting where disease and injury aren't quite the threats they would have been in real life around the same technology level thanks to the abundance of healing magic. Plus, if my understanding is correct, many characters in a long-running campaign where age becomes a factor become essentially immortal as they rise in level and find amazing magical items anyway.

Look, to avoid issues I'll drop Darwyn's age to 33. Still among, if not the oldest, still old enough to be considered an uncle, and no more worrying and fussing about this age thing that, again, I'd sooner houserule away.
If age is really going to matter, then Gig will have to significantly age-up his gnome. According to the chart Rolep linked earlier gnomes reach adulthood when they turn 40. We've got the equivalent of an older toddler running around with us.

Taking points in Speak Language gives you bonus languages.

Also, did you not hear me?

Age: Considering I'm doing Point Buy, we can assume Darwyn's stats have already declined to their current state.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: July 03, 2014, 11:31:27 am »

Of course I didn't hear you. You can't hear text :V
No, I missed that

Also I will totally be taking Master Linguist as early as possible. I know 4 languages already, might as well continue my studies.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: July 03, 2014, 11:50:58 am »

I don't like optimizing. It's kinda... meh for me. Sorry everyone. My choices won't be the right ones. If they are the right ones, they're for different reasons.

I personally don't like Power Gaming. It makes me feel awful if I'm the strongest of the party cause everyone needs a thing to do. If I do everything better I feel like I'm being a total prick. I had hoped my inexperience would help me not make overpowered choices but...

I actually just took Cleric because I wanted to be a party support. Apparently I'm capable of being the party everything... Whoops.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: July 03, 2014, 11:57:36 am »

Since nothing really interesting has happened yet, or at least nothing involving your equipment or class, it probably isn't too late to change if you want to.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: July 03, 2014, 11:58:00 am »

I don't like optimizing. It's kinda... meh for me. Sorry everyone. My choices won't be the right ones. If they are the right ones, they're for different reasons.

I personally don't like Power Gaming. It makes me feel awful if I'm the strongest of the party cause everyone needs a thing to do. If I do everything better I feel like I'm being a total prick. I had hoped my inexperience would help me not make overpowered choices but...

I actually just took Cleric because I wanted to be a party support. Apparently I'm capable of being the party everything... Whoops.
It's all good. I dislike Power Gaming as well, but in my opinion it's only really Power Gaming if you're doing stuff like deliberately exploiting game mechanics, bending rules, or looking up powerful pre-made builds online. If you just do stuff that fits your character, even if it is considered "sub-optimal", you're fine.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: July 03, 2014, 12:00:00 pm »

Since nothing really interesting has happened yet, or at least nothing involving your equipment or class, it probably isn't too late to change if you want to.

Sacha is a character now. She has interacted with the others. I'm not going to screw her out of a life because some would abuse being a cleric. I'll be fine. That said, can you give Gig or Ness the go ahead or is there something they still need to do?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: July 03, 2014, 12:07:20 pm »

That's pretty much the point I was making: Cleric is a good choice for a character where you're just going to do whatever, because you don't worry about being irrelevant.  :)

3. Run Resize Enable

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: July 03, 2014, 12:10:57 pm »

Yep. I'm taking those glass bottles by the way. Just thought everyone should know.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: July 03, 2014, 12:13:47 pm »

You said as much in-character :P

I wonder what sort of crafting Darwyn could eventually focus on...

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: July 03, 2014, 12:15:12 pm »

It's all good. I dislike Power Gaming as well, but in my opinion it's only really Power Gaming if you're doing stuff like deliberately exploiting game mechanics, bending rules, or looking up powerful pre-made builds online. If you just do stuff that fits your character, even if it is considered "sub-optimal", you're fine.
Oh yeah. That too.

Crappy characters are more fun to RP anyway.

Also, Gig, Rolep, if either of you don't want your characters slapped awake, you might want to finish soon.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: July 03, 2014, 12:20:50 pm »

I'll just go ahead and inflict awakeness on them.

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 65