Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 65

Author Topic: Dungeons and Dragons 3.5 Edition: Explorers of the Angaeron Ocean OOC  (Read 67346 times)

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons and Dragons 3.5 Edition: Explorers of the Angaeron Ocean OOC
« Reply #255 on: July 02, 2014, 11:24:23 pm »

Also, I wouldn't figure you to be so in tune with such a miniscule rule considering the slack you're getting with the Palibard deal.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: July 02, 2014, 11:40:33 pm »

What, slack? Devoted Performer is specifically made about Paladin/Bards. If it wasn't there I wouldn't be trying for it.

I'm pointing out rules so people can take them into account, since the SRD isn't exactly the most 'hey look here' about that sort of thing.

Also, only thing that makes it miniscule is that it doesn't come up all that often. :P

Finally: I see you're well-versed in the Goblins comic universe. Though I don't see why he'd splat from it. Nor do I see why a commoner would do untrained labor(it just seems silly that so many do, I mean honestly), since they almost all have enough skill points to put 4 ranks into Craft or Profession.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: July 02, 2014, 11:45:14 pm »

What, slack? Devoted Performer is specifically made about Paladin/Bards. If it wasn't there I wouldn't be trying for it.

Oh right. That. I only have the first handbook and won't download others due to moral concerns on my part.

I'm pointing out rules so people can take them into account, since the SRD isn't exactly the most 'hey look here' about that sort of thing.

That it is not. That it is not.

Also, only thing that makes it miniscule is that it doesn't come up all that often. :P

I suppose. I don't know however. I still think we should just assume he already did that. Old age and Velnerable I could see pointing it out. But at middle age? It's essentially not an issue at all.

Finally: I see you're well-versed in the Goblins comic universe. Though I don't see why he'd splat from it.

Not really...

Nor do I see why a commoner would do untrained labor(it just seems silly that so many do, I mean honestly)

Because they find it more fulfilling? Because in real life nobody minmaxes?

since they almost all have enough skill points to put 4 ranks into Craft or Profession.

Profession (Unskilled Labor) is my favorite thing to put points into. I just made Sacha a Angler because we need to eat.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: July 02, 2014, 11:58:44 pm »

Oh right. That. I only have the first handbook and won't download others due to moral concerns on my part.
There's a site with the stuff, you know. You don't even have to download anything. Not like they still print the 3.5 books anyway.

Nor do I see why a commoner would do untrained labor(it just seems silly that so many do, I mean honestly)

Like hell they don't. I'll have you know that I took a class this very year specifically about choosing a career that suited my strengths and didn't require my weaknesses.

Plus, pretty sure the whole 'trying to make more money' thing could be considered that.

since they almost all have enough skill points to put 4 ranks into Craft or Profession.

Profession (Unskilled Labor) is my favorite thing to put points into. I just made Sacha a Angler because we need to eat.
So...very redundant...and oxymoronic...you have a skill called "Unskilled X"...

Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: July 03, 2014, 12:02:42 am »

There's a site with the stuff, you know. You don't even have to download anything. Not like they still print the 3.5 books anyway.

Indeed. Also, you have to become Lawful good right? I just read the feat. You can gain Bard levels while being Lawful now, but you have to be Lawful Good to use the Paladin stuff right?

Like hell they don't. I'll have you know that I took a class this very year specifically about choosing a career that suited my strengths and didn't require my weaknesses.

Plus, pretty sure the whole 'trying to make more money' thing could be considered that.

Sheesh, you're just like Giglamesh or something. "I want to have good stats so I can do my part to help the team. Waaah waaah waaaaaaaah". Be like me. Assign stuff randomly. Do it for fun! Responsibility is for narcs.

So...very redundant...and oxymoronic...you have a skill called "Unskilled X"...

I've put fourteen ranks into Profession (Unskilled Labor). I am very skilled at Unskilled Labor. It's a thing. Deal with it.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: July 03, 2014, 12:09:34 am »

Also: Are Ness and Gig just going to show up whenever or...?

We sorta can't continue until the two of you show up.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: July 03, 2014, 12:11:52 am »

Thing is, in practical terms, there's no such thing as "unskilled" labor. Every task you can perform is performed more efficiently and better with the benefit of skill and experience, no matter how simple.

Also this.
Also: Are Ness and Gig just going to show up whenever or...?

We sorta can't continue until the two of you show up.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: July 03, 2014, 12:12:47 am »

It says I still have to be, implying I had to be in the first place for that section to apply.

I can rules-lawyer just as good as you, Nerjin. :P

Meh. I like my characters competent as well as interesting. Half the reason I like playing sneaky archetypes; they can be skillmonkeys and whatnot without being overpowered, but I don't need to do ludicrously unrealistic shit in order to make them viable.

Still not sure if you say you're skilled at being unskilled. Kinda defeats the point. :p

Hey, though: I ain't makin' Ness to be OP. Paladin/bards aren't exactly the most powerful builds, you know. And I don't even have Dragonfire Inspiration. Then again, I'm still not going to take toughness....ever....

I was just kinda waitin' for Mr. DM to give the go-ahead for me to go ahead.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: July 03, 2014, 12:18:01 am »

It says I still have to be, implying I had to be in the first place for that section to apply.

I can rules-lawyer just as good as you, Nerjin. :P

Except for the house rule section I suppose. I think I recall Mr. DM saying you can be a Chaotic Good palidin. In most cases you can't take a level in paladin without being LG.

Meh. I like my characters competent as well as interesting. Half the reason I like playing sneaky archetypes; they can be skillmonkeys and whatnot without being overpowered, but I don't need to do ludicrously unrealistic shit in order to make them viable.

Exactly!

Still not sure if you say you're skilled at being unskilled. Kinda defeats the point. :p

Unskilled labor is just stuff you don't have to get a bunch of training to do I guess? I dunno.

Hey, though: I ain't makin' Ness to be OP. Paladin/bards aren't exactly the most powerful builds, you know. And I don't even have Dragonfire Inspiration. Then again, I'm still not going to take toughness....ever....

Is something wrong with toughness?

I was just kinda waitin' for Mr. DM to give the go-ahead for me to go ahead.

Well I guess someone, I'm not naming names, should go get them or something?

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: July 03, 2014, 12:55:04 am »

Y'all better get back on the respect train.

Ness and Gig: they have slept in today.

Age: Considering I'm doing Point Buy, we can assume Darwyn's stats have already declined to their current state. Also, as for age, it is as a result of the following.

Unskilled Labor: Beware that unskilled work pays very badly.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: July 03, 2014, 12:58:07 am »

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm
Also a legitimate thing. Even SRD.

As for toughness...well...you get 3 hp. Once. At the cost of a feat. Which you get a total of about 7-8 of, tops, So you kinda need to make them count. Toughness doesn't. That said, it's sometimes a feat tax...but I believe it's generally regarded as the worst feat in the game. Disregarding silly things like Skill Focus: Speak Language, that is.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: July 03, 2014, 02:18:28 am »

Is Skill Focus: Speak Language even a thing? Back before I gave myself extra INT to give myself all the languages I'd need, I went hunting for a feat that would give me a language (and was going to take a fault to pay for it), but came up unsuccessful. Of course I was mostly skimming and I'd rather just be smarter to begin with, but now I'm curious.

Anyhoo, I think the whole age progression thing is kinda stupid. If D&D is meant to be a roleplaying game, then it seems logical that someone might want to roleplay a tough old badass warrior without worrying about his STR and DEX being lower than the resident squishy mage who happens to be a couple of decades younger. I'd rather do away with it entirely, considering this is a setting where disease and injury aren't quite the threats they would have been in real life around the same technology level thanks to the abundance of healing magic. Plus, if my understanding is correct, many characters in a long-running campaign where age becomes a factor become essentially immortal as they rise in level and find amazing magical items anyway.

Look, to avoid issues I'll drop Darwyn's age to 33. Still among, if not the oldest, still old enough to be considered an uncle, and no more worrying and fussing about this age thing that, again, I'd sooner houserule away.
If age is really going to matter, then Gig will have to significantly age-up his gnome. According to the chart Rolep linked earlier gnomes reach adulthood when they turn 40. We've got the equivalent of an older toddler running around with us.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 02:44:05 am by Sirus »
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: July 03, 2014, 05:41:45 am »

Is Skill Focus: Speak Language even a thing? Back before I gave myself extra INT to give myself all the languages I'd need, I went hunting for a feat that would give me a language (and was going to take a fault to pay for it), but came up unsuccessful. Of course I was mostly skimming and I'd rather just be smarter to begin with, but now I'm curious.
Technically, there's nothing saying you can't take Skill Focus (Speak Language). It just happens to be completely useless, since you never make Speak Language checks. If you want to spend a feat to get extra languages, you either spend a feat on Master Linguist if you already speak 4 languages, a feat on Open Minded for 5 skill points to spend on Speak Language, or, if you're epic and speak 5 languages already, a feat on Polyglot.
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: July 03, 2014, 08:05:17 am »

Am I just being dumb? I can't find the amount of starting gold for a wizard in this thread. Hmm. Aside from that, he's done.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I forgot to mention cash. Erm... Let's go with 200 for Paladins, Fighters, and Rangers, 150 for Clerics, Rouges, and Bards, 100 even for Barbarians, Sorcerers and Wizards, and 75 for Monks and Druids.

Also, if your cleric is "abrasive", you might like to take the Abrasive trait from Unearthed Arcana.

There ya go.

And I like toughness... It's my personal favorite feat.

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 65