Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Struggling to choose a new monitor  (Read 739 times)

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Struggling to choose a new monitor
« on: June 28, 2014, 10:37:22 pm »

Hello everyone, I have two monitors I am looking at right now.

For future reference I am running an MSI Nvidia GTX 780 and I have 16gb of RAM.

The first monitor is this:

The ASUS PB287Q, a fairly affordable (£570) 28" 4k monitor. I like this monitor because it pushes my PC to the brink and goes further. I also enjoy being an early adopter of new technologies and I am very interested in 4k. This monitor ticks a hell of a lot of boxes for me on all counts.

My only problem is that my PC is not good enough to run a monitor like this on something like GTA 5 at native resolution, completely maxed out without a hell of a lot of strain; I don't know if it would be unplayable. I was thinking I could downscale for more strenuous games to 1440p and go up to the native resolution for games that my PC could cope with until I upgrade (i.e. get another GPU and run the two together through SLI). I don't like the idea of running the screen in a non-native resolution but that is not impossible for me, I used a widescreen TV as a monitor in the wrong (lower) resolution for 3 years. Besides, how much worse than the a 1440p-native monitor can it be? The PPI between the 28" 4k monitor and a similar 27" 1440p monitor I looked at seemed to check out, so there should be very little difference.

One minor issue may be that it is TN, not IPS. The fact that the refresh rate is 60hz doesn't bother me, that's what I experience right now so there's no problem.

The second is this:

The LG 34UM95, a 34" widescreen 21:9 monitor. I am not a big fan of monitors in this style (vertical real estate and all that) but I am attracted to it because it is IPS (my understanding is that the colours are more vibrant than with TN, but blacks aren't as good) and because I am fairly certain my PC could run something like GTA 5 on the monitor's native resolution, maxed out without many problems. The thing is there's not much price difference and I would prefer the Asus' aspect ratio.

I could also acquire a 27" 1440p monitor for about £150 less than the 4k one, but if I'm going up as high as that in price I may as well just go the whole hog and future proof this PC.

Many thanks.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 10:40:50 pm by Owlbread »

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
Re: Struggling to choose a new monitor
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 09:25:51 am »

4k resolution is exactly double 1080p, so if you can set it to upscale without filtering, or if it literally pixel-doubles, you'll get a very nice crisp 1080p picture on a 4k monitor.
It's also exactly 3x 720p :)

I'd love a 4k monitor.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 09:49:22 am »

4k resolution is exactly double 1080p, so if you can set it to upscale without filtering, or if it literally pixel-doubles, you'll get a very nice crisp 1080p picture on a 4k monitor.
It's also exactly 3x 720p :)

I'd love a 4k monitor.

double dimensions, that is; there are four times as many pixels as 1080p

and therefore presumably nine times as many as 720p
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 09:37:40 pm »

Why not just go up to a tv at that point?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 12:24:12 am »

I mean if you get that 4K monitor, all you would have to do is slap in another SLI card and your eyes will explode from the pixel amounts. 1440p monitor though will make sure to get full use out of your card as the time comes. Hell i would stop at 1440p and consider setting up multi-monitors. Either way you win :D