Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11

Author Topic: Cavern Keep - [Pixel RPG] & [ISG]  (Read 16005 times)

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
Re: Cavern Keep - [Pixel RPG] & [ISG]
« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2014, 12:43:08 am »

Weapon: A metal shield with a large spike embedded for bashing. ((Defense is important for the early game, fellas. Actual weapons can wait.))
Toolkit: An athame, a chalice, a wand, six red and six black candles and a tinderbox for summoning rituals.

"Heh, capturing creatures shouldn't be an objective before we get a decent foothold. I will join you in the hunt, but I, too, would like to hear about the facilities of this keep."
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 12:45:47 am by IcyTea31 »
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 02, 2014, 01:59:38 am »

"Interesting... While it cheers me to have another hunter as a company, I think you're mistaken. We kill the strong and tame the weak. That's how things always stand in nature. Strong beasts won't surrender until you show them you're much, much stronger..."
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

Jboy2000000

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello good people of the interwebs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 02, 2014, 02:03:09 am »

I must say that I do agree with the reptile.
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."

Just goes to show, even a Male Doctor that Looks Like a Female and a Criminal with Poor Hygiene Habits can fall in love.

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 02, 2014, 02:51:03 am »

Another question I do have. You summoned us here, to protect your keep. A task that without doubt will be laborious. Now, greedy is the last thing I want to appear, but will we receive and compensation for aiding you?"

"Compensation, you say?"

Ignacius grin widens to an uncomfortable degree, before he reigns it back in.

"Well, sure enough - you will be compensated, and even fairly at that. After you have shown me results, that is. Before that is achieved, talking about what rewards you would imagine is somewhat of a moot point."

"I don't suppose there any facilities in this keep, are there? Furthermore, what are you policies on the looting of those... uninvited guests of yours?"

"Well, we once had pretty much a bit of everything in these walls. Barracks, some rooms dedicated to various crafts, even a whole library of more or less arcane nature. Sadly, that was... centuries ago. To be honest, the place was also looted and vandalized before it was left to rott, so the smithy and some cells with rusty bars might be the only things that remain rather untouched."

"We also have a spring, tapped directly to a lake above this cavern, but it has clogged quite severly over the times - as has the aqueduct and sewage system that once fed the fields outside of the city. Or what remains of the later."

After seemingly contemplating the matter silently for a few seconds, he only gives a shrug as further answer.

"As for your other question - you can loot what you want, and even have the right to take them prisoner for all I care. Just don't get into fights over it, and don't let them get away are the only guidelines that I would like to impose on you. Basic stuff, really."

Ignacius then shifts his attention to the other two winged creatures in the room.

"Feel free to build your god an altar, just don't get too preachy about him to those that have no interest. Which would include me, by the way."

"As for cages... I know our elves had some of them for their.. recreation. If there are any left, they will be quite rusty, maybe even more so than the cells."

How will magic for characters work?

Out of combat? Knock yourself out. As long as it - more or less clearly - belongs into your field of expertise, and is within the reach of your ability, you can have a go at it. So if you have any enchantment or similiar that you want to weave, feel free to "present" your project, I will tack some numbers on it, and then you can work on it over multiple shifts, if neccessary.

Inside of combat will be a tad more restricted. You won't make it in time for this fight if you start to summon any aid by that point. Else, you are invited to use or abuse your magic in ways that would not cut it in "mechanical" rpg's. I thought about this some more, and have a - at least in my view - better suggestion below.

Faith is even a tad more versatile, but quite dependant on the favour of the priest. So, while all of that sounds quite vague, it also allows you a nice deal of freedom. I'm sure we will manage the magic part to everyones satisfaction. Oh, and same obviously also applies to crafts.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 08:17:37 am by escaped lurker »

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 02, 2014, 03:17:34 am »

"That spring sounds like something we should get running at some point, but let's get moving and explore these caverns."

First shift: Summon a low-level demonic minion that doesn't require any special components for the summoning or heavy maintenance.
Second shift: Join Agex in the hunt.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 04:37:57 am by IcyTea31 »
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 02, 2014, 03:23:23 am »

Agex grumbled something at the mention of the water - he was not fond of it despite needing regular intake for his own survival.
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 02, 2014, 03:54:09 am »

Well then, time to move the plot further, I guess. Some of you have already bolded planned actions, but for the others I do not really know what you are planning. So~ intro is about to be over. Let's get going.

Since you will discover quite a lot - it being the first day and all - I think dong this day on two takes should be best. Oh, right. Be a gem and be specific with your actions. Well, as far as possible, that is ;3

Day 1
First Shift:
Second Shift:

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 02, 2014, 04:12:03 am »

First shift: Scout the surrounding area, using stealth. Avoid potentially dangerous monsters.
Second shift: If not alone, hunt for some weak creeps. If no were found, continue exploration.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 02, 2014, 06:47:14 am »

First shift:
Bless the ones that are going to hunt/explore
"May the Darkener let you pierce his veil, and blind your preys and foes"

Make it something that boosts stealth or similar.

Second shift:
Explore the dungeon. Look for a place where an altar could be built, a place where food prisoners could be kept and where the library was. Also claim the best room possible.

((Question: do vampires need to sleep?))

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 02, 2014, 08:16:17 am »

((Question: do vampires need to sleep?))

Yep. I played with the idea of giving certain unliving creatures that as a racial ability, but having a quarter more time is a bit unbalanced. Sure enough, many of the races are not really all that balanced, but that would be a bit too favourable.

Actually, on the matter of magic. I thought about it some more, and think that in battle, you need to know the spells you are about to cast. Every start-level in magic gives you one of them, and more can be learned by research and on achieving higher spell levels.

Lets take as example a Lvl 4 Fire Elementalist. He would get the typical Fireball at Lvl 1, Weapon Infusion at Lvl 2, Wall of Fire at Lvl 3, and Ring of Fire at Lvl 4.
This system would make magic more tangible for combat, and we don't need any discussions if "that spell you want to do right now" is o-k for combat, or what your options are anyway. The spells would obviously be up to you.

If there are no negative views on this system, I say we implement it next turn. At least in my view it would still allow for "fluent" magic, but also speed up any combat scenarios by the ease of use.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 02, 2014, 08:52:49 am »

((Well, I like it. It allows for less exploits in the system, and also to make everything less vague overall. And maybe it helps with making research more important.))

((Also, I have another question: how about specific things that could be achieved by using different spells. Like, an Earth Elementalist trying to build with magic. Would that be possible?))

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 02, 2014, 10:05:48 am »

Throw me on the waitlist.

Also I got a bit curious and so made a chart of about half the current roster.
Spoiler: Everyone Loves Charts (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 02, 2014, 10:11:15 am »

Perfect.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 02, 2014, 10:12:08 am »

I looks great, and maybe would even help he GM eventually

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 02, 2014, 10:14:35 am »

"Interesting... While it cheers me to have another hunter as a company, I think you're mistaken. We kill the strong and tame the weak. That's how things always stand in nature. Strong beasts won't surrender until you show them you're much, much stronger..."

The harpy emits a tutting squawk. "Cages, time, and perhaps a bit of Druidic magic go a long way towards taming even the most prideful of beasts...

Anyway, I am sure others will take inventory for us. Shall we go out and hunt for meat then Salamander? We can discuss the practicalities of animal husbandry and experimentation when we know what we have to work with."

Shift 1: Hunt (with Agex if possible)
Shift 2: Hunt (with Agex if possible)

(My Druid should be 2, and my Peasant 1)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11