Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I don't like to complain but...  (Read 2212 times)

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I don't like to complain but...
« on: June 28, 2014, 10:38:41 am »

So there I was, trying to build a wall, like you do.  And they're standing in the spaces they're trying to build, like they do.  And I cancel the jobs and replace them a few time, like you do.  But they still won't stop standing on top of the tiles under construction.

So then I have a thought, "I can outwit these cheeky monkeys.  I am going to channel out the tiles the walls are going in.  Perfect!  Now they have no way to stand in the tile they're building. No way this can fail."

Then to show me how I am so not the boss of them, my three miners stand in the tiles they're channeling and fall into the water pit below and drown.

Well played, Urist.  Well played.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
Re: I don't like to complain but...
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 02:26:26 pm »

Well, to fix the wall issue, have you tried making the square the wall is on Restricted and nearby squares High on the traffic thing (d-o)? If the job has been cancelled once you'll need to cancel construction of the wall and set it up again.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 02:37:54 pm »

FallenAngel's process can work, but I think the problem happens most often when dwarves have only one route to the site which passes into (or through) the wall they're trying to build. To be more specific, it happens a lot when you use ramps to get builders to a higher level of a building or multi-Z wall, and it happens a lot when dwarves are trying to build square corners on already-standing walls.

Avoiding this is usually a matter of properly planning and executing your build such that dwarves don't have any chance to screw up like they do. Use stairs as often as possible - not ramps - and construct floors for dwarves to stand on so they can reach a wall construction site without standing on it.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2014, 02:45:45 pm »

Hopefully in the next version the dwarves will climb to their destinations, thus avoiding the "stand on construction site" problems.
._.

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2014, 09:10:41 pm »

Yeah this problem is nearly always caused by either 1) ramps or 2) a wall being constructed where they originally would have liked to stand (it's almost like they go "well I can't stand where I planned, so I stand next to it - but "next to it" being the construction tile itself). The latter is fixed by cancelling the wall and re-ordering it's construction, resulting in a new decision about where to stand. Ramp issues are trickier and are best solved by avoiding ramps and/or sacrificing children chickens in voodoo rituals. Sometimes ordering construction with another material also seems to help perhaps because of using a different path.
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

Lyeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Guess who isn't back
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2014, 09:13:25 pm »

When they cancel their orders, they tend to drop the material onto the space they're on - in this case, where you want to build the wall. As they go for the nearest block, and it happens to be the nearest one, they'll try to use it and stand in the space again. Try building a floor next to it with those materials, deconstructing the floors, and then building the wall. It >should< work.

This in addition to whatever was said above this post.
Take a closer look at this text!

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2014, 11:12:37 pm »

Hopefully in the next version the dwarves will climb to their destinations, thus avoiding the "stand on construction site" problems.
It would be nice if it let them build walls upward.  Stand on the spot, build and end up on z+1, on top of the newly constructed wall.  You should still get the "creature occupying site" cancellation if there is something already in the tile at z+1, but just being able to build a wall updward should fix 90 plus percent of these cancellations.  All assuming Toady hasn't already smashed this particular bug already, of course.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • ミク ミク にしてあげる
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2014, 11:59:19 pm »

But the climbing will defeat the puropose of some constructed walls. If dwarves can climb up to build them, then gobbos would climb them rendering them useless as defences. Of course !!SCIENCE!! and !!ENGINEERING!! will sove this eventually.

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2014, 01:25:04 am »

But the climbing will defeat the puropose of some constructed walls. If dwarves can climb up to build them, then gobbos would climb them rendering them useless as defences. Of course !!SCIENCE!! and !!ENGINEERING!! will sove this eventually.

And !!ENGINEERING!! really is !!ENGINEERING!! if it involves magma!
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2014, 03:49:12 am »

Smoothed walls cannot be climbed.

So, all these smoother dwarves? Suddenly they are very useful.
._.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2014, 07:46:01 am »

Also, I doubt climbing invaders can climb over any overhangs, making using floors stretching out over your main wall a viable strategy.

BoogieMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2014, 10:53:46 am »

I've commonly had issues building constructions. They will often choose the ONLY one spot available that is the WRONG spot to stand on, even when there are alternatives. Traffic designations rarely, if ever, work for me.

I've even had to redesign areas because certain tiles they just refuse to build on. Yes, I once had a wall section that I removed everything around it refused to be built. 8 tiles around it to stand on but it wasn't accessible. Removed designation, cleared the tile and tried again. Nope! I've had to fill tunnels from the several squares back to get them to stay on the right side. I hope the next version improves this frustrating issue.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ BoogieMan, Forumscrub cancels tantrum: Seeking Dr. Pepper

Mentalpatient87

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2014, 11:23:43 am »

Also, I doubt climbing invaders can climb over any overhangs, making using floors stretching out over your main wall a viable strategy.

I hope they eventually tire and fall off or something, otherwise you're going to have a bunch of goblins perched up under your ramparts. Seems like they'd be hard to reach.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow dwarf is either a fool or a coward. Whoever can not take care of themself without that law is both. For a wounded dwarf shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • ミク ミク にしてあげる
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2014, 11:26:48 am »

Smoothed walls cannot be climbed.

So, all these smoother dwarves? Suddenly they are very useful.

Constructed walls are not smooth nor can be smoothed, but as FA said overhangs, solved.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2014, 03:59:22 pm »

I hope they eventually tire and fall off or something, otherwise you're going to have a bunch of goblins perched up under your ramparts. Seems like they'd be hard to reach.

I'd assume climbers would either not path if climbing is useless or get exhausted from "combat" over time and climb down/fall off.
Then again, I'm not Toady One, so who knows what climbers do.
Pages: [1] 2