Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Rotten dwarf?  (Read 2950 times)

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
Re: Rotten dwarf?
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2014, 12:14:06 pm »

Unfortunately if a dwarf has rotten joints the tissue cannot be removed. I lost 5 dwarves to swollen and rotting joints in Demongate during my turn.
Amputation abilities for the Doctors would come in handy here me thinks.

Squidpalace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2014, 02:33:35 am »

Doctors wo are inexperienced can make wrong decisions and diagnostics.
Just saying klef. :P

I'd check those facts before perpetuating rumors. AFAIK diagnosis skill determines speed only, and I think it is likely that other medical skills are the same. I've certainly never experienced misdiagnosis despite using many unskilled and empathetically-challenged doctors. Not to say that I wouldn't enjoy this feature.

m-logik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2014, 02:56:05 am »

I've certainly never experienced misdiagnosis despite using many unskilled and empathetically-challenged doctors. Not to say that I wouldn't enjoy this feature.

I can see it now

"Doctor! Wounded from the front!"
"I'm a thresher."
"Oh. Well. This guy is wounded."
"Hmmm. Looks like malaria."
"What? His arm's off."
"Yep. Worst case of malaria I've seen all year."
"...Are you sure?"
"Who's the doctor, here?"
"You aren't. You just said..."
"I need soap."
"For the malaria."
"That's right. Say, have you ever done any surgery?"
"I'm a woodcutter."
"Too bad. This is a dwarf, not an elf."
"..."
"This is a dwarf isn't it?"

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2014, 03:07:45 am »

I'd check those facts before perpetuating rumors. AFAIK diagnosis skill determines speed only, and I think it is likely that other medical skills are the same. I've certainly never experienced misdiagnosis despite using many unskilled and empathetically-challenged doctors. Not to say that I wouldn't enjoy this feature.
I had that happen, once a Doc diagnosted a Dwarf healthy while he was bleeding to death.
Yes, he bled to death after he got out.
No rumor here sorry.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2014, 05:31:22 am »

That's about 100% likely to not be a misdiagnosis but rather the Dwarftional Health System at its best. When a dwarf has a limb hacked off, that causes a fair amount of bleeding (and possibly bleeding out), but there's nothing healthcare can do about it, because the bleeding wound isn't modelled to be in any treatable tissues the dwarf still possesses; something similar happens with infections - they are modelled as constant bleeding which cannot be treated directly. Skill of the diagnoser is completely irrelevant in these cases, they weren't diagnosed healthy but rather impossible to treat.

I've had dozens to hundreds of dwarfs in need of diagnosis, and they were all diagnosed by dabblers. Never seen a wrong diagnosis or treatment plan.

falcn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2014, 03:03:55 pm »

Don't want to start a new thread, this seems semi-relevant.

I have a miner with a broken leg which just lays on the floor in the mine. The whole fort doesn't give a shit, they hanging out in the dining room, having fun, throw occasional parties.

If I set civilian alert, the wounded dwarf crawls to the "Inside" burrow, but if I set him to individual burrow ("hospital") he doesn't move.
He is very thirsty and will die soon. Is there any way to save him?

m-logik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2014, 04:05:45 pm »

Don't want to start a new thread, this seems semi-relevant.

I have a miner with a broken leg which just lays on the floor in the mine. The whole fort doesn't give a shit, they hanging out in the dining room, having fun, throw occasional parties.

If I set civilian alert, the wounded dwarf crawls to the "Inside" burrow, but if I set him to individual burrow ("hospital") he doesn't move.
He is very thirsty and will die soon. Is there any way to save him?

Pick a dwarf with high empathy and non-tattered clothing, turn off all labors except recover wounded and feeding/watering, cross your fingers, and hope.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2014, 04:59:26 pm »

Disable burrows.  Try making a couple new buckets (that seems to trigger "Give water" jobs for me sometimes).  Try drafting the injured dwarf into a squad and giving a station order.  Sometimes that'll prod whatever internal system makes the dwarf realize he's too wounded to get there on his own, start Resting, and get Recovered.

If the dwarf has already crawled to (or even been placed on) a bed, but still isn't Resting, try deconstructing the bed that he's lying on.  That often triggers a second Recover, followed by Rest.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Kishmond

• Bay Watcher
  • What the pfargtl?
    • View Profile
    • My DF Stories blog.
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2014, 05:08:14 pm »

I have another problem relating to rot and health care. One dwarf that was the victim of a poisonous forgotten beast (poison spit I think) has been resting in the hospital for three years now. Both her feet and cheek are cut open and in advanced rot/infected. My medical dwarf, now a master surgeon thanks to her, is constantly removing tissue from her cheek, which temporarily brings it down to 'moderate rot.' He has (ironically, forgotten beast) soap and does use it. And she's the only living relative of the late king. So will she ever get better?

falcn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2014, 05:23:59 pm »

Disable burrows.  Try making a couple new buckets (that seems to trigger "Give water" jobs for me sometimes).  Try drafting the injured dwarf into a squad and giving a station order.  Sometimes that'll prod whatever internal system makes the dwarf realize he's too wounded to get there on his own, start Resting, and get Recovered.

If the dwarf has already crawled to (or even been placed on) a bed, but still isn't Resting, try deconstructing the bed that he's lying on.  That often triggers a second Recover, followed by Rest.
I did all of that plus what m-logik said above, dwarf was rescued, thanks!

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2014, 04:17:28 am »

So both affected dwarves in my military managed to get injured in battle, and looking at their health logs, both are blind now. I think that was a result of the rotting...

Still, they seem quite happy...

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2014, 07:17:52 am »

Don't let the blind dwarves go into battle. Blindness doesn't effect much unless they are in combat, in which case it is a major disadvantage.

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • ミク ミク にしてあげる
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2014, 11:17:18 am »

I have another problem relating to rot and health care. One dwarf that was the victim of a poisonous forgotten beast (poison spit I think) has been resting in the hospital for three years now. Both her feet and cheek are cut open and in advanced rot/infected. My medical dwarf, now a master surgeon thanks to her, is constantly removing tissue from her cheek, which temporarily brings it down to 'moderate rot.' He has (ironically, forgotten beast) soap and does use it. And she's the only living relative of the late king. So will she ever get better?

If the feet are rotting i think they cant be removed by surgery (amputation) so the necrotic tissue stays.
The only solution i can think of is "surgery".

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2014, 12:11:09 pm »

I had that happen, once a Doc diagnosted a Dwarf healthy while he was bleeding to death.
Yes, he bled to death after he got out.
No rumor here sorry.
Depends why he was bleeding. Not all sources of bleeding are anything "wrong with you" that doctors can diagnose, so the dwarves ARE healthy. That's a bug, insofar as even a legendary +723 diagnostician also would have said the dwarf was healthy, if bleeding from missing body parts or direct bleed syndromes.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2014, 01:30:10 pm »

Don't let the blind dwarves go into battle. Blindness doesn't effect much unless they are in combat, in which case it is a major disadvantage.

Blindness also completely destroys the ability to make high-quality items in workshops.  Your blind Master Mason will create almost all no-quality goods.  It's worse than being a Dabbling Mason.  At least Dabblers get some lucky results a good fraction of the time.

Blinding sand, I do not choose you.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz
Pages: 1 [2] 3