Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fired Dorf Engineer Perplexed(it all worked out on paper boss!)  (Read 784 times)

Gnomeknows

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Following directions from the wiki, I build the exact model for a 2 z-level pump stack, to pump from my cistern, to 1 level above my well/meeting area.  Then I let the water drain down into the well room and through a grate back into the cistern.  My goal was to make a nice mist right above the doorway to wash all my dorfs and make em oh so happy.  The holes line up from the hole in the well rooms roof to the grate right below it. 

The problem is the FUN that followed.  The pumps worked great, just as the wiki said they would and down came the water, it just didn't go through the grate in the floor, at least not all of it, instead it immediately began flooding my well room.  My dorfs appreciated the much needed bath, but that wasn't exactly what I had in mind. 

Is the water splashing off the grate or sometin, is that even possible?  Here's the setup, its stupidly simple:

EDIT: also, does anyone know if pump operators work until they starve/dehydrate, because they never go to drink or eat that I can see, I always have to stop the pump to get them to eat.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 12:57:29 am by Gnomeknows »
In fact, we should really say, that beards are born with babies.  Since beards are sentient it is quite possible they style themselves or even that they grow styled.
I'm totally convinced dwarven babies are born with beards. How those get braided, combed or shaved before birth is one of the arcane dwarven mysteries.

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fired Dorf Engineer Perplexed(it all worked out on paper boss!)
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 03:18:05 am »

Basically water spreading generally happens when water is pumped on top of 7/7 water. To solve the flooding issue box in the drain on the well room floor, you will still get mist on the level above the well room and it shouldn't spread on that level.

pump operators will pump until thirsty and hungry but will stop before they are in any danger of starving or dehydrating.
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

Gnomeknows

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 03:39:27 am »

Basically water spreading generally happens when water is pumped on top of 7/7 water. To solve the flooding issue box in the drain on the well room floor, you will still get mist on the level above the well room and it shouldn't spread on that level.

pump operators will pump until thirsty and hungry but will stop before they are in any danger of starving or dehydrating.

Well, that kinda defeats the idea of having mist in my well room doesn't it?  But boxing-in thing gave me the idea to do a 3x3 area of grates instead of just one, spreading out the area so its not flooding a single tile in the cistern.  Worked fine. 

Tnx for info on operators too, I was stopping and starting the pumps regularly, which was very annoying.
In fact, we should really say, that beards are born with babies.  Since beards are sentient it is quite possible they style themselves or even that they grow styled.
I'm totally convinced dwarven babies are born with beards. How those get braided, combed or shaved before birth is one of the arcane dwarven mysteries.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2014, 08:46:22 am »

Is the water splashing off the grate or sometin, is that even possible?  Here's the setup, its stupidly simple:

Basically, too much water.  Your dwarves pump it faster than it can fall back down into the cistern.

I believe a slight adjustment would be all that's needed to fix it: on the top level, where the water emerges from the pump, have a single tile with a regular floor, diagonally connected to another tile with a floor grate.  The diagonal connection doesn't permit pressure-movement of the water, so water will have to "flow" through the diagonal, after which it can fall down naturally.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Gnomeknows

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2014, 10:48:19 am »

Basically, too much water.  Your dwarves pump it faster than it can fall back down into the cistern.

I believe a slight adjustment would be all that's needed to fix it: on the top level, where the water emerges from the pump, have a single tile with a regular floor, diagonally connected to another tile with a floor grate.  The diagonal connection doesn't permit pressure-movement of the water, so water will have to "flow" through the diagonal, after which it can fall down naturally.

Ahh ok kewl, tnx.  Did not know that.
EDIT: ok nice, forced a diagonal flow before the output went down to the well room, worked perfect, no more overflow.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 12:12:50 pm by Gnomeknows »

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2014, 08:41:30 pm »

or, make more waterfalls from that pump output