Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Military not obeying equipment orders?  (Read 1347 times)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Military not obeying equipment orders?
« on: June 27, 2014, 09:46:31 pm »

I made a new squad that is going to be nothing but steel items and I set the squad's equipment to steel breastplate, steel greaves, etc. But when I added a guy he went and grabbed all iron stuff. Can someone enlighten me as to why this is happening?

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Military not obeying equipment orders?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 10:01:20 pm »

Did you use shift-enter to give the uniform to all dwarves in the squad? The other thing is to set "exact matches" in the uniform option (and re-apply the uniform) since if exact isn't set, in some cases they can use substitutes.
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 10:09:03 pm »

Ah thank you, I must have toggled exact match off at some point.

Nope, now he just flat out won't equip any of the steel armor or weapons in the very room he is training in.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 10:41:21 pm by Micro102 »

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2014, 08:59:33 am »

Nope, now he just flat out won't equip any of the steel armor or weapons in the very room he is training in.

Are you restricting their movement?  They do not choose equipment based on either proximity or reachability.  Any unforbidden weapon or armor can be claimed (assigned).  Usually they'll claim the one that's way outside the fortress, up on the surface, where Urist McRecruit got whacked by a goblin lasher and left his shiny boots... never mind the fact that there are still 8 more lashers up there....
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

m-logik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2014, 12:52:07 pm »

It could be that the armor in question is already claimed by another member of your militia who hasn't gotten around to equipping it yet. Look at the (e)quip menu in your military screen. If the equipment slots for the dwarf you're watching have green "checks" (actually the same ASCII character for a weapon rack, think) next to them then the dwarf has claimed equilment for that slot. If not, then you may not have enough armor of the type that you specified in the uniform. In this case, if you have exact matches and replace clothing set, the dwarf will go naked until the specified armor is available. Since you already had them collecting non-specified armor when exact matches was turned off, that is a good indicator that you don't have enough armor of the type you told them to wear.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2014, 01:27:12 pm »

I've noticed that when a new piece of equipment is made/acquired, the hand-me-down shuffle starts up.  The militia commander can grab it if its better than what he has now (and meets uniform requirements), and if he does grab it, then whatever he dropped for it gets picked up by the next guy down the list, etc, etc.  This may leave your new soldier with nothing but iron to wear as everyone else has claimed the steel equipment as their own, or someone else claimed it and just hasn't picked it up yet (as m-logik suggests).
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2014, 11:19:21 pm »

Are you restricting their movement?  They do not choose equipment based on either proximity or reachability.  Any unforbidden weapon or armor can be claimed (assigned).  Usually they'll claim the one that's way outside the fortress, up on the surface, where Urist McRecruit got whacked by a goblin lasher and left his shiny boots... never mind the fact that there are still 8 more lashers up there....

No the dwarf has access to the entire map. There is only one steel armor set on the map. There is no green check-mark next to his equipment.

It could be that the armor in question is already claimed by another member of your militia who hasn't gotten around to equipping it yet. Look at the (e)quip menu in your military screen. If the equipment slots for the dwarf you're watching have green "checks" (actually the same ASCII character for a weapon rack, think) next to them then the dwarf has claimed equilment for that slot. If not, then you may not have enough armor of the type that you specified in the uniform. In this case, if you have exact matches and replace clothing set, the dwarf will go naked until the specified armor is available. Since you already had them collecting non-specified armor when exact matches was turned off, that is a good indicator that you don't have enough armor of the type you told them to wear.
No one has picked up the armor for months, it does not have an owner when examining it. It is the only steel helm/breastplate/greaves/etc. on the map. There are no green check-marks. I now have 3 dwarves who are assigned to use nothing but steel armor but none of them are picking up any of the full suit of steel armor I have sitting in my stockpile.

I've noticed that when a new piece of equipment is made/acquired, the hand-me-down shuffle starts up.  The militia commander can grab it if its better than what he has now (and meets uniform requirements), and if he does grab it, then whatever he dropped for it gets picked up by the next guy down the list, etc, etc.  This may leave your new soldier with nothing but iron to wear as everyone else has claimed the steel equipment as their own, or someone else claimed it and just hasn't picked it up yet (as m-logik suggests).
I'm going to have to dismiss this possibility as none of my dwarves are picking up the armor.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2014, 11:26:43 pm »

So, no burrow restrictions, the armor isn't forbidden, doesn't belong to someone else and you've verified its part of that soldiers uniform and it does (not) have "exact match" set as appropriate?

If you use exact match, did you include a quality modifier (e.g., must be masterwork, but you've only got fine quality)?  I can't remember if thats an option, or if it only matters when assigning specific weapons/armor, so I could be completely wrong on this one.
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2014, 11:42:26 pm »

So, no burrow restrictions, the armor isn't forbidden, doesn't belong to someone else and you've verified its part of that soldiers uniform and it does (not) have "exact match" set as appropriate?

If you use exact match, did you include a quality modifier (e.g., must be masterwork, but you've only got fine quality)?  I can't remember if thats an option, or if it only matters when assigning specific weapons/armor, so I could be completely wrong on this one.

All but the exact match is verified. I have them set to wear a steel helm, when set to NOT exact matches, they choose iron armor instead. I looked for a quality option as the armor is of a higher quality, but could not find such a setting.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2014, 08:40:18 pm »

Ok since I have more guys in my all steel armor squad, I have now made multiple steel helmets. Same thing. Not owned, no one is moving them. No green checks.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2014, 09:21:18 pm »

You might need to upload a save somewhere.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2014, 05:53:43 pm »

The only other thing I can think of is that the iron helms are of higher quality and your soldiers want to use them instead of the lower quality but better material steel helms.  This would definitely explain why they use the iron when set to 'partial match' but don't touch them when on 'exact match'.

I'd suggest uploading the save someplace it can be accessed and posting this to the bug tracker[/ur].

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2014, 01:10:18 am »

Nope I don't even have any free iron helms. Seeing as how I've never uploaded a file before, any recommended sites? Ease of registration and accessibility to toady are preferred.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 04:10:33 am by Micro102 »

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2014, 01:42:49 am »

dffd.wimbli.com is the site we all use, typically.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2014, 05:44:42 am »

Ok, reported, and if anyone is interested, the bug report is at http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=6519 and the save is at http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=8715
Pages: [1] 2