Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Personality and sparring  (Read 969 times)

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Personality and sparring
« on: June 27, 2014, 09:15:38 pm »

I'm wondering if there is any influence of dwarf personality traits on sparring activity.  I regularly train dwarfs up to legendary status without difficulty, but I have noticed that some dwarfs get right to sparring, and some screw around with individual training and such for a long time before starting sparring.  This is after they have picked up their equipment, etc.  I have had dwarfs begin sparring regardless of existing skill level (ie, I've seen dabbling axedwarfs get right to it).  So I'm wondering if there is any science on the role personality traits play?

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Personality and sparring
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 09:36:49 pm »

A couple years ago I did a series of tests. I created a pocket world with 6 of the starting 7 put into squads of 2. Then I saved the game.
Then I ran a half dozen instances of the exact same game, and recorded the results at the start of winter (when the game pauses, I had autopause on).

The basic result was this: There is MASSIVE random variability, certainly 3-4 levels difference between the best and worst performers was not unusual (bearing in mind, these are copies of the exact same dwarves!). So the performance of military training, at least at the scale of a year or so, is heavily random.

Once I discovered that piece of information, I lost inspiration to try and discover if traits, or starting skills, or anything else, made a big difference, because you'd have to run bazillions of tests to get statistically significant results when you're dealing with so much 'background' randomness.
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.