Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What are the Fortress Mode Updates in the New Version?  (Read 4281 times)

Elaxter

• Bay Watcher
  • That one guy you don't know.
    • View Profile
What are the Fortress Mode Updates in the New Version?
« on: June 27, 2014, 08:14:05 pm »

Sorry if this is in the wrong section, but what are the expected Fortress mode updates that are to appear in the next version?
Sig
You must kill yourself before you kills you.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: What are the Fortress Mode Updates in the New Version?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 11:57:10 pm »

Hmm. This is fairly difficult, as there haven't been much in the way of direct changes to fort-mode, but a metric ton of stuff in things that effect both fort and adventure mode.

Off the top of my head: Zombies are pulpable, creatures (dwarves included) react with fear and terror (and fleeing and crying and hiding in trees), history continues as time goes on (you receive reports with the caravans on what's happened recently), moving and attacking speed have been split, things like Hydras are much more deadly, trees are now multi-tile affairs, fruit is a thing, enemies (and dwarves!) now climb to overcome obstacles, creatures now jump gaps, you now have hill dwarves (with only limited interaction right now), you can retire your forts, you can un-retire both your forts and NPC forts, dwarven personalities have been completely reworked, the sneaking rework might show it's head, you can reclaim sites taken over by megabeasts, a unimaginable number of bugs have been both fixed and added to the game, and some other things certainly.

And a loooot of other things.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

mud074

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 02:58:00 am »

What is all this I hear about seeds (including in the most recent devlog) about? I read the unofficial changelog, but I found nothing about it.
In the grim darkness of the near future, there is only Googletopia.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 05:10:23 am »

What is all this I hear about seeds (including in the most recent devlog) about? I read the unofficial changelog, but I found nothing about it.

There are a load of new crops and edible plants.

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 05:18:39 am »

And why is Toady on about trucks again? I missed whatever point that started at.

... Oh god he added cars to the game, didn't he?
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2014, 05:51:25 am »

And why is Toady on about trucks again? I missed whatever point that started at.

don't forget that the game now rewards moving in straight line by giving you acceleration

which means you can now mod in trucks
._.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2014, 01:47:32 pm »

Minecarts, yes.

But seriously, "trucks" is from the 06/11/2014 update where he says "so we're trucking along reasonably well".  Everything after that has referenced "the truck" as a metaphor for the process of finishing the new release.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

indyofcomo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2014, 03:43:27 pm »

Off the top of my head: ...
And a loooot of other things.

I thought I had given the update a good browsing, but I didn't know most of this stuff. Thanks!

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2014, 03:59:32 pm »

... the sneaking rework might show it's head, ...

In particular you may be able to detect creatures further away, but there may be stealth bonuses for being in tiles that have long grass/bushes or standing next to a wall. Mowing the lawn on a regular basis or paving the ground comes recommended. Wind direction and smell may also contribute. Hopefully the facing/cone of sight thing will not penalize fort mode patrols by having your dwarves stare at walls.

samanato

• Bay Watcher
  • @ Gardevoirite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2014, 09:29:41 pm »

Besides the fruits, there are a tonne of new plants and crops in the game too.  Real cultivated grains, among other things. (Still no real bread, but that's easy enough to mod in)

Some other things in the game are dwarves reacting more strongly to the death of friends, relatives etc. (apparently they break down in tears). Oh and new HFS sites.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 09:32:53 pm by samanato »

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2014, 10:33:05 pm »

Some other things in the game are dwarves reacting more strongly to the death of friends, relatives etc. (apparently they break down in tears).
Well, whether it's more strongly or not depends on if they're still as likely to tantrum because of it.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • ミク ミク にしてあげる
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2014, 11:08:34 pm »

Some other things in the game are dwarves reacting more strongly to the death of friends, relatives etc. (apparently they break down in tears).
Well, whether it's more strongly or not depends on if they're still as likely to tantrum because of it.

From what I have read the personality rewrite means dwarves will have more complex emotional states instead of te monodimensional
Happy<-->Angry they have now, this means dwarves could become sad instead of angry if a friend/relative dies, therefore instead of tantrumming they would burst into tears. I assume crying would have no effect on other dwarves so there would be no "crying spirals" like tantrums cause.

sal880612m

• Bay Watcher
  • [SANITY:OPTIONAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2014, 11:11:53 pm »

^ Sitting here reading this imagining that since it's Toady crying produces a small pool of water and there ending up being a bug where a dwarf just keeps on crying. New meaning to cry me a river...
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 11:18:59 pm by sal880612m »
"I was chopping off little bits of 'im till he talked, startin' at the toes."
"You probably should have stopped sometime before his eyes."

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • ミク ミク にしてあげる
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2014, 11:16:37 pm »

Oh, this is so getting weaponized.

New drowning chamber designs!
Sad dwarves fire deadly projectiles on frozen biomes!

Forget buckets, irrigate the rock layers with tears!

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2014, 11:48:54 pm »

Heard about the bugaboos that can sense blood. And that they promptly hid in the highest trees they could find because they could see what was at the bottom. Things like that are why I play this game. I just wish Toady had a way leave some of these hilarious things in as easter eggs while making the game work.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I also like how things will actually happen outside of your reality sphere, but it does make me worry. How do we keep our retired fortresses and adventurers from doing dumb things and getting killed while we're off doing other stuff? Such as, say, making sure all those vampire and werebeast adventurers don't blow their cover. More importantly, how do we keep a fortress from popping the cavern/spoiler cork while we're off saving our kids from goblin snatchers or some other menial task?
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.
Pages: [1] 2