Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: So I have a Goblin as the Queen... how can I make her claim a room?  (Read 2094 times)

TheHossofMoss

• Bay Watcher
  • "Man muss Heu machen, solange die Sonne scheint."
    • View Profile

Hey there my friends,

I have finally become the capitol of my Dwarven Civilization (The Daggers of Routing), and low-and-behold my monarch turns out to be a Goblin Presser as the Queen. I am not using any mods.

I'd built the monarch's room in advance, and was finishing up by the time she got here. But I didn't realize that it was all wasted, because she is listed as "Tame" and is treated like an animal. So right now I have her "pasture" set up as her Royal Quarters.

What do I need to download to make her claim a room? I don't want to change her race to a Dwarf, but I just want her to be able to claim a room.

inb4 "MAGMA"
inb4 "unfortunate accident"

Any help you can provide would be MOST appreciated   :D

On the Fifth Day of Axemas, my love saved the fort from...
Five sieging Werebeasts, four Giant Dingoes, three sneaky Thieves, two drunken Black bears, and a Titan killing spree!

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
Re: So I have a Goblin as the Queen... how can I make her claim a room?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 11:52:30 am »

I don't think she NEEDS a room. I don't think she'll tantrum, due to not being a dwarf. Plus, since shes a goblin, she won't need food, water and won't die of old age. Or make any mandates. Best queen ever in my opinion. I honestly like the idea of pasturing her in the Royal Quarters as a matter of RPing.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

TheHossofMoss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 12:14:21 pm »

I don't think she NEEDS a room. I don't think she'll tantrum, due to not being a dwarf. Plus, since shes a goblin, she won't need food, water and won't die of old age. Or make any mandates. Best queen ever in my opinion. I honestly like the idea of pasturing her in the Royal Quarters as a matter of RPing.

Oh yeah she is just happy and content to wander about. But I just want to get her to claim one, because I just think it'd be cool.
Five sieging Werebeasts, four Giant Dingoes, three sneaky Thieves, two drunken Black bears, and a Titan killing spree!

KiBoy

• Bay Watcher
  • You have been struck down! It was inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2014, 01:05:35 pm »

Non-dwarf monarchs will never claim a room, or so I've heard. There is not much you can do about it.
"Ha-ha-halt in the name of the Obeisant Vegetation!  Okay, Princess, you can speak to the Necromancer now."
"A-anou, Necromancer-san, could...  C-Could I have your autograph?"
If you imagine an 8-bit Hinata with elf ears, it gets even more ridiculous ^_^

XArgon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ATTACK_VERB:wink]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2014, 02:09:27 pm »

Heh, the king of my very first civ in DF was a Goblin Presser... at that time, looking at the "Civilization" screen, I thought he was a dwarf king whose job was pressing goblins... something of a military title, actually... :D
You just keep on trying 'till you run out of cake

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2014, 02:43:36 pm »

Here is a source of ideas for you. And here is some other stuff you should read.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2014, 02:50:33 pm »

When you get a chance you should check out her story in the world's legends.

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • ミク ミク にしてあげる
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2014, 02:54:24 pm »

Heh, the king of my very first civ in DF was a Goblin Presser... at that time, looking at the "Civilization" screen, I thought he was a dwarf king whose job was pressing goblins... something of a military title, actually... :D

Then you know where do the blood barrels come from.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2014, 03:00:35 pm »

Something similar is in my modded world, except flipped.
The general of the local goblin civilization is a dwarven farmer, with the law-giver being an elven farmer.
Their war leader is still a goblin, but that must make the yearly meetings between the three really awkward.

I'm assuming this has to do with slavery.

deepfreeze78

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2014, 03:29:02 pm »

Something similar is in my modded world, except flipped.
The general of the local goblin civilization is a dwarven farmer, with the law-giver being an elven farmer.
Their war leader is still a goblin, but that must make the yearly meetings between the three really awkward.

I'm assuming this has to do with slavery.

Yeah that's cause of the Baby Snatching. I'm pretty sure that almost all nobles of goblin civs are other races.
Nothing's truly dwarfy until it's been weaponized to kill elves with magma.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2014, 05:54:29 pm »

slavery and babysnatching BOTH tend to dramatically increase the number of inter-species government officials.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2014, 06:06:54 pm »

how do people get non dwarven monarchs to actually show up?
I've played three fortresses where the royal guard shows up but no monarch, which was a human one time and an elf the other two times.
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2014, 06:14:17 pm »

Also, if you're looking for a goblin monarch or whatever, you can:

1) Check legends.
2) If at any point in your history, there was one, even if it's gone or dead now, you can remake a new world with the same seeds as the first one.
3) Run that world gen to a year when the goblin king was still alive and ruling.
4) Embark.

Dwarven time travel.

No idea why one wouldn't show up, though.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

TheHossofMoss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2014, 01:13:41 am »

Here is a source of ideas for you. And here is some other stuff you should read.

Oh yeah buddy! I finally heard of that grand tale about a week ago. Only I didn't pay attention to Dwarf Companion thing he used... and that it just made Cacame "Tame" instead of "Friendly."

SO basically, I should just abandon hope of being able to get my fair green lady to claim her room?

TheHossofMoss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2014, 01:15:33 am »

how do people get non dwarven monarchs to actually show up?
I've played three fortresses where the royal guard shows up but no monarch, which was a human one time and an elf the other two times.

It's just randomly generated that way, I believe. Every single monarch I've had has either been a Vampire or a Goblin. I've never had just a plain-jane Dwarven Monarch that's normal. I really should start paying attention to which Dwarven Civilization I base my embark out of from now on!  :-\
Pages: [1] 2