Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Read the post, then tell me what you think.

Fits perfectly.
Looks good.
Ok I guess.
Not convinced.
This is bad.
This is very bad.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Please vote on this, its important - Human Guilds  (Read 5965 times)

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Please vote on this, its important - Human Guilds
« Reply #60 on: June 29, 2014, 09:58:05 pm »

Perhaps have a less effective training reaction that takes materials, and a more powerful one that uses books (and perhaps coins?) Or require books in the university.
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

Firehawk45

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 30, 2014, 05:40:42 pm »

I actually like that building destroyers and tantrums can seriously hurt you. Makes fighting back sieges, actually securing your buildings and keeping the mood up (including the nobels) really importent. As long as all building destroyers are actually stoppable, not the Poltergeist idea someone dropped in another thread.

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 02, 2014, 07:58:54 pm »

Will there be multiple levels of guild membership, or is that too complicated?
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

Endovior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 02, 2014, 09:46:18 pm »

Given that 'multiple levels' pretty much means 'extra castes', I'd say that's too complicated.  Even if you considered random peasants to be "apprentices", and then had separate castes for journeyman and master guildsmen, that'd still double the number of guild-related castes.  It's an appropriate amount of complication for a magic system, and maybe even for knights (particularly if you had some clever way of deciding when a member of the squire caste should be 'knighted'), but seems a little bloated for managing everyone else.

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 03, 2014, 03:13:03 am »

Given that 'multiple levels' pretty much means 'extra castes', I'd say that's too complicated.  Even if you considered random peasants to be "apprentices", and then had separate castes for journeyman and master guildsmen, that'd still double the number of guild-related castes.  It's an appropriate amount of complication for a magic system, and maybe even for knights (particularly if you had some clever way of deciding when a member of the squire caste should be 'knighted'), but seems a little bloated for managing everyone else.

For a limited upgrading, syndromes can do that.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #65 on: July 03, 2014, 03:16:15 am »

I'll stick with 1 type, thats 24 castes, for now. You have to remember the micromanagement as well, if I make 5 levels, people have to select they un-upgraded people and train them 5 times over.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Endovior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 03, 2014, 05:52:07 am »

Yeah, I can see that.  Therapist isn't great at indicating syndromes or sorting by them, but can do fine with castes.  As such, I have no problems having important skill-affecting details based on caste, but would absolutely hate any system that wanted me to do the same thing with syndromes.  Especially if that system wanted me to do the same thing with syndromes across all my generic workers, double-and-triple checking everyone, fiddling back-and-forth with workshop profiles each time to be sure I'm handing out promotions sensibly.  No, that'd be terrible.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]