Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The Comic Book Thread!  (Read 1735 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Comic Book Thread!
« on: June 27, 2014, 05:44:14 am »

A.K.A The Discussion Topic for Connoisseurs of Graphic Novels.

Basically, it's bugged me for some time that we lack a thread dedicated to funnybooks, comic strips, graphic novels and the like.
I figured I'd make this thread for the appreciation of such. I can't think of any good rules for now, except that manga most certainly does not fit under the Comics umbrella, so I'll just start by listing some of my current favourite titles.

Stray Bullets is definitely my favourite comic at the moment. Gritty crime noir, human drama, coming-of-age tale... I don't know what it's best described as, but it pulls off all of those and more. From the moment I discovered it and read issue 41, which packed in more suspense, character development and action than most comics fit into several issues, I was hooked.
Definitely recommended, even if the black-and-white artwork may not seem "fancy" to some.

Drumhellar is always a fun read. It follows the adventures of Drum Hellar, creepy hippy psychedelic detective. Contains plenty of supernatural themes, mind-altering substances, and not a few bad puns. Really, really bad puns- the best kind. Sometimes the pacing of the comic isn't too great, in my opinion, but Riley Rossmo's art is awesome, it's funny, and overall it's always entertaining.

Sheltered: A Pre-Apocalyptic Tale. Not too much I can say about this one without spoiling things, but from the first issue you will be shocked by the content, awed by the artwork and fear for the main character/s. One recent issue contained what has to be one of the most satisfying, triumphant moments in comic-book history, or at least the part of comic-book history I'm privy to.
This is a pretty useless writeup in hindsight, but... go read it. Best I can do. *shrug*

Manifest Destiny follows Lewis and Clark's expedition across a rather different version of North America.
Expect entertaining characters, supernatural creepiness, action and, of course, absolutely gorgeous artwork. Don't worry, it's still very entertaining even for those without much knowledge of American history. I certainly fall into that category, although this comic kinda makes me want to read up on it at times.

The Stuff of Legend really appeals to my inner child whilst still satisfying my (more-or-less) adult mind- imagine Toy Story during the days of World War Two, where a young English boy whose father is off fighting in the war is kidnapped by the bogeyman who lives in his bedroom cupboard, ruling over a strange alternate dimension peopled by the abandoned toys of the past.
A force of the boy's current favourite toys, along with his pet dog, venture into the strange realm called The Dark to rescue him, lead by a toy soldier named Colonel. In The Dark they, and the abandoned toys who have kidnapped their owner, become 'real', full-sized and alive rather than their previous toy selves.
It's not only a beautiful book, it's very well-written as well, and the characters are quite real despite being, you know, children's toys.
Really want to pick up the second collection of this soon, it's great.

Finally, Undertow. A surreal, sci-fi romp following a bunch of humanoid sea creatures whose Atlantean society is threatened by foes both inside and out, in a world where humans are primitive hairy apes and the ocean is home to the planet's most advanced life.
To be quite honest with you, I feel like I don't understand a lot of what goes on in this comic even a few issues in, but it's exciting regardless and it looks damn pretty.

That's all I can be bothered writing for now. Please, discuss your favourite comics/graphic novels/comic strips/whatever!
Apart from manga and the like, that is.
I might pretty up this OP and add more comics at some point, who knows!
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Comic Book Thread!
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 05:44:49 am »

*I'm reserving this post for reasons unknown, even to myself.*
Booze is Life for Yoink

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 06:09:36 am »

A PTW. Let's see where it goes.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2014, 12:19:12 pm »

Oh nice.

I recommend Transmetropolitan by Warren Ellis.  Its about a drug-crazed gonzo journalist in a distant transhumanist future.  One of my favorite comics of all time.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2014, 02:09:21 pm »

Oh nice.

I recommend Transmetropolitan by Warren Ellis.  Its about a drug-crazed gonzo journalist in a distant transhumanist future.  One of my favorite comics of all time.
Did you just mind-hacked me or what? I was going to write it in my post, but wasn't sure it'll go recommendation-wise.

Transmetropolitan is awesome anyways.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2014, 04:32:51 pm »

Yeah, even the art is great.  I can spend forever just looking at all the stuff in the backgrounds.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2014, 05:40:20 pm »

I don't see no watchman on that list, sir
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2014, 07:18:17 pm »

I don't see no watchman on that list, sir

Well, obviously my list consists of current comics. :P
Feel free to tell us all just why Watchmen is such a must-have, though! Especially since I've never actually read it, but don't tell anyone that.

Transmetropolitan looks pretty dang nice... I think I remember glancing at a copy of it at one point and being wowed by the artwork.
I'll have to pick it up sometime!

Anyway, couple more titles I sorely neglected to mention last night.

Shutter is amazing. It follows Kate Kristopher, sole remaining heir to a long family line of adventurers and explorers, living in a fantastical future version of New York. Kate did a lot of exploring in her younger days, publishing several books about her discoveries and continuing the family work, but when we meet her on her 27th birthday, she's hung that up and makes a living as a photographer- having apparently run out of things to write about.

That's the basic plot, but it does not do the book justice. The setting is amazing- all sorts of strange creatures inhabit NY, humanoid and otherwise, there are robots, animal-people, crazy ghost-type things and even a living Felix The Cat clock. I don't like giving stuff away, but rest assured that the book gets very exciting fast.
Some of the zaniest action scenes I've read, combined with Leila Del Duca's amazing artwork and a sense of adventure makes it one of the most exciting comics I've read.

Speaking of amazing artwork, The Goon is a long time favourite of mine, too.
Supernatural gritty crime noir set at an indeterminate point in time with zombies, gangsters, bog monsters, giant talking spiders, zombies, hobos, werewolves, G-Men, crazed carnies, zombies, moonshiners, giant squids, sexy dames and inflatable rubber chickens! It's been running for quite a long time and is collected in a bunch of paperback volumes decorated with Eric Powell's beautiful painting.
The comic does a great job of walking the line between (often violently slapstick) comedy and creepiness, with the later volumes slowly shedding a lot of their cheerfulness and actually becoming rather heart-wrenching in places, a pretty amazing feat for a comic about a big, buck-toothed mob enforcer (Goon) and his drunken, scrawny sidekick with 'Little-Orphan-Annie' eyes(Franky).

After the conclusion of a major story arc (which was amazing) the last couple of volumes have been largely a let-down for me, getting distracted from the overarching plot and focusing mostly on silly jokes, but it looks like the next mini-series starting next month is going to get things rolling again.
For a long time when I lived out in the sticks without a nearby comic store, The Goon is what I would buy whenever I made a trip into the city for whatever reason. Still definitely one of my favourites, right from the first volume it's amazing and Powell's art only gets better and better.

I also read the first issue of Robert Kirkman's new series, Outcast, last night. It involves demons and creepy shit.
It's certainly interesting, and the art direction is quite impressive, if a little confusing on my first read-through. Looking forward to seeing where it goes from here.
Booze is Life for Yoink

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2014, 08:21:40 pm »

You know that period in the late 80s and 90s where all comics were violent, gritty, and morally grey? Watchmen was partially responsible for that. Also, many consider it one of the best comics ever written. Hell, Time magazine placed on its list of great novels, the only comic on that list. Also made into a movie some time ago.

Watchmen tells the story of a group of masked crime fighters in alternate reality Coldwar era America. One member is brutally murdered in his own home, starting off the plot. What follows is a film noir, scifi deconstruction of the superhero genre. Anything more would be spoilerish. Should read just for its reputation
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2014, 02:56:38 pm »

A friend showed me the first bit of Saga and it's really great. I recommend it to everyone.

If you're looking it up, it's about as NSFW as Game of Thrones.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2014, 04:39:33 pm »

A friend showed me the first bit of Saga and it's really great. I recommend it to everyone.

If you're looking it up, it's about as NSFW as Game of Thrones.

Yeah, I've only read a few of them so far, but I liked what I saw.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2014, 06:09:23 pm »

Ooh, thanks for the recommendations! I've heard good things about it but haven't picked up an issue, myself.
Not sure why, the art style probably just didn't grab me.

Apologies for being so slack with this thread, I was a bit saddened when what I expected to be a popular topic kinda petered out before filling a single page... that was probably somehow the fault of my poor curation, though.
I might edit people's recommendations into the first post or something, when I get home.
Booze is Life for Yoink

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Love, scriver~

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2014, 08:19:59 pm »

"Video games are impressive, but now Minsc leads! Comics for everyone!

Cool.  Wish it was image comics instead though, cause then I can get DRM free versions. 

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2018, 11:33:26 pm »

Found the first collected volume of Low at the local library.
Nice to finally be reading it again... I think I followed it for the first few issues, then missed one, fell behind and never managed to get up-to-date again. I did drool over the huge hardcover edition I saw at my usual comic shop a couple of weeks ago, though... might be worth dropping the seventy-odd dollars on it, this is one of the most beautiful comics I've ever read.

And it isn't just pretty! It has substance, too - very well-written so far. I never really bother with nice-looking comics that are let down by a shite story or dialogue.
Booze is Life for Yoink

Pages: [1] 2