Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 33

Author Topic: Isle of the Young Gods: OOC Thread (If you want on Waitlist, Please Check!)  (Read 30043 times)

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
Re: Isle of the Young Gods: OOC Thread (Signups are Closed)
« Reply #60 on: July 08, 2014, 03:51:35 pm »

I kind of don't want to ask questions because they might end up covered by the introductory turn anyway, but:

-How does transit work for Interactions? Are we just assumed to be able to automatically get anywhere reasonable to do things, and if so what counts as reasonable in this case? Do we have a set location per turn, or could we use multiple Interactions that require wildly different locales?

-I'm assuming more ambitious actions will be represented by larger penalties to their success rates? If so, could I get a vague estimate on likely mortal alteration brackets?

-How does artifact creation work? More generally, how do actions work that in theory ought to require raw materials or other considerations? If I wanted to make a ship, for instance, would I need to get the lumber for it first, or would that be a part of the creation action?

-Do Prodigies eventually mature into a different sort of actor?

-For the most part I'll handwave travel. There is an NPC who will help with that to an extent, and I may crack down a bit if anything happens to her.

-Most of the time, when you mess with a mortal, you will get an Actor. There is a -50 Penalty for making actors without a boon. Small changes to a non-actor shouldn't have any inherent modifier.

-I'm not exactly sure. Materializing components, or even completed goods, shouldn't be beyond your power, but I think I'll grant bonuses for having stuff to work with.

-In theory, yes. In practice, unless the Prodigy has a fast growing species, such as a rodent, as a parent, it is unlikely to occur in a forum game that progresses one month at a time. You can always speed things up with a Miracle. The type of actor a Prodigy grows into has alot to do with experience, and a bit to do with parentage.

So what would an average person's power be, to give me a sense of scale in combat strength?

Average people have no combat strength, and they will almost never win any sort of fight against an Actor. There will be a good number of NPCs revealed as part of the first turn. Some of the Hosts on the field completely outclass any of you in pure strength, but you can whittle them down with miracles and interactions, or engage in some teamwork to even the odds.

Intro will be up in a few hours, so hopefully questions will be answered soon.

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 08, 2014, 04:52:28 pm »

Hmm.. I know this might be a somewhat weird question, but as I am unsure I'd better ask before we really begin.
Is this more roleplay, or is it more game? Yeah, I know, it is both, but how will this play out. Will this be a game about competetive gods bickering and smacking each other, or a story about god-courtley intrige, and how a few of said gods survive?

Basically it  boils down to the question, how fragile a god is - if we easily can off each other, us and our actions would be far more prudent. We would be likely to display still quite human behaviour. If this is more like the greek stories, where gods continiously fight each other, and at most are weakened and have to bear some inconvenience, then we obviously would be all over the place and adventurous, and steadily switching between inner and outer conflicts. Which would be quite removed from normal human behaviour.

Just for the record, I'd be fine with either options - both are fun, but rather somewhat different kinds of fun. Or should I say "Fun!" ;?

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 08, 2014, 06:41:04 pm »

Hmm.. I know this might be a somewhat weird question, but as I am unsure I'd better ask before we really begin.
Is this more roleplay, or is it more game? Yeah, I know, it is both, but how will this play out. Will this be a game about competetive gods bickering and smacking each other, or a story about god-courtley intrige, and how a few of said gods survive?

Basically it  boils down to the question, how fragile a god is - if we easily can off each other, us and our actions would be far more prudent. We would be likely to display still quite human behaviour. If this is more like the greek stories, where gods continiously fight each other, and at most are weakened and have to bear some inconvenience, then we obviously would be all over the place and adventurous, and steadily switching between inner and outer conflicts. Which would be quite removed from normal human behaviour.

Just for the record, I'd be fine with either options - both are fun, but rather somewhat different kinds of fun. Or should I say "Fun!" ;?

If it truly boils down to your question about Godly Durability, then I aimed for a happy medium. Gods can be killed, but not easily, and never by accident. You are also very safe in the Castle until the Domain Islands start getting defiled. Resurrection is possible, as the folks in charge of managing death answer to the same 'boss' as you do, but it will take at least long enough to give somebody on the waitlist a turn if it happens.

Beyond that, I'm willing to let the players decide through their actions if we are playing Greek Myth or Game of Thrones here.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 08, 2014, 08:45:40 pm »

Game has started over at the IC thread, and two quick notes:

1: Feel free to roleplay with any NPC in the castle at any time. I may ask you to spend actions if I feel you are getting too much information out of them, but other than that, go wild.

2: I may be tweaking Boons just a bit. Shouldn't be anything major, but I may ask you to change a posted action if you are using one this month and I change it radically.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 08, 2014, 09:23:41 pm »

Ooh, another question. Is it possible for multiple gods to fulfill a mortal's prayer?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 08, 2014, 09:53:53 pm »

I'd say try it and find out.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 08, 2014, 10:35:41 pm »

Okay, another important question:

What happens to prayers that go unanswered, or more specifically that are attempted and failed? Do they stick around, or are they gone, or what?
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 08, 2014, 11:10:23 pm »

I'd say that depends on the prayer. Some are a bit more time sensitive than others.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 09, 2014, 12:10:39 pm »

A few quick notes/Corrections, although these could be legitimate mistakes made by your characters as well.

@Gillglamesh - None of the Harpy Worshiping fleets are currently docked at Selma's Gate.

@Lurker - If you read the byline on Wildefair's prayer, it becomes clear that he isn't exactly speaking of his House. I guess I will quit being so subtle. :p

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 09, 2014, 12:50:21 pm »

That is a very interesting spelling of my name.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 09, 2014, 12:51:55 pm »

@Lurker - If you read the byline on Wildefair's prayer, it becomes clear that he isn't exactly speaking of his House. I guess I will quit being so subtle. :p

I'll be honest. If that "Husbands of Husbands and Wives of Wives" isn't some kind of house or clan, I am truly unsure on how to interpret the whole request, especially since he mentioned "many of us". Which together sounds like a minority in belian society, that would like a new god to watch over them. ;?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 09, 2014, 12:57:01 pm »

I'll be honest. If that "Husbands of Husbands and Wives of Wives" isn't some kind of house or clan, I am truly unsure on how to interpret the whole request, especially since he mentioned "many of us". Which together sounds like a minority in belian society, that would like a new god to watch over them. ;?
Hehe. Remember he mentioned formerly being protected by Multia, goddess of, among other things, LGBT people. His faction's presumably some kind of support/advocacy group.

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 09, 2014, 01:20:45 pm »

Ah, now that makes more sense. I remember that I skimmed that LGBT bit over, figuring it wouldn't mean anything important. One google search later, and I have to admit that I really can't keep up with all those acronyms. Especially with no contacts or interests into that direction.

Yeah, I'll have to look it over then. That... doesn't really suit Auratus as much as I thought. Hmm.. actually, he wouldn't really care all that much about their antics, but still.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 09, 2014, 01:21:48 pm »

Question: would the arena plan be one of those 'require both a Miracle and an Interaction' creations mentioned in the rules? I figure we need to be there, and thus outside the islands, to make the whole place (spreading the word and luring people in would be another Interaction, I suppose?).

We should probably both spend Miracles to boost the action.

It occurs to me it would already take up my Interaction to test-and-possibly-buff-up Sarah, unless I can do that remotely (I'm planning a sort of vision quest where she has to make brave, honorable choices to pass, in this case).
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 09, 2014, 01:45:04 pm »

I'm thinking of taking all the captured orcs and having them serve me. I'll use them to hunt harpies as well as make a fortress on one of our islands as a defence.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 33