Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10

Author Topic: Another game of Vanigo's Empire Builder (Now run by Rolepgeek)  (Read 10327 times)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Another game of Vanigo's Empire Builder (Map Ready)
« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2014, 10:52:53 pm »

Edit: Removed since what was formerly here dealt with a player's turn.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 11:21:52 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2014, 12:17:26 am »

Oh, I found the average amount of Barbarians per turn for the first six turns (5-10).

2.509 barbarians per turn, average. Which means, to deal with them, that's how many non-barbarian units will need to be produced per turn. On average, basically at minimum. Starting on turn 5.

We are so very, very screwed.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2014, 06:02:56 pm »

Oh, I found the average amount of Barbarians per turn for the first six turns (5-10).

2.509 barbarians per turn, average. Which means, to deal with them, that's how many non-barbarian units will need to be produced per turn. On average, basically at minimum. Starting on turn 5.

We are so very, very screwed.
Given that we are each probably going to have about 10 tiles each by turn 5 (out of over 1100), that means that there is a very small chance that those any barbarians are going to end up attacking us very soon. Odds are decent that you won't end up fighting any barbarians at all until well past turn 10. Plus, a single army per city should be able to deal with any decent number of barbarians since they aren't going to start clumping up. Bad luck on turn 5 could indeed be fatal, but odds are it won't end up that way.
Also note that my math give 2.166666 barbarians per turn average. On average you get 5/3 armies and 13/10 barbarians per army. Together that gives 2.1666 barbarians per turn.
Turn 1
Two things of note here: the first is that if you click the "raw" link on the pastebin page, it gives you a link to a all text version of what you posted, which allows for much easier selection of the text on everyone's part.
Secondly everyone has posted their turns. Three of us posted yesterday in the turn 1 section (and have posted up to turn 3 at the minimum) while the other three have posted for this turn already.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2014, 06:12:52 pm »

If Zanzetzuken didn't mind, one of us could probably run the turn, as long as he trusted us to make sensible decisions for the city-states.

Also, I actually kinda want to go over my math to compare to yours, now.

How did you get 13/10 barbarians average per army? 60% chance of one(6/10), 30% chance of 2(6/10), 10% chance of 3(3/10) makes average of 15/10, which gives an average of about 2.5. Which, when going back over my original math, is the correct average from that, too.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2014, 06:23:33 pm »

You're right, I somehow thought 7-9 had a 20% probability instead of the 30% it actually has.
If Zanzetzuken didn't mind, one of us could probably run the turn, as long as he trusted us to make sensible decisions for the city-states.
Agreed. I think that we could both run the turns fine for sure at least until the barbarians start to pop up (which would require a bit of trust).
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 29, 2014, 06:33:08 pm »

Secondly everyone has posted their turns. Three of us posted yesterday in the turn 1 section (and have posted up to turn 3 at the minimum) while the other three have posted for this turn already.

I found a few places I screwed up with, and had to fix.

Spoiler: Results (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Disposition (click to show/hide)

End of Turn 2
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 11:09:07 am by Zanzetkuken The Great »
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 29, 2014, 06:37:14 pm »

Well, as for the barbarians, I'm also not really sure what they would consist of. He said 'random, similar tiered units', but does that mean spearmen and battering rams, at this level? Just spearmen? Spearmen and bowmen?

If no one objects, I'll try running a turn, since it can't hurt anything; if Zanz doesn't like the way we do the City States, he'd update anyway, so...

Ninjaed. Nothing for me to do for a bit, though I think I might reevaluate my strategy.

Also, I'll have to keep in mind Kashyyk's tactic from now on, for future games.

Speaking of which, when using the admin interface, I was astounded by how easy it seemed. I'm partial to running a game myself, now. Would anyone else be interested?
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Another game of Vanigo's Empire Builder (Turn 2)
« Reply #52 on: June 29, 2014, 06:42:12 pm »

Well, as for the barbarians, I'm also not really sure what they would consist of. He said 'random, similar tiered units', but does that mean spearmen and battering rams, at this level? Just spearmen? Spearmen and bowmen?

If no one objects, I'll try running a turn, since it can't hurt anything; if Zanz doesn't like the way we do the City States, he'd update anyway, so...

Ninjaed. Nothing for me to do for a bit, though I think I might reevaluate my strategy.

Speaking of which, when using the admin interface, I was astounded by how easy it seemed. I'm partial to running a game myself, now. Would anyone else be interested?

I would, though just as a warning: Be careful with how you distribute locations.  If you are making an asymmetrical map, pay attention to what you are doing and make sure no one is within 3 of the map edge, or a corner.  Those factors made getting some stuff balanced painful.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 29, 2014, 06:51:37 pm »

Yeah, I would be interesting in playing another game at the moment.
If you are planning on doing so, note that you can do some pretty large house rule changes (eg. how trading works, barbarians, special rules for some locations (eg. instant death if your units stop on that tile)). If done right you can make some pretty huge differences that way, and that isn't even getting into the possibility of editing the ruleset for more/different resources/tiles/units/buildings.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 29, 2014, 06:55:56 pm »

@Zanzetzuken: That may be true, but I don't plan on every faction being perfectly balanced in the access it has to stuff. That ruins the point of trade, and makes things less interesting. Everyone will still have a little bit of most things nearby, of course(certainly wood, since that's the first resource you need; the right-most players on our current map have a bit of an advantage since they're closer to forests than the rest of us), but I'm gonna use a map generator like donjon to keep things varied.

@lemon10: I could certainly be interested in house rules, but at the moment it's somewhat difficult to think of many. Editing the ruleset definitely interests me; I just have no idea how to.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Jboy2000000

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello good people of the interwebs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 29, 2014, 07:02:27 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Is there any sort of repercussion for attacking independent nation? And what does our dispossession to independents matter?
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."

Just goes to show, even a Male Doctor that Looks Like a Female and a Criminal with Poor Hygiene Habits can fall in love.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Another game of Vanigo's Empire Builder
« Reply #56 on: June 29, 2014, 07:29:32 pm »

City states will have a five part meter to determine how much they like an individual civilization: Furious (1-3), Annoyed (4-7), Neutral (8-13), Favorable (14-17), and Joyous (18-20).  Parenthesis denote the range of roll of initial view of you upon first contact (when your borders contact).  Stationing troops close to borders decreases favorability.  Declaring war reduces favorability to 1 for 10 turns plus how far away favorability was from 20 (10+(20-X), where X is the favorability before war).  An open road (except in times of war) provides a +2 to favorability.  Trade results in variable favorability boost depending on the ratio, how much of a resource they have, and how much they need the resource you are offering them.  Declaring war on those they do not like boosts favorability, while trading with those they do not like reduces favorability.  This includes other city-states, since the same five part meter works between them, though with a 1d5 determining whether things change (1 reduces by 1, 2-4 are no change, 5 is a slight boost).  City-states vote for those who have the greatest favorability with.  You can rent soldiers from city-states at a cost of 20 gold minus favorability.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 29, 2014, 10:27:05 pm »

Spoiler: Talrathian Concordat (click to show/hide)

Forgot you can't build improvements farther out than the surrounding tiles of a city until you grow it to around size 4.
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 29, 2014, 10:31:10 pm »

Wait. The map changed.

My turn's aren't valid anymore.

IGNORE THEM WHILE I FIX THINGS GARRR

Spoiler: Turn 3? (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Turn 4 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Turn 5 (click to show/hide)

Also: jeezus christ, Jboy has 4 iron resources near his nation. Four. Along with the possibility to conquer the city-state without it even having the chance to defend itself. I can guess how he's gonna play...the rest of us are gonna have such a hard time catching up it's not even funny, especially since I just lost a bunch of my good farmland to swamps. Gah...just have to find a way to deal with it, I suppose.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 10:43:52 pm by Rolepgeek »
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Jboy2000000

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello good people of the interwebs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 29, 2014, 10:53:12 pm »

Kiss my royal toe-ring and I may let you live.
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."

Just goes to show, even a Male Doctor that Looks Like a Female and a Criminal with Poor Hygiene Habits can fall in love.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10