Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 818 819 [820] 821 822 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 1031737 times)

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.
« Reply #12285 on: October 20, 2023, 08:42:22 am »

With GW being rather prudish these days I don't think they would want to explore Slaaneshi Mechanicus much, lmfao.

They still have naked breasts on Fiends of Slaanesh, and that's a recent sculpt.

My favorite Slaaneshi champion is one from Tome of Excess, a Black Crusade sourcebook, who champions the temptation of gluttony. He is, not to put too fine a point on it, fat beyond reason. He is physically unable to move from his seated position. He is both constantly hungry and a connoisseur of fine and exotic food, dining on rare delicacies and anything that gets brought to him with great enthusiasm. From time to time the rest of the Lord he serve's people get so caught up in other revelries that no one brings him food, on these occasions he has to wait until someone passes out from inebriation or exertion within his reach, at which point he starts eating them. One time no one passed out near him, so he cut pieces of his own fat and skin off and ate them, an experience which he recommends everyone else should try at least once.

You have to beat him in an eating contest* as part of proving to his Lord that you are worth working with. The other 5 champions that represent the other temptations also need challenged, but this guy is the one with the most potential to be disturbing imo.

He encapsulates the most perverse and gross part of Slaanesh imo. Cannibalism, and autocannibalism, not out of necessity but depraved appetites. This is a guy who would eat a baby out of curiosity, and probably already has.

*Challengers rules. My brother says his RP group had a plague marine challenge him to eat live explosives. The marine survived even with his guts blown across the floor, the Slaaneshi did not. The book recommends things like who can eat the most food, or who can stomach the most exotic dish, like eating Eldar Soul Stones.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12286 on: October 20, 2023, 02:12:11 pm »

like eating Eldar Soul Stones.
elven rage intensifies

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12287 on: October 20, 2023, 03:04:00 pm »

From the moment I understood the weakness of my flesh, it disgusted me. I craved the strength and certainty of silicone

*replaces arms with chainsword dildoes*
[walks towards khornate demon wielding silicone mold with sinister intent]

psulates the most perverse and gross part of Slaanesh imo. Cannibalism, and autocannibalism, not out of necessity but depraved appetites. This is a guy who would eat a baby out of curiosity, and probably already has.
I like the gourmand (I think he may even be from the tome of excess too) who basically died before he could reach the absolute unit status of the big jabba food stuffer. The gourmand has his story told in little excerpts spread throughout the book, starting from:

"I just had a truly delicious meal... But I can't place the flavours." to "I just discovered a piece of burnt servitor flesh was accidentally added to my cooking by the ratlings," finally culminating in him experimenting with culinary cannibalism. Yet he is constantly frustrated as he keeps finding he can never reach the truly best flavour, until he concludes that only the greatest gourmand can provide the greatest ingredients and in a room full of his rival food critics, sets the room ablaze so he can savour the ultimate flavour town (with no survivors).

My favourite slaanesh champion is the unnamed character who painted the cursed painting, "The Glory of the Emperor in the Light of Dawn."

This blasphemous abstract painting, reputed to show the God-Emperor greeting the rising sun over Holy Terra, is both surreal and unsettling. Mostly painted in various shades of yellow, gold, blue, and white, the painting has the unsettling ability to cause feelings of vertigo and unease, as if someone was looking back at the viewer, when viewed for any length of time. Close examination of the frame shows it to be composed of thousands of human shapes wrought out of solid silver. The human figures, perfect in every detail, are entwined about one another in positions of either ecstasy or anguish.

The painting has a number of additional disturbing traits which only become apparent over time: the painting and its frame always feel warm to the touch; the figures making up the frame slowly move and twist, endlessly orbiting the painting itself; the colours making up the painting gradually
shift, creeping over so slowly across the canvas. Although unnerving, the painting is effectively quiescent unless properly treated with a new layer of varnish. A thin line of black crust where the canvas meets the frame reveals the true nature of this varnish—human blood.

It’s unknown who exactly created the painting, as records indicate The Glory of the Emperor to at least a thousand years old. Certain scholars among the Ordo Malleus believe The Glory of the Emperor was painted aboard a a spaceship during a particularly violent warp storm. Others have declared the painting to be erroneously named, as not even the immaterium is capable of corrupting the visage of the God-Emperor Himself.

I like the slaaneshi orators, artists, flesh-sculptors et al. who try to achieve perfect excess in other things besides combat or hedonism. Like there's even one Emperor's Children swordsman who manages to corrupt one of Typhus's plagues into being a Slaaneshi plague. But regular, artisanal savants driven to perfection. Ones like the unnamed artist make me want to one day introduce a few of these kinds of artists into an investigation-heavy campaign. I always liked the idea of having the players hunt down a pied-piper kinda of champion, whose music is entrancing (the piper plays a cursed pipe... The moment he stops playing the pipe his soul is forfeit, so he has been dancing and playing without rest or sleep for years now and is losing himself to the funky groove). Or a narcissistic body-builder who is unknowingly chiselling himself through bodymods and excessive exercise into a fascimile of pre-corruption fulgrim (subsequently sparking a slaaneshi civil war). And most of all - a sculptor who is literally just pygmalion, if pygmalion was set in a gothic horror sci fi world.

like eating Eldar Soul Stones.
elven rage intensifies
Quote from: Muse, Tome of Excess p.20
Harkin slowly walked amongst the bodies. He was new to the Imperial Guard though no stranger to bloodshed; he’d sharply led the Razor Angels for years before being caught in an impressment roundup. There wasn’t much left of the Desoleum 457th now though; it looked like someone high above had tired of the slogfest and decided to finish it off with an orbital bombardment. That both sides were caught in it didn’t seem to have been a concern.

He’d been having fun though. The thin Eldar xenos were fast, but didn’t expect any human to slice like him. In the confusion of smoke and cannonfire, no one noticed him drag his last kill under a ruined tank to slice a little more. That had been what saved him when the blast hit. The smoke seemed to be clearing, but he wasn’t sure what he was seeing as the grey tendrils seemed to disperse into purple filaments. Something was moving, more like dancing, across the crimson mud. Its form was inhuman, even more than the xenos, but he couldn’t stop watching as it... no, she, sinuously leapt from one alien body to the next. At each, she made a graceful movement of her huge yet nimble claws, and arterial blood spurted or limbs fell. Her only pause was to pluck off a rounded gem and drop it into her fanged mouth. With each ecstatic swallow, the air around her shimmered like heat off a tank engine. It was the most captivating thing he’d ever seen.

There was a movement at his feet. One of the xenos wasn’t so dead after all, and with a mournful howl raised a pistol at the creature. All Harkin had was his combat knife, but it was enough to cut the alien’s hand away, and then his head as well. No one could disturb this. He noticed the small stone on the bloody chest, and pulled it away.
She had seen him now and danced towards him. Harkin’s blood pulsed in his ears to the beat of her swaying stride. Her eyes were black, yet seemed filled with impossible depths. His blade fell as he breathed in her scent, and all he could think to do was offer her the gem. This close, he could feel the air burn with the heat of her desire as she dropped it into her wide mouth. Then her lips were on his, sharing something even his sharpest kill couldn’t match.

When he opened his eyes, everything looked grey. She was gone. The air was clear and flat. The dead were just dead. He could hear tanks approaching and calls to regroup. His blade was still wet with blood, but he must have blacked out during the explosions. Then his he licked his lips and the flavour was there, not as intense but calling to him for more. He grinned, his teeth now just a little sharper, and stalked off towards new prey.
So romantic. It's like valentines chocolates but soul stones

One day this uneasy brotherhood may break. Should it happen, it is likely the intensely diametrical opposition between these two powers is the cause. Khorne, perhaps, his bloodstained fur bristling with the final insulting innuendo, rises from the Brass Throne, and axe in hand, leads his forces against his hated rival. Slaanesh, raptured that his foe has given into his desires, welcomes delights of the clash that follows. Even if Khorne should throttle the Lord of Pleasure until Slaanesh teeters on the brink of oblivion, the final satisfaction would be the Dark Prince’s, for what could surpass the ultimate sensation of a god feeling his own last breath pass through his wicked, smiling lips?
Slaanesh is canonically tsundere for Khorne
« Last Edit: October 20, 2023, 03:12:27 pm by Loud Whispers »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #12288 on: October 29, 2023, 03:52:42 pm »

Watching some slasher stuff for Halloweeny times and I'm struck by how Jason is akin to a Khorne-aligned daemon or entity-type thing like the Slaughterman.

Makes me wonder what other categories 80s and 90s movie slashers go into.

Michael Meyers - Khorne
Freddy - Tzeentch
Pinhead - Slaanesh
Candyman - Nurgle
Chucky - Tzeentch
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12289 on: October 30, 2023, 06:27:38 am »

Watching some slasher stuff for Halloweeny times and I'm struck by how Jason is akin to a Khorne-aligned daemon or entity-type thing like the Slaughterman.

Makes me wonder what other categories 80s and 90s movie slashers go into.

Michael Meyers - Khorne
Freddy - Tzeentch
Pinhead - Slaanesh
Candyman - Nurgle
Chucky - Tzeentch
Jason is probably a turbo Khornate. Hates sorcery/magic nonsense, long-standing rivalry with Freddy Krueger, nigh immunity to basically all weapons, hates bullies, hates sex, and even had his own spinoff where he becomes a scifi character, is a weak bullied kid who became super strong
Predators - turbo-khornate species. Literally skulltakers
The xenos from Aliens - GW stole genestealers from them
Freddy Krueger
- probably Slaanesh. His backstory of being a pedo + serial killer, his indulgence of his sadism being so powerful it allows him to invade the dreams of others like a mind virus, he is exterminatus-level daemonic threat if they use the lore where anyone who knows about his name is at risk of a Freddy fright.
John Carpenter's The Thing. 1000% Tzeentch. Rapid body mutations, impersonates victims, sows paranoia... Super Tzeentch.
Pinhead - the most Slaaneshi by far. With all the best quotes. One of the memorable ones wasn't from pinhead, but from one of the people who becomes a cenobite "and to think I hesitated..."
Candyman - I haven't seen this one yet
Chucky - Tzeentch. Him being the product of black magic and Tzeentch being the sort of guy who would find it hilarious to trap a serial killer in the body of a doll is very on brand
The Exorcist - No clear winner out of the four. Just pure Catholic possession horror
Michael Myers - Khorne
It Follows - Daemonic entity, not aligned
The Void (2016) and Event Horizon - bro who turned the gellar field off
Videodrome - Slaanesh. "You know the problem with you? You lack philosophy... This production company... Does not."
Evil Dead - Local man becomes a living legend and enemy to all demons
Evil Dead 3 - Local man becomes a living saint and invades the warp to kill ALL the demons
Splinter - Parasitic splinters infecting hosts and turning them into more splinters? This one might just be a Catachan garden plant
Ghost Ship - Tzeentch. Or maybe a regular ghost ship.
Oculus - Okay Tzeentch definitely wins this one. A mirror that does nothing but somehow gets its victims to kill themselves or each other. What a dick.
Tumbbad - Ancient warp god. A bit like the exorcist in that anything with a clear religious definition doesn't fit into 40k's too well.
Jigsaw / Kramer - This asshole would probably be an inquisitor
Human Centipede - Nurgle cultist
A clockwork orange - Most mentally well-adjusted Imperial scions of noble houses
V/H/S - There is canonically one really cool instance of Tau finding "lost footage" from one of the early Tau experiments with deep-warp travel. In the holograms a bunch of nurgle demons butcher the crew. The hologram begins to flicker and each time it does - the holograms of the nurgle demons turn away from the victims in the holograms, towards the Tau officials watching the video. The Tau military officer who already reviewed the hologram is not sure why they are getting this flickering or why the video is different from the first time he watched it, and blames the data for getting corrupted. After doing some "percussive maintenance" on the projector the vid fails and the projector turns off, likely saving every tau in the room from experiencing a warp incursion without even realising it. Makes you wonder just how excessive or reasonable the Ordo Malleus is when they do total purges of anything remotely depicting a demon or anyone who knows what they look like.
The Shining - Tzeentch
American Psycho - Patrick Bateman is a hedonist who feels absolutely nothing. Slaanesh does tend to cause "bluntness and numbness" in his followers so this fits.
Terminator - DUN DUN DUN DUN DUN. DUN DUN DUN DUN DUN. DOO DOO DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO DOOOOOOOOOO DOOOOOOOOOO DOOOOOOOO. Men of iron.

Some of these aren't 80 or 90s films, some aren't slashers, but these are the horrors I can remember off the top of my head

*EDIT
« Last Edit: October 30, 2023, 08:22:20 am by Loud Whispers »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12290 on: October 30, 2023, 08:31:31 am »

Needs more nurgle. Re-animator maybe?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12291 on: October 30, 2023, 09:19:22 am »

Every zombie and disease film ever. Even the planet of the apes prequels

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12292 on: October 30, 2023, 09:29:26 am »

Part of the problem is that horror movies follow conservation of detail and most pestilence and disease falls more towards psychological horror.

Stupid Nurgle.

Would 30 days of night vampires count as nurgly?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12293 on: October 30, 2023, 10:00:32 am »

Every zombie and disease film ever. Even the planet of the apes prequels
I'm... not entirely sure about that? The zombie ones, at least. I'd wager some of the more violent zombie archtypes fall under khorne on some level, especially the ones that fight each other as much or more than the living. Iirc it's not super uncommon the zombie virus isn't so much "undead" as "uncontrolled rage beast", with the infection not so much killing the victim as turning them hyperviolent. That would be either khorne, or someone trying really hard to extra piss off the critter. Might be khornite worship, might be blasphemy, could be both!

... there's also a slanneshi angle, there, because sometimes the zombie media get extra exploitative :-\

Zombie stuff's generally going to be nurgle, though, yeah. Just... not every zombie film. There's generally rather literally terrible multitudes in zombie media, heh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12294 on: October 30, 2023, 10:13:38 am »

Khorne and Nurgle are generally depicted as being friendly to one another or less hostile than usual, so the rage virus may well just be a joint operation.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12295 on: October 30, 2023, 11:35:22 am »

A rage virus could well be a solo-Khorne activity. While Nurgle is the god of disease he's not the only one to use disease-like weaponry, and any mortal scientist can make a disease that fits their god's domain..

A Khornate rage virus wouldn't necessarily be an actual rage virus, it could be a transmissable pyschosis, curse or possession like Tzeentch's Doubtworm, or it could be a virus engineered by a mortal Khorne worshipper who's knowledge is better suited to making others kill people than directly killing people themselves.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #12296 on: October 30, 2023, 12:39:42 pm »

John Carpenter's The Thing is basically a still changing Chaos Spawn with sentience. Man I love that movie so fucking much.

I'm not sure Candyman is 100% Nurgle, but when your body is full of insects that's usually a pretty strong identifier for Nurgle influence.

And yeah, I'd say Re-Animator comfortably fits Nurgle's priorities. His boss however might lean a little more Slaanesh.....:P
« Last Edit: October 30, 2023, 12:58:47 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12297 on: October 31, 2023, 08:20:35 am »

Khorne and Nurgle are generally depicted as being friendly to one another or less hostile than usual, so the rage virus may well just be a joint operation.
28 days later style infectious rage would totally be a bro-ject between khorne and nurgle

A rage virus could well be a solo-Khorne activity. While Nurgle is the god of disease he's not the only one to use disease-like weaponry, and any mortal scientist can make a disease that fits their god's domain..

A Khornate rage virus wouldn't necessarily be an actual rage virus, it could be a transmissable pyschosis, curse or possession like Tzeentch's Doubtworm, or it could be a virus engineered by a mortal Khorne worshipper who's knowledge is better suited to making others kill people than directly killing people themselves.
That's true. I remember there was one canonical instance where a champion of Slaanesh trolls Typhus by corrupting one of Typhus's plagues so it made perfumed rot and the parasitic bugs held people's wounds open to feel more pain et other weird Slaanesh stuff. Typhus was absolutely livid of course but if even one of his plagues can get corrupted, stands to reason that there can totally be Tzeentch and Khorne diseases. In Dark Heresy I think there's this one xeno-parasite bloodworm thing that rapidly converts meat into more worms which is said to be favoured by Khornate cultists

ALSO MELANCHOLIC CHAOS MARINE COVERS make me realise I need to include a 10,000 year old chaos veteran who just doesn't care about the long war, the state of the galaxy, the imperium or chaos or whatever. He's just lived so long and seen everything there is to be seen, so he sits at a dusty bar at the end of the world reminiscing with all the other cast-away xenos and renegades who watched time pass them by. The barman is a hrud who artificially ages the spirits, a flayed one carefully adjusts her face in the mirror, an exodite plays wraithbone dice with an ork stormboy who never wins but never runs out of teef...

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12298 on: October 31, 2023, 11:10:45 am »

How many "ogryn" are actually just retired or vacationing space marines who just want a bit of quiet for once and are playing dumb?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12299 on: October 31, 2023, 03:43:40 pm »

How many "ogryn" are actually just retired or vacationing space marines who just want a bit of quiet for once and are playing dumb?
There are canonical retired custodes and Alpha Legion seems to be able to pass as big guys, gene-enhanced workers, bodyguards and they're probably in any given ogryn regiment at any moment

I can imagine an AL dude just setting up a chill restaurant in an ogryn planet. Occasionally sending back reports to their cell leader about how they're taking over the planet but really they're just drinking beer and grilling grox with the ogryn boys
Pages: 1 ... 818 819 [820] 821 822 ... 824