Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 658 659 [660] 661 662 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 1021099 times)

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
Re: WH40K general discussion thread: Lictor, P.I.
« Reply #9885 on: December 19, 2017, 02:20:37 pm »

They would totally stand out from regular humans and attract attention.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9886 on: December 19, 2017, 02:49:41 pm »

Regular humans in 40k include genetically/cybernetically modified labourers and guards, borderline abhumans and minor mutants. A marine couldn't stroll around a bunch of nobles incognito unless they pretended to be a guard of some kind, but one could meander among underhive gangers and similar with little issue. They're practically dwarfed by the things the Mechanicus creates to use as cyborg forklifts. They look odd and big, but odd and big can mean any of thousands of things in a Hive city.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9887 on: December 19, 2017, 03:46:48 pm »

Plus they're nearly immortal, meaning they have a lot of time to pick up people skills. If you spend a few hundred years training, maybe you can just shrug and handwave your massive size.

And they probably work as the mastermind behind the scenes most of the time, having more normal humans going about most of the business. Not unlike Genestealers in that way, which manage to stay hidden just fine while looking a lot LESS human than the actually factually former human space marines.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 03:48:56 pm by Egan_BW »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9888 on: December 19, 2017, 03:50:32 pm »

Most likely a lot of them picked up some elements of the super-charisma shown by the Emperor and the Primarchs. Frankly, an Astartes could probably go undercover on our world without too much trouble. There aren't a lot of people who are seven feet tall, but it's also not unheard of. They certainly wouldn't get black-bagged just for walking down the street.

Not that you could successfully black-bag a Space Marine anyway.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #9889 on: December 19, 2017, 06:44:44 pm »

People who are rather more than six feet tall and nearly as broad across the shoulders often have uneventful journeys. People jump out at them from behind rocks then say things like, ‘Oh. Sorry. I thought you were someone else.’ (Pratchett)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9890 on: December 19, 2017, 06:55:02 pm »

Regular humans in 40k include genetically/cybernetically modified labourers and guards, borderline abhumans and minor mutants. A marine couldn't stroll around a bunch of nobles incognito unless they pretended to be a guard of some kind, but one could meander among underhive gangers and similar with little issue. They're practically dwarfed by the things the Mechanicus creates to use as cyborg forklifts. They look odd and big, but odd and big can mean any of thousands of things in a Hive city.
They'd probably fit right in with nobles given how nobles can purchase all the implants which would make them HUUUUUUUUGE

Most likely a lot of them picked up some elements of the super-charisma shown by the Emperor and the Primarchs. Frankly, an Astartes could probably go undercover on our world without too much trouble. There aren't a lot of people who are seven feet tall, but it's also not unheard of. They certainly wouldn't get black-bagged just for walking down the street.

I think the dead give away would be their skeletal structure, if not their prodigious size. Their fused ribcage and the solid black carapace armour directly under their skin would be noticeable to any prolonged observation, revealing that the individual was in all likelihood, a spehss mahrin or someone modified to standards similar to them

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9891 on: December 19, 2017, 07:15:41 pm »

And yet there are plenty of canon tales of Space Marines, Custodes, Primarchs even, ditching their armor, throwing on a robe and managing to blend into the crowd of, say, a Mechanicus Forge world pretty easily.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 07:19:50 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9892 on: December 19, 2017, 07:20:35 pm »

Ok, pretending to be a Techpriest is cheating. They all go through the "gigantic mechanical hive" phase at some point, nobody would even give them a second look except the half-insane Magos over there who recklessly but correctly believes that Space Marines are coming to steal his archaeotech.

Bloody magpies!
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9893 on: December 19, 2017, 08:14:40 pm »

Nah, it's because the Magos replaced her eyes with technomagical geneseed scanners.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #9895 on: December 20, 2017, 10:21:27 am »

Not my favorite episode. Too much plot. Not enough Dickery by Eldrad.
Ïlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9896 on: December 20, 2017, 10:23:29 am »

Ok, pretending to be a Techpriest is cheating. They all go through the "gigantic mechanical hive" phase at some point, nobody would even give them a second look except the half-insane Magos over there who recklessly but correctly believes that Space Marines are coming to steal his archaeotech.

Bloody magpies!

As was pointed out though: gene-forged workers, augmented workers, servitors, ogryns.....there are plenty of things in the 40k universe that are ostensibly human but hulking as all get out.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9897 on: December 20, 2017, 06:10:06 pm »

I picked up the latest Gaunt’s Ghosts book (which, I’m pretty sure, was supposed to come out years ago) and boy, the sudden shift in terminology is bugging me. It’s really disconcerting for a series where ’Astra Militarum’ or ’Officio Prefectus’ have never been used to suddenly push the terms everywhere. It’s not like the words ’Imperial Guard’ have been banned: it gets used from time to time. Jolts me out of the narrative every time.

Enjoying it so far, anyway. The plot is taking some turns, by the Emperor. I didn’t think the title referred to this.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9898 on: December 20, 2017, 07:18:59 pm »

Yeah, Astra Militarim, Adeptus Astartes. GWS has made a concerted effort the last few years to rid their universe of 80s sounding terms like “Space Marine.”

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9899 on: December 20, 2017, 07:21:36 pm »

80s sounding and uncopyrightable. ;P
Pages: 1 ... 658 659 [660] 661 662 ... 824