Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 550 551 [552] 553 554 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 1030017 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K thread: from the Warp it cameth forth: Plot Advancement.
« Reply #8265 on: February 04, 2017, 06:28:22 pm »

i dont think he can just be like, 'imperium 2.0 nao'.

He already did once. Literally called it "Imperium Secundus." When the Ruinstorm cut Terra off from the 500 Worlds, Guillman assumed the worst case scenario: that Terra and the Emperor had already fallen to Horus. If the Emperor were killed or died or Terra destroyed, he'd already set the precedent.

Likewise, in the The Beast series, the Imperial Fists overthrow the High Lords and take control of Terra for its own defense. So clearly the appointees of the Emperor are not sacrosanct to Space Marines, they'd be even less so to a Primarch.

Not sure what Guillman would honestly do though. The current is far, far removed from his lofty democratic ideals and even the the 500 Worlds are way more grimdark than they were in his day.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8266 on: February 04, 2017, 07:09:19 pm »

H-uh.  While I enjoy the hatred of Ultrasmurfs (and a lot of Matt Ward's content seems stupid and not in the WH40k way), the idea of the Ultramarines (and the Ultramar "kingdom") taking charge of the empire seems intriguing.  Preferably as villains, or at least well-meaning antagonists.

Maybe I'm just eager for any plot progression at all :P
He was deleted, as said earlier, right?

Now, should some powerful entity decide to take the soul of 'random guy 1^23', they could reincarnate him or at least make him a demon, right?

Or is getting consumed for lulz or so that a demon can be formed the best we can hope for?  I seem to recall reading somewhere that most summonings/demons who are made by sacrifice or from the souls of things require the soul itself to perish.  As in its not that person being turned into a demon, its a demon eating you like a parasite.

What Sirus said. The Emperor didn't just kill Horus, he annihilated his essence. Then Abaddon vaporized everything that was left in the whole Black Legion debacle.
At first I assumed "deleted" meant "removed from canon", like Squats or Malal.  But with the Horus example, I guess it just means soul-destruction.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8267 on: February 04, 2017, 08:10:40 pm »

Squats and Malal Malice are still canon.

The Squats were never deleted from the setting, just wiped out as a playable faction because the writers didn't want them to be a major part of the setting anymore because they couldn't think of a way to update them from Rogue Trader without wanting to shove pencils in their eyes. They get the occasional small reference, the current main rulebook mentions them in it's list of abhumans and there's technically a way to field an analogue of them using the Imperial Militia and Cults army rules.

Malice is still a thing, though what he really is has been left vague, he's mentioned in a short story about the Sons of Malice chaos marines, and they themselves are mentioned in the odd tiny passage here and there. Last mention was just 4 or 5 years ago I think, which is very recent in a franchise this old.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #8268 on: February 04, 2017, 11:14:28 pm »

Squats were deleted for a while, that's where the memes come from. It was literally said that no, they never existed, retcon, don't even talk about them IRL, leading to memes of Inquisiton trying to cover everything up. In latter edition it was mentioned their main worlds got eaten by Tyranids and references continued from there. But yes, there was a time when they were deleted.

Malal was just not mentioned for a very damn long time, so people sometimes joke he got the same treatment as Squats, but yeah, pretty much he just exists in stasis. I don't think his "non-existence" has been confirmed as for now.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8269 on: February 05, 2017, 12:45:27 am »

Custodes Tribune formation leaked.
Formation must be warlord unless "Constantin Valdor", "Jenerin Krole" or "The Emperor of Mankind" is also present.

So there's that.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #8270 on: February 05, 2017, 01:08:54 am »

Custodes Tribune formation leaked.
Formation must be warlord unless "Constantin Valdor", "Jenerin Krole" or "The Emperor of Mankind" is also present.

So there's that.
That worries me. Everything I've heard about the Emperor has always screamed that he's too much to commit to stats. Either his stats would be actively ridiculous at all times in every way imaginable, or he's less amazing than promised (which undermines everything else in the WH40k universe.) Or he's in some sort of lesser state, which still opens up various concerns.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8271 on: February 05, 2017, 03:00:04 am »

Note it did not say God-Emperor of Mankind.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8272 on: February 05, 2017, 03:05:37 am »

Praise the man-emperor!

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8273 on: February 05, 2017, 04:03:20 am »

Could be Guilliman taking the title. They named Sanguinius Emperor in that whole Imperium Secundus thing, so a primarch grabbing the title wouldn't be unprecedented.

I'm excited for whatever's coming up anyway. Good on GW for Actual Plot Progression.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8274 on: February 05, 2017, 04:09:41 am »

If GW was good at characterization, I'd expect Guilliman to hate himself too much to try and become Emperor. There was some degree of that in the original decision to have Sanguinius be replacement Emperor, but now with ten thousand years of frozen horror and also probably being responsible for the Imperium's weakness via the Second Founding.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8275 on: February 05, 2017, 05:28:03 am »

I thought it was the High Lords who did the second founding.

(Also lol @ the only person probably able to pull off a founding would be Fabius)
(P.P.S Him founding a legion would be the coolest plot development of all time IMO)
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8276 on: February 05, 2017, 06:15:12 am »

I think MSH was referring to Imperium Secondus, not the Second Founding of Space Marine chapters.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #8277 on: February 05, 2017, 08:02:41 am »

I doubt it would be some "fake" Emperor, not unless the God Emperor dies and gets reincarnated. I mean, Custodes proably wouldn't listen to Rawbutt or anyone except Big E, unless they got convinced he is Big E which would be pretty fucking hard, to be honest.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8278 on: February 05, 2017, 08:20:31 am »

Probably impossible, since the Emperor has a massive psychic aura, even as a corpse on the throne, that anyone(except possibly blanks) can feel.

And wasn't Gulliman largely responsible for the Second Founding of the Astartes? He wrote the book that mandated it, after all.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8279 on: February 05, 2017, 08:21:21 am »

you know, lore said the tech to male custonians was lost.
but in another lore it says that they keep their numbers up, like immortals would.

what gives contradiction?  are more being made to replace the omes who die standing around the palace looking cool?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!
Pages: 1 ... 550 551 [552] 553 554 ... 824