Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 517 518 [519] 520 521 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 1027002 times)

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile

Well, actualy, according to some novels, ollanius pius lost his perpetual-ness after using the anathame to bitchslap vulkan's senses back into action so he could act when the end times comes, according to what the cabal predicted, but it seems that he isn't exactly dead just ye-*BLAM*
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile

Ollanius Pius has got to be the thing i hate Geedubs most for Retconning
Ïlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile

wasn't he 'just some guy' before, then suddenly immortal?

the issue is, as i see it, that they spend so much time talking about how fuck awful your average trooper is.
and how special sunny bright snowflakes the primarchs are to Ass-tart-ies.
and how single backhands from the 300 year old genebulked SM chaos murderer is.
and how daemons mjndfuck normal humies in. 0.6 seconds and have +6 magic sythes of diamond armor piercing.
and how just the Emp's slong of radiance can blind people, normal or not.

theres a real rigid hierarchy established.
even primarchs kneel on command to bige, and most are left blind and so stupified they can remember physical sensation from the experience that i wouldn't consider painful.

then average joeblow not only moves infront of e, not only faces down terror so plotscary that no humie has veable to act in its presence before, but then takes the hit that everyone above his station was too weak to?

they painted themselves into it wuth they fluffing of the hierarchy.  plus now they get more character story from it
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The original Ollanius worked when Horus was just some guy and he faced the Emperor in a bunker on Terra during a civil war with barely any details. It made sense that a human soldier would protect his emperor from a human general, no matter how empowered and corrupted, and back then the Emperor was meant to have stormed the bunker with guardsmen and marines.

When the primarchs became a thing and Chaos was fleshed out more that made way less sense. Horus' ship itself was corrupted enough to drive Space Marines insane and make normal humans heads explode into tentacles and teeth and start eating the nearest patch of drywall. Human Ollanius A) would have had no way to get on the ship with the Emperor's striketeam, since it was all Custodes and Astartes, and B) would have died near instantly, to the corruption, the daemons or the traitor marines on board.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

Bunker fight is a way more metal than starship fight.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers

A) would have had no way to get on the ship with the Emperor's striketeam, since it was all Custodes and Astartes, and B) would have died near instantly, to the corruption, the daemons or the traitor marines on board.
A)
ALL MEN MUST SERVE THE IMMORTAL GOD EMPEROR. GUARDSMEN ARE PROUD TO SERVE ALONGSIDE THE EMPERORS FINEST AND HELP THEM SMASH THE FOES OF HUMANITY.
B)
GUARDSMEN DO NOT YIELD TO RUINOUS POWERS OF WARP, ESPECIALLY IF THEY DON'T KNOW THAT'S A THING, GUARDSMEN TEAR THROUGH DEAMONS AND WEAKLING TRAITOR MARINES LIKE HOT LASER BEAM THROUGH BUTTER. EMPEROR PROTECTS, AFTER ALL.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile

Yah, considering that Guardsmen Vs Daemon battles are a thing,i dont think that the Warp really can just one-shot peoples sanity. Remember, the main reason we hear so much about it is because the Ecclisiarchy doesnt want us to go into it. I mean, it has been made canon that Orks have survived in pockets in the Eye of Terror.

Oh,and the Ruinous Powers of the warp dont do shit unless you know about the ruinous powers of the warp. They also dont apply if you dont give a single shitabout your own insanity. Fear of your own insanity is like what puts the nail in the coffin for like 75% of Warp-Travelers.

Also, theres a LOT we just dont know about the warp. We've seen it obey/disobey so many of its own "laws" that its almost more like a person. It does what it wants.

Edit: Additionally, Guardsman win battles against marines all the time. ALSO if you are a guardsman in a battle, your the one least likely to be targeted. Who you gonna shoot, some regular joe or the 6/7/8/9/10/WhateverCurrentCodexSays figure of death?
Ïlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

Sanity one shot is absolutely a thing.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: WH40K thread:
« Reply #7778 on: December 12, 2016, 03:44:34 pm »

Well the Warp is part of people's everyday lives... It would be nonsense for it to drive people instantly insane.. or even to do so automatically.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

And yet most humans die instantly upon meeting a Greater Daemon or Daemon Prince in the fluff, the mere aura of chaos it emits is enough to make them have convulsions and bleed into their own brain cavity or renders them catatonic.

Even most stalwart humans become physically ill around them, such as in the novel Storm of Iron and it's sequels, or the 40k Word Bearer's novels in which even Furies, the least of the true daemons, nearly rout a guard army just by being around because las-weapons barely hurt them if they hurt them at all. The ability to face down a Greater Daemon, or even a normal daemon, indicates a strength of will beyond that of most humans or aliens, and usually a level of weaponry far beyond that available to the average man as well.

Even in the RPGs most humans just drop dead when confronted by a daemon, they fail the Fear test and get corruption points, which they have no tolerance for and die. Average person dies or turns into a harmless spawn on 5 corruption points, which is not uncommon for Warp Shock, and anyone who isn't dead will probably be babbling hysterically, vomiting or fleeing depending on how badly they failed their Fear test.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: WH40K thread: Fahrt mich näher h, ich will sie mit meinem Schwert erwischen!
« Reply #7780 on: December 12, 2016, 04:43:54 pm »

Its the Warp it isn't demon town :P

Demon town is in the warp :P

ArchAIngel

• Bay Watcher
  • Infested Pony
    • View Profile

Honestly, the point of Ollanius isn't that he's a reasonable point to use.

He's a legendary figure. An ideal, someone to look up to, to try and imitate.

Which is why I REALLY don't like him being a Perpetual.

His legend-concept is that of the mortal ideal. The MORTAL ideal. He's supposed to be this one guy, normal and bland and standard, who steps in between Horus and the Emperor. No Warp backing him up. No genetic enhancement pumping through his veins. No ancient artifacts granting him incredible power.

Just a man. Just a man who looked at a duel between what may as well be gods, and decided "Here I stand. I shall do no other."

He is nobody special. Ollanius Pius may as well mean John Doe, for all the myth cares.

And him being anything but a ordinary man undermines that legend.

Also, it's one of the few incidents where a mortal does something that even one of the Traitor Legions would look at and go "Yeah, you're a badass." Space Marines, Eldar, Orks, they all have their own grand feats, so rarely undermined.

Can the mere humans have this one thing, and keep it pure human? A tad meta, to be sure, but, well, humans hold the line across the galaxy. Ollanius is a way to show HOW they can do that. By just standing.

By dying. Standing.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The Imperium has Living Saints, Chaos has Greater Daemons, the Eldar have Avatars of Khaine, and Necrons have C'tan Shards. What Greater Daemon equivalent do Orks have?
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: WH40K thread:
« Reply #7783 on: December 12, 2016, 10:57:34 pm »

Orks painted red.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile

I'm Guessing Warbosses since if they're alive long enough they tend to get primarch size and next to impossible to kill especially if the writer is using the whole, Orks can sticks fire bolter shells if they believe enough.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.
Pages: 1 ... 517 518 [519] 520 521 ... 824