Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 478 479 [480] 481 482 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 1023905 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

The way it looks in a normal chainsaw, the blade attaches to the body of the motor at its front. The chain goes around the blade and wraps around the drive.

In a 40k chainsword, the way it looks is that the motor sits closer to the join between the blade and hilt, essentially joining the hilt and the backbone of the blade together. This also changes the stresses on the chain because of the relative position of the motor. In a way I'm not technically minded enough to articulate, a 40k chainsword motor appears to pull the chain rather than circulate it, if that makes any sense.

Which I think would be totally doable with a small enough electric motor, to the point a chainsword didn't have to weigh 35 pounds and be awkwardly unbalanced.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile

Someone DID make that chainsaw bayonet.

EDIT: Upon further research, it looks like people have made many of varying levels of quality--some quite nice, others... literally chainsaws just welded to guns.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 03:18:40 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Warhammer smells and is bad so you should feel bad. (Fact)
« Reply #7187 on: October 18, 2016, 03:36:34 pm »

Funny thing is...

I think a Bayonet is actually more effective then a chainsaw.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers

Depends what bayonet, tbh. Chainsaw bayonet could proably dig into the wound and make any treatment literally impossible. There's a reason why Soviet Mosin bayonets that were nothing more than sharp spikes were so fucking scary - blade wounds cound be sewn together, when you have a hole in you that's basically punched through it's harder. Now imagine a fucking chainsaw ripping all through your insides. Yeah, not fun.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tyranids eat Burrotos and fart... That is how their space travel works.
« Reply #7189 on: October 18, 2016, 04:03:19 pm »

Depends what bayonet, tbh. Chainsaw bayonet could proably dig into the wound and make any treatment literally impossible. There's a reason why Soviet Mosin bayonets that were nothing more than sharp spikes were so fucking scary - blade wounds cound be sewn together, when you have a hole in you that's basically punched through it's harder. Now imagine a fucking chainsaw ripping all through your insides. Yeah, not fun.

You want to go in and out!

It is why most settings that use Chainsaw Bayonets also make the chainsaws super sharp with engines powerful enough to power a jetplane (and sometimes also make enemies stop attacking when they are lightly tapped by it)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

In fairness, if there's any attack that would consistently break a person into full panic mode, it's probably being stabbed with a chainsaw bayonet.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Secret Hilary Clinton doesn't want you to know
« Reply #7191 on: October 18, 2016, 04:08:39 pm »

In fairness, if there's any attack that would consistently break a person into full panic mode, it's probably being stabbed with a chainsaw bayonet.

Well you can't "Stab" someone with a Chainsaw Bayonet so to speak.

But a fear tactic weapon that works consistently is fire.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 04:12:21 pm by Neonivek »

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile

How does fire intimidate a space marine? Do they really not have any way to just ignore that shit?
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

How does fire intimidate a space marine? Do they really not have any way to just ignore that shit?

They generally rely on power armour being nearly fireproof.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile

Ask a helldrake that.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

I learned this last summer. Fell off a bike and the sprocket gouged me in the ankle, twice. Left a nice half-inch deep hole. Damn thing bled for days and days and it was only the size of a pencil. Puncture wounds are no fucking joke.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile

I learned this last summer. Fell off a bike and the sprocket gouged me in the ankle, twice. Left a nice half-inch deep hole. Damn thing bled for days and days and it was only the size of a pencil. Puncture wounds are no fucking joke.
I can confirm, got shanked with a pencil once. Things bleed like hell and are hard to fix up.
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile

From experience, the grease and, well, grime probably factored in.  It probably didn't get "infected", but some stuff may have got in there which impaired proper scabbing.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile

From experience, the grease and, well, grime probably factored in.  It probably didn't get "infected", but some stuff may have got in there which impaired proper scabbing.
Yeah  grease would impaire propper coalgulating due to it being an oil while blood is water based
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

I had a pretty small wound, but it was delivered by a shaving razor to the tip of my finger (don't go rooting around in a bag full of stuff by feel alone, kids!). Even though it was small, it took me the better part of an hour to staunch the bleeding. It even overwhelmed my attempts at bandaging.

There's a reason why it's a trained profession. By comparison, my largest wound of all time, the loss of almost all the skin on the front of a leg when a particularly idiotic middle school classmate tackled me into a concrete curb, sealed by itself within minutes.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 478 479 [480] 481 482 ... 824