Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 393 394 [395] 396 397 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 1023435 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: You are what you eat, so eat your greens.
« Reply #5910 on: August 22, 2016, 11:44:27 pm »

Man. I just wanna' know what happens when a mekboy decides to make a tau nice and orky by way of gubbins, and succeeds without killing the tau.
You can't make dem blue gits Orky, ya grech! Dey ain't even Orks!

Grog, sum meks, me swear.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #5911 on: August 22, 2016, 11:53:03 pm »

Deyz orks if I sez they is and I 'it 'em hard enough with this here sparky whatsit! Can make orky anyting iz please iffin' dey don't run 'way fast enuff. The ones that don't jus squish, anyway.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5912 on: August 22, 2016, 11:58:45 pm »

Dude, I can accept that guardsmen are shit at melee USUALLY and when compared to, lets say, Astrates, but as bad as Fire Warriors? That is one of gravest insults I ever heard in this thread.

Dude, I've got bad news for you, Vior'la Sept are exactly as good as rank and file IG in melee combat, and still have better armor.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5913 on: August 23, 2016, 12:56:41 am »

Fun fact: Against orks, a given number of Fire Warriors will inflict exactly the same number of casualties on average as an equivalent number of guardsmen. Fire Warriors are also marginally more likely to survive thanks to better armor, defensive grenades, and their overwatch fire is more likely to be effective.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5914 on: August 23, 2016, 02:17:51 am »

I would like MetalSlimeHunt to join in melee combat against, say, a bear, and then make his claims.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5915 on: August 23, 2016, 02:51:49 am »

Dude, I can accept that guardsmen are shit at melee USUALLY and when compared to, lets say, Astrates, but as bad as Fire Warriors? That is one of gravest insults I ever heard in this thread.

Dude, I've got bad news for you, Vior'la Sept are exactly as good as rank and file IG in melee combat, and still have better armor.

But there are also catachans and deathkorps.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5916 on: August 23, 2016, 03:02:42 am »

The best Tau melee stats still exceed the baseline IG, that is the entire point here.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5917 on: August 23, 2016, 03:38:16 am »

Yeah, well you send guardsmen to fight orks in melee and tell me how that works out for you. They will get the first hit in.
Shows how much you know. A diligent reader of the Regimental Standard will know that an ork stands no chance against the average well-trained guardsman in melee combat. Even better, defeating one of them is likely to make the others rout in abject fear of your skill with the combat knife.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5918 on: August 23, 2016, 05:31:18 am »

The best Tau melee stats still exceed the baseline IG, that is the entire point here.
Do they though? Crisis suits are still WS2 iirc.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #5919 on: August 23, 2016, 06:58:29 am »

The absolute best Tau melee stats exceed the almost worst IG melee stats. Cool.
Also, isin't that where the Farsight is from? I would guess the Tau equivalent of Death World would indeed teach Tau a lesson or two about life, but that still doesn't change the fact they, as a whole, are much, MUCH, MUUUUUUUUUCH worse than humans as a whole in melee. Also, fuck, stop going by tabletop stats, they're "balanced" and not nescessarily making sense.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5920 on: August 23, 2016, 07:04:28 am »

The absolute best Tau melee stats exceed the almost worst IG melee stats. Cool.
Also, isin't that where the Farsight is from? I would guess the Tau equivalent of Death World would indeed teach Tau a lesson or two about life, but that still doesn't change the fact they, as a whole, are much, MUCH, MUUUUUUUUUCH worse than humans as a whole in melee. Also, fuck, stop going by tabletop stats, they're "balanced" and not nescessarily making sense.
But Kot, and you know I'm balls to the wall imperial as you do, the tabletop is a good point of reference. Also the lore states (or used to at least, don't know if GW changed that too) that while the average tau is weaker than the average human, the firewarriors are not average and are more muscular than the norm, while His Most Holly Imperial Guard sometimes do left a lot to desire.

Firewarriors do have that bonding rite and some melee training, they are just not expected to engage in it ever, just like most modern real life military.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #5921 on: August 23, 2016, 07:16:37 am »

That's what I am saying too:
As for Tau and melee, there are few points.
First of all, Tau are in fact, in general, weaker psychically and have slower reaction speed than humans and Fire Warriors only overcome it by rigurous training and thanks to thousands of years of eugenics. So, Fire Warrior is an equivalent of a human Guardsman, which... isin't really that big achievment for a human. Humans can still be much, much stronger, while Fire Warriors are on their peak and yet they might have slightly worse reflexes.
Their eyesight is generally good but their pupils do not dilate, giving poorer depth perception and it takes them longer time to focus, so they automatically basically can't see shit in close combat. The high-tech super helmets do not really help, because they make all the downsides more down, though they do let them be better at range, which is... not bad, for a Tau.
Tau do not really have melee weaponry. Before Ethereals came they fought each other with melee and proably some kinds of bows, so they now think they're barbaric and a reminder of their violent (Tau were RIDICULOUSLY hostile fucks back then, possibly on par with Orks, even) past. And when they do, they're mostly ritual weapons - the bonding knives the squad leaders have are technically working weapons but using them in close combat with enemy and risking breaking it is... putting the honour of not only the leader in question but the whole squad at stake, which is something unthinkable for them. The Ethereals are obviously extempt because, while they do not really fight at all (the one time they did they all died and we got Farsight Enclaves), Tau are mind-boggling hypocrites who will accept anything they normally disagree with as long as the Ethereals do it.

Rollpgeek Theorm, which states that the Ethereals are exempt not because of their status but because of the artistic grace and skill of honor blade combat.
This.
I cannot stop laughing condescendingly.
Also, I guess a lot also depends on what Guardsman we are talking here. Remember that a lot of them come from Hive Worlds or so, where punching someone to death is an required skill to survive. Also, if the regiment puts at least minor focus on melee (let's say Death Korps (which is actually represented on tabletop, IIRC) or Armageddon Ork Hunters (I mean, those dudes go hand-to-hand with Orks, they're miniature Sly Marbos) or basically whoever you could see on art with a sword) then Tau suck when compared to them. As for the regular Cadian-style dude from backwater agri-world then... yes, Tau Fire Warrior might be as good as him, but that's not really insulting to the Guardsman, after all, he is as good as the most elite of elites super champion of the ninjas Fire Warrior. :P
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5922 on: August 23, 2016, 07:48:05 am »

No. Tabletop stats are the one true denominator and I will defend them with twice the vigor you seem to show for human supremacy.

All writing is canon but not necessarily true.
Stats are canon and ALWAYS true.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5923 on: August 23, 2016, 11:40:40 am »

Also, I guess a lot also depends on what Guardsman we are talking here. Remember that a lot of them come from Hive Worlds or so, where punching someone to death is an required skill to survive. Also, if the regiment puts at least minor focus on melee (let's say Death Korps (which is actually represented on tabletop, IIRC) or Armageddon Ork Hunters (I mean, those dudes go hand-to-hand with Orks, they're miniature Sly Marbos) or basically whoever you could see on art with a sword) then Tau suck when compared to them. As for the regular Cadian-style dude from backwater agri-world then... yes, Tau Fire Warrior might be as good as him, but that's not really insulting to the Guardsman, after all, he is as good as the most elite of elites super champion of the ninjas Fire Warrior. :P

You seem to misunderstand Kot, every single fire warrior from Vior'la (and all of its successor worlds, BTW), one of the Tau core sept worlds, is superior to basic line infantry of the Empire.  These are not some super elite special forces unit, they are line infantry who will not hesitate to fuck someone up close in.  It is not a matter of physical differences here, it is purely training doctrine.  Not even open to interpretation, straight up flat out how they are presented by GW.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #5924 on: August 23, 2016, 12:45:51 pm »

You seem to misunderstand Kot, every single fire warrior from Vior'la (and all of its successor worlds, BTW), one of the Tau core sept worlds, is superior to basic line infantry of the Empire.  These are not some super elite special forces unit, they are line infantry who will not hesitate to fuck someone up close in.  It is not a matter of physical differences here, it is purely training doctrine.  Not even open to interpretation, straight up flat out how they are presented by GW.
You forgot something in your post.

But seriously, eh, not really. First of all, if we're saying that every single Fire Warrior from certain Tau Sept (which totally doesn't make them unique snowflakes amongst the other Tau) is superior to basic line infantry (what is even basic line infantry in Balkan states?) of the IMPERIUM, then we could take an example of Imperial Guard regiment from any planet to see if they're better at melee than basic line infantry of Tau or even those Vior'la guys... so, let's embark on a magical adventure:
Catachans? They're fucking RAMBOS IN SPACE. Tallarns? Swords are even a major part of their culture, they proably sleep with them tucked between their legs. Death Korpsmen? TANKS SPOTTED, AFFIX BAYONEEEETS! Armageddon Ork Hunters? Those guys literally go toff to teeth with Orks... and win. Kanak Skull Takers or Brontian Longknives? God Emperor, they usually have more knives, axes and other melee weapons on themselves than charges in their Lasguns. Tanith First-and-Only? Stealthy fucks that will shank you with their Straight Silvers before you can even notice. Cadian Kasrkins? Tau should thank their Greater Good that Eye of Terror is on the other side of Galaxy so they never met. Attilan Rough Riders or Pyrans or Death Korps Rough Riders, Brimlocks or Vitrians or ANY ROUGH RIDERS? Getting a face full of explosive spear counts as melee. Elysians? They kill people like Mario does, by jumping on them. Valhallans? Massed Soviet bayonet charges. Vostroyans? Going to cut you up with expensive-as-fuck heirloom sabres. Maccabians? HEADBUTTS. Scintillians and Mordians? THEY LIVE IN AGE OF 18TH CENTURY WARFARE, HALF OF THEIR TRAINING IS BAYONETS. Mordants or Savlars? THEY'RE RIPPED OUT OF MAD MAX. Harakoni Warhawks? THEY'RE ELYSIANS BUT TWICE AS BIG AND ANGRY. Finreht Higlanders or Drookian Fenguard? CLAYMORES FOR FREEDOOOOOOOOOOOM! Athonian Tunnel Rats or Luggnum Sewer Rats? They would feel at home in Vietnam tunnels. Praetorian Guard? THIN RED LINE.
And those aren't super elite special forces units, those are regular guardsmen from their respective regiments that are completly regular, it's just that Tau have one sept that is half-not-shit at melee while Imperium has thousands upon thousands of worlds where everyone could rip your head off with the spine still attached, using only a dull spoon.

Not even open to interpretation, straight up flat out how they are presented by GW.
Blueberry propaganda.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 12:52:07 pm by Kot »
Pages: 1 ... 393 394 [395] 396 397 ... 824