Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 345 346 [347] 348 349 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 1024873 times)

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: Disorder Vacuum Seamen.
« Reply #5190 on: August 07, 2016, 04:41:12 pm »

I am pretty sure there is Imperial Guard regiment specialized in over and underwater warfare, so I guess it's of possibru.
Imperial Guard best Guard
Yes.
Orks are pretty cool too
Not loyalist enough.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #5191 on: August 07, 2016, 04:42:48 pm »

It's honestly quite surprising no one's tried to do an underwater 40k spinoff between spehss mahrin and tau, in that one campaign where literally everyone fought underwater at the bottom of the ocean
Well, umm, you see, the thing is that um, um..........??>>?!!?

Does anyone actually have boats? I don't think I've ever seen a boat model for this game. Not spaceships that can serve as boats, but actual fucking boats. Like if they need to fight over an Ocean planet, what the fuck do they do? Are there just the people who can breathe underwater fighting and thats it? Maybe spaceships which serve as submarines? I'm actually a bit awed by the fact that I've never seen WH40k at sea. It never occured to me that there are just no boats. huh.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #5192 on: August 07, 2016, 04:47:40 pm »

There are rules (note - ramming them with Chimeras is very effective apparently) for Ork Submersibles and that's about it. I would love to see some Imperial ships tho, like hueg tankers with Eagles and spiky Gothic bits everywhere.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5193 on: August 07, 2016, 04:48:15 pm »

Well, umm, you see, the thing is that um, um..........??>>?!!?

Does anyone actually have boats? I don't think I've ever seen a boat model for this game. Not spaceships that can serve as boats, but actual fucking boats. Like if they need to fight over an Ocean planet, what the fuck do they do? Are there just the people who can breathe underwater fighting and thats it? Maybe spaceships which serve as submarines? I'm actually a bit awed by the fact that I've never seen WH40k at sea. It never occured to me that there are just no boats. huh.
In all the lore and fluff I've read, I've read exactly one case of an actual battleship sailing on the sea being used in 40k. It was an old thing made by native worlders a while ago, and had been commandeered by spehss mahhrin (technically at that moment, just normal marhein) to sail towards some chaos threat.

Well, there are always Chimeras. Chimeras are seaworthy vessels, and can track between water and land. They have no issue in swamps and can do normandy landings as long as there's no tank traps in front, but in theory, you could have a flotilla of chimeras full of guardsmen sailing the open ocean. As long as they had supply chimeras and so on, it'd be achievable, and is the best idea ever

Not sure if the guardsmen would be happy living in a chimera, but they don't really get much choice in the matter, it's either that or try their luck in the ocean

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #5194 on: August 07, 2016, 04:53:46 pm »

Spoiler: Da Boot (click to show/hide)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5195 on: August 07, 2016, 05:19:41 pm »

>tfw ig tactics on sea are literally the same as on land

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5196 on: August 07, 2016, 05:25:12 pm »

See, that's why orkz iz da best. They are the only ones with sea technology. Everyone else just see an ocean and go "welp, time to turn around I guess".
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5197 on: August 07, 2016, 05:33:00 pm »

There are boats in 40k, but since spaceships and planes tend to trump naval transports in most circumstances they rarely matter. They feature a bit in the RPGs and background material, but usually are only used by locals for various normal matters, like hunting giant tentacled sea monsters, or dredging acid seas for salvage.

One of the downsides to a navy in a space age setting is that the ocean your ships are floating on is much more easy to bombard from orbit without collateral damage than a Hive City's garrison is.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5198 on: August 07, 2016, 05:39:21 pm »

There are boats in 40k, but since spaceships and planes tend to trump naval transports in most circumstances they rarely matter. They feature a bit in the RPGs and background material, but usually are only used by locals for various normal matters, like hunting giant tentacled sea monsters, or dredging acid seas for salvage.

One of the downsides to a navy in a space age setting is that the ocean your ships are floating on is much more easy to bombard from orbit without collateral damage than a Hive City's garrison is.
While true, they can also probably afford to dump everything into defenses, including void generators, and might be able to submerge. Burning through the oceans causes it's own collateral damage.

Plus, they aren't much more vulnerable than a supply convoy on land is, if you're needing to move between cities.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5199 on: August 07, 2016, 06:17:34 pm »

Yeah, there are horse regiments in 40k too. Badass but usually not a big deal in serious fights
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5200 on: August 07, 2016, 06:19:30 pm »

While true, they can also probably afford to dump everything into defenses, including void generators, and might be able to submerge. Burning through the oceans causes it's own collateral damage.

Plus, they aren't much more vulnerable than a supply convoy on land is, if you're needing to move between cities.

I imagine Void shields don't help too much against tidal waves caused by shells intended to kill spaceships crashing into the sea just outside the shield with the force of a meteor. Which is another problem for ships actually, unless they're very strong even a fairly distant miss from orbit could cause major damage from the amount of water turbulence it causes. The size of most Hive Cities means that a tidal wave is unlikely to damage anything important in them, mostly just drowning/crushing the lower hives and underhive.

It's also easier to mount huuuuuuuge guns on dry land in fortresses and cities than it is on a boat. If you need laser weapons big enough to shoot frigate class spacecraft there's way more room for them and their generators on land than in a ship that needs to move around.

It's also in theory easier to hide a land convoy in rugged terrain or stick near targets that can't be put at risk than it is at sea. Broken ground, mountainous terrain, forests and so on can make it very hard to get good targeting info on a convoy, but the sea is fairly uneventful, if large, and a boat is probably possible to detect with enough scanning.

Yeah, there are horse regiments in 40k too. Badass but usually not a big deal in serious fights

They mostly serve as scouts and occasional linebreakers supplementing other regiments as I understand it.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5201 on: August 07, 2016, 06:38:20 pm »

I've read about a couple floating fortresses in 40k, typically used to deal with crazy overgrown acquatic predators troubling local production.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 06:39:53 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5202 on: August 07, 2016, 06:40:18 pm »

I've read about a couple floating fortresses in 40k, typically used to deal with crazy overgrown acquatic predators.

There's also a few hive cities built upside down into the ocean, but such things are generally restricted to water worlds where there is little to no dry land.

Best not to deal with the complications of the ocean unless you have to really.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5203 on: August 07, 2016, 06:55:47 pm »

Well Tyranids could invade an ocean pretty easily. It's a worrying idea, having splinter remnant sea monsters clearing all of the life from the sea and readying a new invasion.

Also @Grim portent
FAQdrafts are coming out, apparently if raiders jink all the occupants snap fire now.
Makes them less great.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 06:57:22 pm by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5204 on: August 07, 2016, 06:57:37 pm »

Well Tyranids could invade an ocean pretty easily. It's a worrying idea, having splinter remnant sea monsters clearing all of the life from the sea and readying a new invasion.

Would be... If the only race that has trouble fighting UNDER DA SEA!!!! would be the Orcs.
Pages: 1 ... 345 346 [347] 348 349 ... 824