Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 302 303 [304] 305 306 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 1022442 times)

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: Disorder Vacuum Seamen.
« Reply #4545 on: June 27, 2016, 09:39:14 am »

Even if humanity cannot remember the whys, their religious fervor are linked to difficult experiences of the past. Robots? Mens of irons. Aliens? Diverging minds and goals. Mutation? Loss of genetic material. Psykers? Too dangerous for everything.

If an agriworld get access to xenos crop, they can not tell if it is a time bomb or not. If the context of the acquisition remove doubts, maybe a group of genetors would make experiments but they'd never risk starving a hiveworld over it.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4546 on: June 27, 2016, 10:15:42 am »

Well, 40k operates according to a version of Finagle's Law; Horus's Law: The Universe tends towards maximum grimdarkness.

Xenos-modified crops would probably not be optimized for human consumption, and vice versa, on the other hand. And Agri-Worlds probably have plenty of strains of them already, and I would bet there's a 'thriving' trade in breeding and selling different strains (10,000 years allows for a lot of selective breeding), especially for any crop designs found in STCs.

Buuuuut. Some xenos crops helping means that the Imperium's hatred of xenos ends up shooting itself in the foot (not in a big way, but enough), which is more grim and dark than if they were completely justified, because hatred without reason (yes there's reason you get what I'm saying though) is darker than hatred with reason.

Some might kill, though I doubt there'd be any temptation to even try them, past the first person dying of food poisoning. Squigs would probably orkify those who ate them, and then grow ork spores in their waste.

Finally...purity is the only way the Imperium can survive. Not the only way humans can. :P

Question for all of you! If you were to fall to Chaos, which of the Dark Powers would claim your soul? No man or woman is truly immune to heresy. Save for Blanks, of course.

If you're having trouble deciding, here's a few secondary Chaos Gods that can be used to describe mixtures.

Nurgle+Slaanesh (and some Tzeentch, but not as important right now) = Mother Maris, Queen of Nightmares, Goddess of Sleep, Fatigue, and Dreams.
Tzeentch+Slaanesh = Ascalish, God of Experiments, Logic, and Invention
Nurgle + Khorne = ???, God of Death, Endings, and Kinship
Tzeentch + Khorne = Malis, God of Betrayal, Anarchy, and Self-Loathing
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4547 on: June 27, 2016, 10:30:37 am »

I haven't even heard of those secondary gods, but a Goddess of Sleep, Fatigue and Dreams sounds right up my alley. I'd probably go for Nurgle out of the primaries, if the man took a shower and some healthier life habits. Maybe Tzeentch, then. It'd be nice to know everything that happens is Just As Planned. Bad day? It's all part of the Great Plan, don't worry!
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ˇNo parmesan!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4548 on: June 27, 2016, 10:37:55 am »

All hail the Dark Prince.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4549 on: June 27, 2016, 11:00:13 am »

Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!
Plus some nice stuff about Justice, Honor, and Loyalty. It's my belief that every god's spheres represent some good as well.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4550 on: June 27, 2016, 11:28:37 am »

Where did you even get these secondary gods from?

Anyway, Malal/Malice is where it's at. Might as well go all the way. CHAOS UNDIVIDED ONLY TRUE CHAOS.

Good? Debatable. But necessary... Yes.

Nurgle - With life comes death. And if things didn't rot... Let's just say things would be a lot worse.
Tzeentch - Change is good.
Slaanesh - uh... Happiness?
Nurgle -> Kinship, family, belonging, fertilizer is made of dead stuff
Tzeentch -> Innovation, hope, the thrill of discovery
Slaanesh -> Pleasure, of all kinds (not just the over-represented sex and drugs)
Khorne -> Honour, fairness, courage
Malal -> Uh...
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4551 on: June 27, 2016, 11:34:50 am »

Existence. The universe turns on an axis at the center of which lies Nurgle, overseer of the circle of life.
Slaanesh -> Pleasure, of all kinds (not just the over-represented sex and drugs)
Love.
Malal -> Uh...
Justice. In a cruel universe, it is Malal who ensures that even the most powerful tyrants get what they deserve.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4552 on: June 27, 2016, 11:38:56 am »

Existence. The universe turns on an axis at the center of which lies Nurgle, overseer of the circle of life.
Love.
Malal -> Uh...
Justice. In a cruel universe, it is Malal who ensures that even the most powerful tyrants get what they deserve.
Thanks. Though that's for 40k. In fantasy (RIP) I have no idea what the Horned Rat and his overlooked buddy Hashut (hell, GW didn't even handwave him away, he just vanished) have positive about them, if at all.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4553 on: June 27, 2016, 11:40:20 am »

So are ordinary Imperial Citizens indoctrinated and brainwashed... or are they somehow ok with being eaten as fuel?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4554 on: June 27, 2016, 11:44:07 am »

The Horned Rat is more or less about entropy, which I suppose you could see a positive side to if you consider the alternative a perfectly static universe. Hashut might well be an aspect of Khorne, Tzeentch, or Malal. Both of them are atypical in that they're not "universalist", and only accept worshipers from their chosen races.
So are ordinary Imperial Citizens indoctrinated and brainwashed... or are they somehow ok with being eaten as fuel?
Needs must. It's better than starving, and in the end, the Imperium needs every bit of energy they can reclaim. That said, most Imperials probably do not get eaten, just the ones on warfronts or in underhives.
No Gods, No Masters.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4555 on: June 27, 2016, 11:49:38 am »

It's generally not common knowledge that many citizens are rendered into food products. Most people in 40k outside the Mechanicus are ignorant of the fact and act with horror and disgust when they find out. It's used as a plot point in a few BL novels to drive home how inhuman Tech Priests and Chaos Marines are that neither consider consuming humans in any way taboo.

Some are vaguely aware that dead/broken servitors get rendered down into nutrients and fed to other servitors though.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4556 on: June 27, 2016, 11:50:41 am »

I am a bit surprised to find out that they are also eaten as food.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4557 on: June 27, 2016, 11:54:19 am »

The Great Horned Rat is (in the current meta) basically Nurgle's bitch. None of the chaos gods take him anywhere near seriously.

Also, I'm already devoted to Tzeentch, so there that is.
An almost-certain betrayal later in return for phenomenal magical power now? Why, Yes please.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4558 on: June 27, 2016, 12:24:05 pm »

Let's see how that magical power holds up against a chainaxe, witch. :D

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #4559 on: June 27, 2016, 12:48:10 pm »

Finally...purity is the only way the Imperium can survive. Not the only way humans can. :P
Humanity is Imperium. Without Imperium, humanity will not survive. Imperium is only thing that can realistically hold off Tyranids and hundreds if not thousands other events ending life on Galactic scale. It is next to impossible, but it's the only hope. Sure, humans can divide and turn into Weaboo Tau slaves, they can be friends with other aliens, they can create their own small factions, democracies, they can be noblebright...
But in the end, only the Imperial Moloch can get Humanity through the Grim Darkness of the future to come.

Question for all of you! If you were to fall to Chaos, which of the Dark Powers would claim your soul? No man or woman is truly immune to heresy. Save for Blanks, of course.
I am very good at causing discomfort and hostility in people around me, so I am proably a Blank. :P
There's a chance I'm just an asshole though.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.
Pages: 1 ... 302 303 [304] 305 306 ... 824