Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 291 292 [293] 294 295 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 1022373 times)

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: Disorder Vacuum Seamen.
« Reply #4380 on: June 06, 2016, 11:30:40 am »

Again, you cannot call the origin point of the fad 'generic' as it clearly establishes the brand/genre/whatever, Star Trek is not generic, the umpteen million things that ape it are.  LotR is not generic, very nearly every single fantasy written since is.

Use terminology correctly.

There are a great many things you can call Star Trek, and some of them are extremely unflattering, but you cannot call it 'generic' because that word doesn't mean what you seem to think it means.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4381 on: June 06, 2016, 11:32:10 am »

Okay, you are right in that. My bad there.
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4382 on: June 06, 2016, 11:37:42 am »

40k is literally the most generic sci-fi setting ever.
*Generic gothic sci-fi. 40k is one of those things where when you're literally everything you're nothing, but if you could pick anything that was definitively 40k-esque it would be slapping skulls, spikes and spires on top of ancient technology

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4383 on: June 06, 2016, 11:41:12 am »

I just realized there's a precedence for who flame wars would fall under, and it's most likely indeed Tzeentch

When the Eldar Empire were at their peak and the humans entering the dark age of technology, both species had essentially conquered disease, the Eldar were so superior no one could possibly challenge them in warfare and the humans used the men of iron to fight for them (thus spilling no blood). With both species full of hope and ambition, no blood spilt and disease near-perished, Tzeentch was top don and Khorne and Nurgle waning, up until Slaanesh is born
Non-human species still have blood.
Yeah obviously, Khorne didn't stop existing - my point is that the moment the humans stopped using Men of Iron and had to bleed for themselves, Khorne becomes the most powerful god in the immaterium. Who knows what strategies the various xenos used, what we do know is that humanity's overarching specialty is attrition warfare and is in the 40k universe the prime source of blood for the blood god and skulls for the skulls throne. If they were able to keep the men of iron under control and on the frontlines, then Slaanesh and Tzeentch would be the biggest rivals

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4384 on: June 06, 2016, 02:01:32 pm »

Robots slicing each other up, or like, motile plant people stabbing each other is just fine.
KHORNE CARES NOT FROM WHERE THE SAP FLOWS.

BLOOD-AMBER FOR THE AMBER CROWN
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4385 on: June 06, 2016, 04:45:33 pm »

Gothic antiquity, magic and fascism are the three things that I think define 40k in the sci-fi genre.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4386 on: June 06, 2016, 04:54:54 pm »

Yeah, while wh40k isn't that original, it has an over-the-top gothic style that makes it instantly recognisable.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4387 on: June 06, 2016, 09:33:53 pm »

(That's why it's easily the best one)
It's got nearly anything you could want. Aliens with a japanese feel that in general want to help you? Tau! Space Elves? Eldar! Space Rapists? Dark Eldar!
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4388 on: June 06, 2016, 10:06:33 pm »

Swords and heavy plate in space. Done.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4389 on: June 06, 2016, 10:08:11 pm »

no dwarvs.
too sad.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4390 on: June 06, 2016, 11:01:05 pm »

SHORT HUmANS
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4391 on: June 07, 2016, 01:29:34 am »

no dwarvs.
too sad.

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Squat
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

In between studying for finals, I've been slowly working on an army list. When it's finished, can I run it by y'all?

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4392 on: June 07, 2016, 07:12:31 am »

In regards to 40k and where it took its shit from, the only thing that I'm 100% sure 40K took heavy inspiration from was a comic named Nemesis the Warlock, which came out around the same time or a bit before the first editions of 40K.

Now, for a quick example of the similarities:

1-Humanity is ruled by a theocracy led by a god king type guy, check.

2-Humanity hates alien guts so hard it actively exterminates any aliens it comes across, check.

3-Humanity's finest warriors are these religiously fervorous groups of power armored super warriors, check.

4-A nearly all powerful inquisition-type organization watches over humanity, check.

5-Humanity's greatest enemy is referred to as a demon/warlock thing that happens to use psychic powers/magic, check.

6-Humans are not the good guys, and pretty much nobody else seems to fit that role, check.

7-God king guy eventualy becomes an extra-physical actualy godlike being, check.

The art style is also rather similar to 40k's earlier uglier, grittier art style, specially regarding anything chaos related. Also, apparently the main guy for nemesis the warlock actualy worked with GW for a while, at least as an artist, though I'm not sure of that.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 07:19:22 am by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4393 on: June 07, 2016, 07:31:01 am »

On the other side of the scale I'm pretty sure Fading Suns takes heavily from 40K. Hell it could even be happening on the 40K universe on a isolated sector on the age of strife or something.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4394 on: June 07, 2016, 07:31:43 am »

The single greatest derivation of 40k is, surprise surprise, Dune. As the only form of sci-fi at the time that was anything other than classic optimistic sci-fi (cyberpunk was still a bit nascent, you see that coming in with 3rd ed. and later), this was a necessity in order to lay the foundation of Grimdark.

Though it should be noted that even Dune, for all the horrible shit that happens, still follows the classic sci-fi formula in the end. In fact, all the bad shit that Leto II did to humanity was literally and verifiably necessary in order to place humanity on the Golden Path and survive, down to the very last murder. In that sense, Dune is not about the grimdark failings of human nature at all, but only precognitive certainty.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 291 292 [293] 294 295 ... 824