Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 274 275 [276] 277 278 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 1022218 times)

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: Disorder Vacuum Seamen.
« Reply #4125 on: May 07, 2016, 10:20:36 am »

I will state, however, the influence of Khorne is only in the book; in the game itself there's nothing at all like that. You're just a Tau version of Rambo.
It is a pretty good explanation though. Fire Warriors aren't know to take out Lords of Change and half a chapter worth of Space Marines, not to mention metric fucktons of Guardsmen and other stuff.
And he literally goes screaming "BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD" at one time in the book, IIRC.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4126 on: May 07, 2016, 10:26:01 am »

And then he goes on to become the Tau commander in Dawn of War: Dark Crusade, which is a cool little detail.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #4127 on: May 07, 2016, 11:14:34 am »

Ye, that's the guy. Seems like a little bit of Chaos is actually beneficial to Tau.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4128 on: May 07, 2016, 11:57:47 am »

Indeed they do not. There was one event, which was in Dawn of War 1 if I remember right, where some daemons tried to vox the Tau to do their usual megalomaniac taunting. The Tau only heard static.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4129 on: May 07, 2016, 12:07:03 pm »

For all you tabletop guys, where is the 7th Ed Chaos codex? All I can find is the Khorne Daemonkin. Where is my Slaanesh? Are other Chaos codices gonna be released soon?

What are you talking about? Chaos Space Marines have a codex and two supplements and Chaos Daemons have their own codex and supplemental rules in Curse of the Wulfen. Neither have 7th edition codices, but that just means they lack a lot of the fun in codex formation type stuff that the newer codices have.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4130 on: May 07, 2016, 02:38:12 pm »

They technically have a codex.

Hope you like metal birds, hope you don't like winning.
Shoes...

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4131 on: May 07, 2016, 07:37:29 pm »

So, you can use 6th edition codices in 7th edition?
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4132 on: May 07, 2016, 08:07:10 pm »

The general rule is you are supposed to use whatever codex is most recent for the faction you play as.

For the longest time dark eldar were still using their 3rd edition codex while the game was in 5th or so.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4133 on: May 07, 2016, 08:19:58 pm »

Oh, cool. Thanks guys!
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4134 on: May 07, 2016, 11:42:54 pm »

Means we get fun things like spell familiars because they're still from back in the day when psychic tests were on Ld, and extra armor and daemonic pilot both occupying the same area.

Edit: in other news, found out from the Chapter Master thread that the Black Templars chapter now numbers just over a thousand members.

I guess discuss.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 02:08:19 am by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4135 on: May 08, 2016, 07:36:34 am »

According to the Lexicanum website, it's supposedly 5000-6000 Marines.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4136 on: May 08, 2016, 07:46:51 am »

I think 3000-5000 is closer to it, since they have 3 large crusader fleets flying about and numerous smaller ones dotted everywhere

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4137 on: May 08, 2016, 07:53:27 am »

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Black_Templars#fn_Note

According to Lexicanum they're a 1000 marine codex compliant chapter of 5000-6000 marines that are as numerous as the story requires them to be.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #4138 on: May 08, 2016, 09:03:19 am »

The deployment map from 4th Edition Codex: Black Templars apparently added up to over 6000 Marines, but it's not very helpful since they didin't deploy at once so a bunch of them proably fought in more than one deployment. Older Codexes also mentioned 5000-6000, so did Aaron Dembski-Bowden.
On the other hand, Eternal Crusader novel mentions that 200 Marines is one fifth of total Black Templars numbers which makes them exactly Codex sized.
During Armageddon, Black Templars had about 1200 Marines, and High Marshall Helbrecht was said to have mustered three crusades. Older fluff mentioned that Black Templars only had three "primary" Crusades with multiple "secondary" ones that are much smaller, so we don't really know which they were. There are only ten Black Swords for whole Chapter so theoretically that would mean that there can be only 10 crusades at any given time, which gives us 4000 Marines when combined with Armageddon deployment number... unless maybe some "secondary" Crusades can afford not having one ready for a Champion that could arise. Also, In Blood and Fire, our most favourite Chaplain of all time mentions that they have dozens of crusades going on...

tl;dr
Nobody actually knows. Absolute minimum is slightly over 1000, reasonable maximum is around 5000-6000, retarded maximum is around 10000. It should be noted that they practically never fight all together, and most known deployments were around 500 Marines. Honestly, in my humble opinion, they are uncountable. They are way too stretched and barely keep contact with each other, nearly making crusades chapters of themselves and that proably means their numbers fluctuate a lot. At one point they might have only 1000 Marines, at other they might have 10000 Marines, but it's not like anybody actually bothers to count.
On the bright side, they will proably never truly die off due to that, so I guess the whole purpose of abusing a loophole that says a Crusading Chapter without a homeworld can have more Marines to not let them all get killed at once is achieved.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4139 on: May 08, 2016, 09:56:17 am »

Dont black templars have like 10000 marines?

Somewhere between 5 and 10, yeah. They get around the "codex compliant" issue by exploiting a loophole on Crusade Recruiting
Yeah, about that...

Not that it's something that can't be ignored.

So yep, BT's are now a standard chapter (thankfully still not compliant) who love sanctioned psykers and only don't have librarians because of a "rare geneseed quirk".
Must be a grimdark cleanup.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.
Pages: 1 ... 274 275 [276] 277 278 ... 824