Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 265 266 [267] 268 269 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 1022356 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: Disorder Vacuum Seamen.
« Reply #3990 on: May 02, 2016, 10:11:03 am »

I personally thought it was a stretch, a dreadnought being killed by a power-pack IED, but also think it's early enough to be awesome. Pretty sure he wrote those books before Black Library even existed, and not only did he make a jungle death world which seemed terrifying and an actual danger (even sidestepping the traditional "very big plants which eat you", but had numerous people and marines get chewed up by it before snowflake guardsman comes along.

Things like that, and "turning your lasgun up to AP3" are things which niggle, but I know that those books are so damn old I have to give it more suspension of disbelief than I otherwise would.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #3991 on: May 02, 2016, 10:11:41 am »

May 3.
Dawn of War 3.
GET HYPE.
HALF LIFE 3
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3992 on: May 02, 2016, 10:16:55 am »

May 3.
Dawn of War 3.
GET HYPE.
HALF LIFE 3
Then it turns out it's just Sister of Battle/Dark Eldar character for Last Stand.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3993 on: May 02, 2016, 10:19:39 am »

I'm not getting hyped til I know who is making it. DoW 2 pretty much killed the series for me.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3994 on: May 02, 2016, 10:23:12 am »

I'm not getting hyped til I know who is making it. DoW 2 pretty much killed the series for me.
Why? Because no base building and imbecilic skirmish AI?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3995 on: May 02, 2016, 10:29:19 am »

More or less. It went from a classic open RTS to this stupid small unit gameplay with terribad AI. The phrase Real-time Tactics got introduced like it was really a replacement for RTS. Also no map making.

I didn't want my favorite IP and RTS to turn into a fucking moba but damn if they didn't try. Even the campaign missions managed to be absolute, repetitive boring shit because they recycled the same map multiple times and you were just hunting down static units (except for Angel Falls.)

I liked leveling up my guys and the occasional last stand, but MP and Skirmishes bored me to tears.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 11:25:45 am by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3996 on: May 02, 2016, 10:31:33 am »

I generally prefer DoW 2 because of the characterization. DoW 1, I can't remember a damned thing about the plot.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3997 on: May 02, 2016, 10:33:55 am »

Blobs of units which say BRUVA vs blobs of units which say WAAAGH, the game.

In all honesty, dawn of war 1 was an ok RTS, but def not the best RTS ever. The single player campaign was good because the missions and the maps were generally well designed, but the AI was pretty ehhhhhhh all around. All I had to do to win was get a good grasp of the resource points on the map, set up choke points to mow down ocasional enemy advancement, then bide my time till I had a force big enough or enough of the right troop type to rush the enemy base and wreck everything. The fact this was a valid strategy against every single AI controlled race didn't help either.

Not saying DoW2 was the greatest thing ever, mind you, but if they do return to RTS, they should really make the AI more interesting.

And ye, the plot only became relevant in DoW2, nobody cared about the plot in any DoW games, other then the fact the blood ravens are hilariously inneficient, at least :v
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3998 on: May 02, 2016, 10:36:28 am »

I generally prefer DoW 2 because of the characterization. DoW 1, I can't remember a damned thing about the plot.

What, you don't remember INDRICK BOREAL? BATTLE BRUVAHS!

The story in DoW 1 was forgettable but it wasn't what I liked about the game. Fuck off hueg 4v4 on custom maps was what it was about.

And really the flexibility of DoW 1 was totally absent in DoW 2. You couldn't make squads for a custom built purpose, you pretty much got the same generic troops for all situations. Your leaders is where all the fun and strategy was, and I fucking hate micro. Gone were tank rushes, missile squads, plasma squads. You basically just got dread rushes in DoW 2 because it was the closest you could get.

The quality of the maps too on a mechanical level worsened. Dawn of War maps vs. Company of Hero maps were slightly worse but still enjoyable to blow up. DoW 2 maps were so bad you barely noticed the impact craters. I could drill a hole through the map to hell with enough Whirlwinds and Orbital Bombardments in DoW 1. In DoW 2 I think the map deformation was so minor you couldn't notice it until you tilted the camera all the way down to look at the map at eye level, and that had zero impact on gameplay.

Even the orbital bombardment sucked balls in DoW 2 compared to 1. It was a graphical and an aesthetic upgrade but mechanically it was two steps back.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 11:28:53 am by nenjin »

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #3999 on: May 02, 2016, 10:55:52 am »

Well all DoW had some memorable characters. All the Bald Ravens, all the commanders (General Sturnn, Governor-Militant Lukas Alexander and... Vance MOTHERFUCKING Stubbs, for losing 100 fucking Baneblades and being a pansy) The Chaos guys were also quite memorable, if only due to METAL BAWKSES and SSSSSINDRIIII.

Also remember...
DAWN OF WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR!
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4000 on: May 02, 2016, 12:03:59 pm »

I personally thought it was a stretch, a dreadnought being killed by a power-pack IED, but also think it's early enough to be awesome. Pretty sure he wrote those books before Black Library even existed, and not only did he make a jungle death world which seemed terrifying and an actual danger (even sidestepping the traditional "very big plants which eat you", but had numerous people and marines get chewed up by it before snowflake guardsman comes along.
Things like that, and "turning your lasgun up to AP3" are things which niggle, but I know that those books are so damn old I have to give it more suspension of disbelief than I otherwise would.
To be fair the dreadnought was already pretty fubard, all the power-pack ied did was further expose the already-damaged sarcophagus to the rending weapon of death world cacti
Contrast that with the fully-maintained doomnaught that goes on a cheeki assassination mission

The plot was STEELH RAIN BRUVA

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4001 on: May 02, 2016, 12:11:05 pm »

Well for me both games had their issues. DoW had this darn Command and Conquer economy which I despise (ironically I do love C&C, but that's another issue), DoW2 had the ever too few small little tiny bit squads making everything around and repetitiveness...

Eventually I dreamed up of a game that combined the best aspects of both and added up more on top. Imagine if you will that DoW2 was more like Chapter Master regarding management and had a better mission selection for the campaign AND a sandbox mode. Now apply a bigger scale for the management of factions like the IG/Tyranids. Cover it up with space battles from BFGA, add resources/supply/material/manpower management at taste and put it in the oven for a few hours.

That would be pretty much THE strategy game regarding WH40k.

If you want to be picky there could be several instances of battles. For one open "field" battles (be it on a city or a literal field)  ould be more like DoW1, only at bigger scale, while there could be other kind of battles like special ops, where factions like SM and certain units would excel. So playing with the SM would mean making a lot of commandos strikes for different reasons but you shouldn't really engage in protracted battles since that's what the IG is for. As the IG you would employ tempestus forces for such attacks and so on....

I think I already posted this on games you wish where true
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4002 on: May 02, 2016, 12:47:21 pm »

A chapter master game with a DoW combat mode thingy would be pretty sweet indeed, specially if every single unit actualy mattered instead of TELEPORT IN MORE BATTLE BRUVAS FROM THAT SPECIAL MACHINE THAT TURNS RESOURCES INTO FULLY TRAINED BRUVAS

Thats the problem with DoW in regards to SM battles, both loyalist and chaotic. All they do is engage in crossfire with everyone do the same ~lol reinforce~ thing everyone does when one of them falls. It doesnt feel like commanding space marines, it feels more like controlling an imperial guard unit that has exceptionaly big boned recruits.

Thats ok for IG and tyranids, since they can actualy keep throwing their numbers at their enemy and are expected to lose a fair bit of them in every battle.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4003 on: May 02, 2016, 01:03:12 pm »

So you'd have your attrition factions (crons, guard, nids, orks, tau) and your shock factions (spehss mahrines, chaos spaehs mehreens, eldar, SOB) and then along that another axis between mech | tanky | shooty | choppy specialized factions and units, with focus on grand strategy and strategy. So you'd have your strategy battle (bruvas) and your grand strategy in choosing to secure relevant resources/protect relevant resources/deny relevant resources. Sorta like the tabletop 40k campaign tiles, only with emphasis on speshss marhines like factions protecting/harvesting gene seed or whatever and seeking more to deny attrition based factions their factories/biomass/tombs or whatever?

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4004 on: May 02, 2016, 01:30:34 pm »

Honestly, for all the failings DoW2 had it was still pretty fun, and Chaos Rising is still one of the best implemented morality systems in any game genre, where your alignment wasn't just some choice that changed some particle effects or a cutscene or two, this shit was woven into gameplay and was a really fun aspect of the game.

Then they went and made Retribution and just made one crappy campaign but with seven different skins tacked on, damn shame.

Regardless, HYPE 40k IS HAPPENING!!
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG
Pages: 1 ... 265 266 [267] 268 269 ... 824