Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 245 246 [247] 248 249 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 1023182 times)

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: Disorder Vacuum Seamen.
« Reply #3690 on: April 10, 2016, 06:14:44 pm »

Really the only question is life support. The Ork ecosystem is so circular it can survive indefinitely. But it needs oxygen to work. So if they had an oxygen source that could last 56 million years in whatever piece of crap floating through space it's installed in, Orks could make the trip.

Assuming one doesn't kill them all through Orky experimentation.
Well, It being orks and such I could see them attaching engines on one side of a small planet.
They would end up with not enough sunlight for plants thus oxygen running out soon.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3691 on: April 10, 2016, 06:20:01 pm »

What if they really believe they don't need no stinking sunlight?
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3692 on: April 10, 2016, 06:20:09 pm »

Considering Orks can survive on daemon worlds, they can probably survive the trip to the next galaxy assuming the whatever maintains the atmosphere is not broken in some fight or other.

On the warp and other galaxies: it may be possible that the warp exists outside the milky way, just not in the surrounding galaxies (which have been depopulated by the 'nids), resulting in this section of the warp being cut off. Naturally, this is all speculation... and since GW will probably never detail what is outside the milky way, we'll never know.

Really the only question is life support. The Ork ecosystem is so circular it can survive indefinitely. But it needs oxygen to work. So if they had an oxygen source that could last 56 million years in whatever piece of crap floating through space it's installed in, Orks could make the trip.

Assuming one doesn't kill them all through Orky experimentation.
Well, It being orks and such I could see them attaching engines on one side of a small planet.
They would end up with not enough sunlight for plants thus oxygen running out soon.
All they need is for a mek to make an oxygen machine from scrap and an unfortunate snotling.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3693 on: April 10, 2016, 10:17:51 pm »

I thought The Beast sent a bunch of orc ships out of the galaxy. Or 'Red' or something. Wow my ork lore needs some touching up.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #3694 on: April 11, 2016, 12:09:56 am »

The Beast is the noodle incident of 40k. He nearly wiped out Imperium, put Ork Deathstar above Terra and in general did a lot of noticeable stuff but we actually know nearly no details. It just happened.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3695 on: April 11, 2016, 12:23:16 am »

My headcannon is that the Beast is that one in a quadrillion ork who actually grew correctly and had all the designs of the Old Ones for orkids. Hence the lack of cockney and the intellect.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #3696 on: April 11, 2016, 12:32:10 am »

It was just Ghazkull doing time travel again.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3697 on: April 11, 2016, 12:33:12 am »

What would Chaos/Imperium do if Gork and Mork popped up and started Orking about in the Warp on a permanent basis by way of Thraka, by the way? Would the Eldar rather have this happen, or avoid it, considering their feelings about Orks, Chaos, and mon'keigh? What do you guys think would occur? I mean, other than Weirdboyz getting real weird, real fast.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3698 on: April 11, 2016, 12:35:24 am »

Orks seem to be essentially immune to Chaos corruption, 2e Khornate Orks notwithstanding, so it certainly would be objected to by any of the factions that hate Chaos. Or maybe not, since Chaos is also essentially reactive in nature and this would cause a whole lot of reaction.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3699 on: April 11, 2016, 01:57:00 am »

The Beast is the noodle incident of 40k. He nearly wiped out Imperium, put Ork Deathstar above Terra and in general did a lot of noticeable stuff but we actually know nearly no details. It just happened.

We'll know a lot more soon with the whole Beast series they're writing. I'm not really convinced you can make an Ork threat that interesting, but I should probs pick up the next book and find out.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ˇNo parmesan!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3700 on: April 11, 2016, 03:04:22 pm »

We'll know a lot more soon with the whole Beast series they're writing. I'm not really convinced you can make an Ork threat that interesting, but I should probs pick up the next book and find out.

I can say I was genuinely interested in the handling of the Ork threat in I Am Slaughter. There's a lot of build up to it. One might almost be disappointed that the reveal is "Orks!" but how Abnett got there in the first book was cool. Mostly because Abnett understands how to weave several events into a larger narrative so the expected still feels somewhat surprising. Most 40k authors don't know how to do interesting subplots that aren't character focused, and so just stampede toward the main theme (violence) in a way that is now so well-trodden it's beyond a cliche. Abnett is really good with distracting you with the left hand of his stories until the right hand crosses and punches you in the face.

Not sure how I feel about the rest of the series being penned by different authors. It works for the Horus Heresy but I really hope BL isn't going to make a habit of this. I think the best 40k stories arise from ownership of the story. The HH was honestly too big for one guy to handle but I think the vastly different tone and skill of each writer made for a less cohesive story overall.

--

Anyways, question for the class.

How do you think human Space Pirates in 40k deal with Warp Transit?

Two different kinds of pirates, first off:

-Scum who only hang out in their local star system using nothing but real-space travel.
-Scum who are warp travel-capable and plague several star systems, and probably keep a base somewhere nearby in the sub-sector.

I'm interested in the second group. Now, while there's any number of plausible explanations for how any one pirate ship navigates, I'm looking to define how your average space pirate gets around.

Some ideas:
-There's several rogue Houses of Navigators who sell their service to the highest bidders. Unlike Imperial Navigators they're a more mercenary breed.
-Imperial Navigators who do a small side-business in dealing with Imperial Renegades. Still it seems beneath your average legitimate Navigator House to agree to work with small time pirates.
-Rent a Chaos Sorcerer to negotiate your way through the Warp. (Seems a little extreme for your average Pirate scum.)
-A group or groups that cultivate the Navigator gene without organizing into Houses like regular Navigators do. These would essentially be high-priced mutants for sale. Maybe the mutants are enslaved or maybe they're autonomous individuals.
-Kidnapped Imperial Navigators? Not all Navigators serve on even Frigate-sized vessels, so it's not inconceivable a well-organized pirate crew could capture a freighter or cargo ship and its Navigator too.

Again, I'm just concerned with human pirates. All the other races with pirate factions in them have their own warp travel solutions. It's just human renegades who have the unique problem of still needing Navigators while not being able to utilize Imperial ones.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 03:05:56 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #3701 on: April 11, 2016, 03:15:09 pm »

Maybe they don't use navigators at all, hence why they only plague a few systems?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3702 on: April 11, 2016, 03:28:46 pm »

Most small scale warp travel is done using maps that detail the safe warp routes. When navigators pass through an area they map out the warp currents, and the stable currents get used for transit by any warp capable vessel that cannot afford a navigator of their own. If the currents change, which happens every few centuries or millenia, then navigators need to return to map out new routes. In general every system has a few points that can be warped to and from without any significant danger, which are usually used as ambush points by pirates since they function as stable shipping lanes for most normal cargo ships.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3703 on: April 11, 2016, 03:55:54 pm »

You can't jump very far doing that. Like, a day or two in the warp at most, and that's just blindly pointing your vessel into the Warp. There's not much value to Warp Route charts to non-navigators, the information they contain doesn't mean anything to regular humans other than that point A should connect to point B. The Rogue Trader core book states that traveling a day or two in the Warp without a Navigator of some kind is an option of last resort, and that's the maximal limit on safety. Deviation in the Warp can be catastrophic, so just going into the Warp with no frame or reference for Navigation is super perilous even if it's short.

So it implies most ships have a Navigator of some sort.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3704 on: April 11, 2016, 04:19:36 pm »

You can't jump very far doing that. Like, a day or two in the warp at most, and that's just blindly pointing your vessel into the Warp. There's not much value to Warp Route charts to non-navigators, the information they contain doesn't mean anything to regular humans other than that point A should connect to point B. The Rogue Trader core book states that traveling a day or two in the Warp without a Navigator of some kind is an option of last resort, and that's the maximal limit on safety. Deviation in the Warp can be catastrophic, so just going into the Warp with no frame or reference for Navigation is super perilous even if it's short.

So it implies most ships have a Navigator of some sort.

Navigator-less ships appear in the fluff from time to time. They basically do the Tau thing and travel in short bursts before stopping to make emergency repairs. The vast bulk of small time merchantmen fall under this category of inter-system traders. One features in one of the Grey Knights books. One of the old ones about Justicar Alaric. It's a dinky little vessel with no navigator or enginseer. They navigated using known warp routes, stopping often, and repaired their ship using precise instructions written for them.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.
Pages: 1 ... 245 246 [247] 248 249 ... 824