Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 235 236 [237] 238 239 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 1023771 times)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: Disorder Vacuum Seamen.
« Reply #3540 on: April 02, 2016, 06:44:47 pm »

From what I remember, unfortunately Avatars of Khaine fall prey to the Worf Effect quite a lot in fiction.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3541 on: April 02, 2016, 06:46:20 pm »

From what I remember, unfortunately Avatars of Khaine fall prey to the Worf Effect quite a lot in fiction.
To be fair, basically everything gets Worfed and counter-Worfed until you get Rock-Paper-Scissors-God-AntiGodSpray-NoIWin-NoMe power comparisons.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3542 on: April 02, 2016, 06:49:15 pm »

Eventually a legless Ultramarine with nothing but a rusty fork will defeat a Demon Primarch possessed Imperator Titan and the worf effect will be so strong the entire setting will collapse into a black hole.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3543 on: April 02, 2016, 07:26:41 pm »

Eventually a legless Ultramarine with nothing but a rusty fork will defeat a Demon Primarch possessed Imperator Titan and the worf effect will be so strong the entire setting will collapse into a black hole except for the lone Ultramarine who crawls out of the black hole with nothing but his sheer EmprahLove
FTFY
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3544 on: April 02, 2016, 07:35:33 pm »

So far I think the worst example of the Worf Effect in 40k was when Hector Rex defeated An'ggrath. Based on their stats it's basically impossible, and based on their fluff it should still be impossible.

For context Rex is a human Inquisitor and An'ggrath is the most powerful bloodthirster ever summoned into reality.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3545 on: April 02, 2016, 09:10:46 pm »

Nightbringer was fun as all hell, just running around gobbling units like it aint no business

Very cost effective in the pounds to points ratio too

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #3546 on: April 02, 2016, 09:13:31 pm »

So far I think the worst example of the Worf Effect in 40k was when Hector Rex defeated An'ggrath. Based on their stats it's basically impossible, and based on their fluff it should still be impossible.

For context Rex is a human Inquisitor and An'ggrath is the most powerful bloodthirster ever summoned into reality.
Yeah, that had to have been some sort of Tzneetchian trick or some shit. An'ggrath (his name is literally a garbled 'anger-wrath') is basically the closest thing Khorne has to a faction leader. Shouldn't be punked by some random inquisitor.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3547 on: April 02, 2016, 09:22:52 pm »

How come there's so many commissar heroes? Cain, Gaunt, and Yarrick are some examples. Are commissar hats secretly imbued with the divine will of the Emperor?
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3548 on: April 02, 2016, 10:12:19 pm »

How come there's so many commissar heroes? Cain, Gaunt, and Yarrick are some examples. Are commissar hats secretly imbued with the divine will of the Emperor?

All the others in the squad end up Blam'd at some point?

Or maybe its imperium propaganda
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3549 on: April 02, 2016, 10:19:08 pm »

Because they can get shit done, unlike everyone else who has to answer to commissars, unless they're a Space Marine or Battle Sister?

And no one ever writes Battle Sisters presumably because I don't even know if GW has any female authors on staff, and the male authors either don't want to fuck it up and be treated as the next Ward/set a poor tone, have no idea how they'd write such characters satisfactorily enough, or because they just don't like the Adeptus Sororitas.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3550 on: April 02, 2016, 10:35:07 pm »

Comissars are often considered heroes because they're just normal humans that are trained to be huge badasses and to do absurd things in absurd situations. This prob means the great majority of them die horribly, but any of them that survive for years of service prob end up being considered heroes just because of all the ridiculous situations they're always faced with. Not only do they have to keep entire regiments in line with sheer intimidation and ocasional BLAMS, but they also fight in the front lines alongside the regiments, often armed with only a bolter pistol, a chainsword and a scowl.

Now, space marines are all superhuman already, so performing at a superhuman level is expected of them. In order to be recognized as a hero among space marines, a spess mehreen needs to do things such as going toe to toe with daemons, beating the shit out of pre-heresy trair marines which are prob way more experienced and scarier then normal loyalists, etc.

Sisters of battle, while not explored upon as much as the other segments of mankind, are also pretty badass, considering they're just normal women gone through a hellish training regimen, equipped with special power armor and weapons, and some of them can even essentialy ascend into a new immortal stage of existence by chanelling the emprah's soul.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3551 on: April 02, 2016, 11:38:50 pm »

They're Political officers. Every victory is advertised.

Also those three commissars are the only ones (besides commisar-colonel Greiss) to hold a command position.
Which is technically against the rules.
Therefore big damn heroes
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3552 on: April 03, 2016, 05:03:29 am »

And no one ever writes Battle Sisters presumably because I don't even know if GW has any female authors on staff, and the male authors either don't want to fuck it up and be treated as the next Ward/set a poor tone, have no idea how they'd write such characters satisfactorily enough, or because they just don't like the Adeptus Sororitas.

There's at least one Sister of Battle novel, Faith and Fire. It's... an interesting read. Over all I'd say it's worth reading, but it's quite short. I think it might have sequels, but I've never really gone looking for any.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3553 on: April 03, 2016, 08:06:28 am »

It does have a sequel, Hammer and Anvil, and an audiobook prequel, Red and Black.

There's also the Daemonifuge series of comics about the SoB.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #3554 on: April 03, 2016, 08:17:50 am »

Also those three commissars are the only ones (besides commisar-colonel Greiss) to hold a command position.
You forgot about COMMISSAR Holt. There's also COMMISSAR LORD Bernn, though he doesn't do much in Retribution.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.
Pages: 1 ... 235 236 [237] 238 239 ... 824