Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 232 233 [234] 235 236 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 1023914 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: Disorder Vacuum Seamen.
« Reply #3495 on: March 29, 2016, 05:48:45 pm »

I dunno, the online spending limit seems (to my economically uneducated self) 'smart', although the bans seem super dumb.
But nowadays everyone is able to look at America and go 'They had another massacre; This is why ______ law works'.
Because politicians don't need to care about the differences between correlation and causality.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3496 on: March 29, 2016, 07:16:16 pm »

I think this way: I'm an adult, I have a relatively good job. I should be able to buy a simple game whenever the fuck I want. Is pretty simple and straightforward. Sadly real life rarely is.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3497 on: March 30, 2016, 04:31:11 pm »

What word is 'mon-keigh' supposed to reference, 'mankind' or 'monkey'?
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #3498 on: March 30, 2016, 04:39:22 pm »

Yes.

IIRC the name is actually a name of some other alien species that fought with Eldar before and now is just a phrase to describe any infernor race (which is basically everyone except Eldar) but it just gets used most commonly with humans because we're such monkeys to Eldar.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3499 on: March 30, 2016, 04:52:12 pm »

Yes.

IIRC the name is actually a name of some other alien species that fought with Eldar before and now is just a phrase to describe any infernor race (which is basically everyone except Eldar) but it just gets used most commonly with humans because we're such monkeys to Eldar.

Worse, we're like if monkies looked almost human to them, we're their uncanny valley and the Imperium hates them right back because they're murderous assholes ( They being both sides here)
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3500 on: March 31, 2016, 07:07:45 pm »

The crew is back in action.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Fairly proud of this adventure despite it not really being very deep. (There's more they could have dug into there but weren't going to, nor needed to.) Had some fun RPing the bartender. Was told by one of my vets it was the best vehicle combat they'd ever played in. I frankly know how loose I ran it but eh, always chasing that better GMing dragon.

Now my problem is...I gotta spend some serious time on the next leg of the campaign. At the pace things have been going I've sorta gotten lazy about thinking ahead into the future. But I honestly owe these guys an ork encounter and a whiff of their foe's trail.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 07:16:48 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3501 on: March 31, 2016, 09:10:52 pm »

You could always have them detonate sections of the street such that they collapse into the sewers (also very Innsmouth). The Eldar might be able to drive like a motherfucker, but that won't let him defy gravity. Probably.

You could always combine WITNESS ME with the Chaos vultures, either by having them be strapped themselves or huge enough to carry the humans.

If the landing pad is raised you could have them collapse it with detpacks, if not you could have Chaos vultures just swarm their craft by the dozens trying to pry off the armor and damage something important.

If you want to derail their plans you could do the above sort of things, or even just have the Yu'Vath thing create a psychic interdiction of some kind, in order to force them to blow the mine all close and personal like.

Otherwise, I might recommend the detonation of the mine setting up an eruption and then, as they're leaving, launching a small hardened craft from the fire that'll quickly move to jump out of system. If you ever did want to have them fight live Yu'Vath in the future...(and make them responsible for possibly killing everyone in the sector).
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3502 on: April 01, 2016, 04:07:24 am »

Are there female clergy?
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3503 on: April 01, 2016, 06:09:52 am »

The clergy is male. The reason for this is much like arguments against female priests today; as the Emperor was a male, male priests are closer to Him than female ones.

Or so I believe is the reason.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3504 on: April 01, 2016, 07:34:05 am »

Because if you were going to be a female clergywoman, you might as well be a canoness? Ecclesiarchy needs all the fighting women it can scrounge.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3505 on: April 01, 2016, 09:34:46 am »

Are there female clergy?

Sort of.

The Ecclesiarchy's main line of membership is composed of male priests, who tend to temples and are in charge of the Ecclesiarchy as a whole, but it has the Adepta Sororitas, which covers a large range of different callings and is run by a command chain that is detached from the authority of most of the clergy. Sororitas can be missionaries, warriors, doctors, scribes, translators, scientists and a few other roles required by the Ecclesiarchy, but do not run temples nor are they eligible for positions like Ecclesiarch. The non-militant orders of Sororitas are sometimes nearly indistinguishable from some branches of the male clergy.

From a meta perspective this is because the Ecclesiarchy is based off the middle ages/dark ages Catholic church, in which women could be nuns but not actual priests. They had duties that were much the same as monks, which is to say scribing copies of holy texts, tending to the nearby sick and the lame (depending on order) and so on, rather than tending to the spiritual needs of the common folk.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3506 on: April 01, 2016, 10:18:41 am »

Are there female clergy?
Yeah, though it will vary by planet (and in turn, by cults upon that planet)

Though if you're a woman within the Imperium of Man and you really wanted to do missionary work (burninating), purge heretics, heal pilgrims or teach the next gen commissars on how to properly operate a flamethrower you'd join one of the branches of the Adeptus Sororitas if at all available instead of the Adeptus Ministorum. The ones joining the Adeptus Ministorum would be the priests tending to the flock on home planets, whilst the military branch (which does not technically exist, even if they arm their priests making them into some paramilitary priesthood) is male, their irregular militia is mixed and their official professoinal military branch is exclusively female, so they'd want to go to that one since it offers the best equipment, training and job perks (in addition to offering the most opportunity to burninate heretics and xenos). To add to that I'm pretty certain the top brass Cardinal ranks and such are exclusively male and their militia cannot legally promote anyone, and so promotion to the top ranks within the Adeptus Ministorum would go from near-impossible (for the male clergy) to straight impossible (for the female clergy), whilst for the Adeptus Sororitas promotions happen quicker with Inquistorial collab, casualties and ascension to sainthood.
This is largely because the Ecclesiarchy is a powergaming rules layweryering organization that in response to being made illegal to hold men at arms did every bullshit loophole possible, "oh yeah those aren't men at arms they're militia, nah that one's a priest, gotta have priests with self defence tho, oh nah those are women at arms totes different" e.t.c.
Also interesting is that if the Imperium did not have need for such massive pauldrons, the Adeptus Sororitas would become dangerously close to rendering Space Marines obsolete, with the whole point of Space Marines being that they are dependent upon humanity for their survival and so much use their OP powers to maintain humanity's survival. Suppose it makes sense then that the Adep. Sor. are made up of the most fervent loyalists, so they don't use their own vast power to try and carve out a personal Empire. Also the Order Famulous is fabulous and could fuck things up so fantastically if they wanted to that it's really surprising that it hasn't happened to the Imperium yet, what with an order focused on pruning the nobles of the Imperium and checking their geneologies with zealousness that would make a Han Scion blush

*EDIT
I also see a missed opportunity to have a civil war of the Rose orders

*EDITx2
A while ago it popped up why the Adeptus Sororitas all had white hair, and we all wondered whether it was because hair dye or the sisters were just incredibly old veterans having been given rejuvenat treatments but no hair dye due to supply issues

Yeah nah turns out it's just one order, the Order of the Martyred Lady - and they do indeed dye their hair white, and their order is the poster child of the Adeptus Sororitas as a whole same way Ultramarines are for Speshss Mahrines
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 10:26:23 am by Loud Whispers »

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3507 on: April 01, 2016, 10:25:54 am »

The Imperium isn't as sexist as middle age societies so I'm sure you could find at least some female religious figures in some planets out there. We're simply having selection bias because neither clergy nor females tend to be developed in stories.

For example, in the Rogue Trader rulebooks, I don't recall any gender restriction for the missionaries.

I'll never have the occasion to explore this anyway, because my group is very very not religious. They even blasted missionaries into dust, and that'll bite them in the ass very soon.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 10:27:34 am by Boltgun »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3508 on: April 01, 2016, 10:29:13 am »

The Imperium isn't as sexist as middle age societies so I'm sure you could find at least some female religious figures in some planets out there. We're simply having selection bias because neither clergy nor females tend to be developed in stories.
For example, in the Rogue Trader rulebooks, I don't recall any gender restriction for the missionaries.
Yeah yeah, definitely, I have also read some BL book where there's a female priest tending to a flock of mutants in the underhive that I'm trying to remember now... But certainly for the Adeptus Ministorum in particular (excluding the Sororitas), I think it's one of those things where in theory it shouldn't be impossible for a female to become Arch-Deacon or Cardinal but in practice they don't, with the talent recruited by the Sororitas

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3509 on: April 01, 2016, 10:53:24 am »

Playing an Apoc game.
For once nobody was taking superheavies. Even token power gamer roomate was giving the whole "not actually gonna field a wraithknight this time".
Just saw his list. Wraithknight.
It's almost like he planned to bait us out of taking superheavy killers.
Pages: 1 ... 232 233 [234] 235 236 ... 824