Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 182 183 [184] 185 186 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 1021311 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: Disorder Vacuum Seamen.
« Reply #2745 on: January 25, 2016, 03:06:53 pm »

You may have worked hard on it, but you didn't ramrod it through google translate into Latin like I did with French in the DPRK thread.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2746 on: January 25, 2016, 03:08:09 pm »

Let's try to stay above the level of the average 4-chan post here, shall we? Some light banter is ok, but let's try not to memeplex this thread into oblivion if we can.

In vaguely related news, are any of you excited about the Battlefleet Gothic game coming out in a month or two?

I waited aeons for that...   
In black void  of SPACE nobody can hear you scream FOR THE EMPEROR, but you dont care, as you are in GIANT SPACE GOTHIC CATHEDRAL WITH VOIDSHIELDS,
Dark prayers of heretics turn into cries for mercy, and their foul dark gods stop laughing, as GIANT RAM shaped as  GOLDEN EAGLE covered with BEST QUOTES OF THE EMPEROR smashes them in HALF.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2747 on: January 25, 2016, 04:36:54 pm »

All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2748 on: January 25, 2016, 11:19:04 pm »

Tau stealth tech is still detectable, and only found on a small number of their units. That and being invisible doesn't help when the enemy has enough men to literally drown you in blood and corpses if they want to and enough artillery to turn night into day. The Tau just get ground down by the sledgehammer that is the guard while their leadership gets taken out in precision strikes by Space Marines. Most fights the Tau have 'won' is just because the Imperium had to go deal with something that's actually a threat, like Chaos, Orks or Tyranids. It's important to remember that thought Tau tech is slightly better than the Imperium's, it's still behind the Dark Age of Technology relics the Imperium possess and the Tau empire is only about a hundred worlds in size compared to the millions of worlds in the Imperium.

The Imperium has destroyed a few Tau worlds in the 2nd and 3rd expansions of the Tau empire, but it usually doesn't bother. Tau worlds can be reclaimed just fine unlike those of Chaos or Orks, so exterminatus is usually only done to them to deny the Tau ground and destroy any military assets they have present. As for genociding the Eldar Craftworlds... I think the Imperium killed one, and lost most a segmentum fleet to do so. It's one of the hardest tasks in the Galaxy and since Eldar are usually peaceful enough to ignore it's not a common thing. Especially since the other Craftworlds will destroy a hundred humans worlds in revenge.
I will say that this is only partially accurate. Most wars the Tau have won are because the Imperium had to go fuck off and fight other stuff.

Important thing to remember is that the Imperium is large enough that if it could focus on any one faction it could probably wipe it out, save maybe 'Nids and Chaos. The whole teetering back and forth on the edge of collapse and 'you only won because we had to fight someone else' is a fair chunk of the point. Tau tech is fairly better than the Imperium's, it's not Eldar or anywhere near it, of course, but Pulse Rifles are a step or five up from lasguns (wouldn't actually matter if Imperium was well-organized, don't get me wrong, numbers/experience advantage is big). Real advantage is their organization, efficiency, and willingness to innovate, really. AX-10 Tigersharks are a very cheap counter to Titans, relative to the value of their targets. No, not perfect, need support, etc., but so does their newest 'actual' Titan (On the one hand, yay Tau Artillery finally. On the other hand...blugh...at least there's a fairly decent fluff reason for it that I won't go into here), like all things that can really kill Titans.

The description of the way the fights go is an...acceptable description, I suppose, of the way the Damocles Crusade went? I mean, just having stealth tech doesn't mean shit, I agree, it's not the end-all-be-all 'advantage' for the Tau in this mismatched fight. But Taros Campaign shows a pretty good example of the way Tau like to fight. And how it goes when they can't fight that way. Really, Imperials and Tau are tailor-made for each other (and if no one can see allegories to Great Crusade Humanity then I am disappoint in all of you, and so would the Emperor. Been wanting to detail that for a while.); Guard like to take and hold ground, and could give a rip about the casualties they take in the process; Tau are perfectly fine with letting you have the ground, they just want to slaughter you. The Tau also have precision strike units, and they also strike at leadership when they can. Just like the Space Marines, they use them for cutting supply lines and attacking key points, rather than just 'kill leaders do it go'.

Tau tech is getting better all the time (plus how many Dark Age relics can the Imperium spare?). And they can produce more of it. Of course, Tyranids mean they'll never get a chance, and if no Tyranids, then Imperium would have the energy to deal with them and make sure they didn't become more of an issue. But hypothetically, Tau could very well become a threat. Or get ripped apart by Chaos insurrections/Tau of Iron/'Hey Look Administering large swathes of space is hard' disease. Depends how you look at it. They are growing at more or less an exponential rate, after all, last I read. With all the other shit the Imperium has to deal with, once they got to about a thousand worlds they could very well spell Serious Difficulties, depending on tech level at the time. We'll never find out, of course, because this is 40k.

What I originally came to talk about was my wondering about what would happen if the Imperium started winning. Like, sweeping reforms to get administratum properly efficient and organized, Warp calms down for who knows reason (Actual Reason: Slaanesh killed the Dark Eldar in a murder-orgy when they were a few seconds late in the torture rites; she's not temporarily contented, and this angers Khorne. Also they're all having fun crucifying Abaddon for fucking up one too many times in the eyes of his fickle Dark Lords; aka they got distracted), and yes I know Chaos would never calm down and blah in canon that's not the point. They find a cache of real nice STCs, and trickle-down effect...Imperium is on the brink of collapse. In a way, this means they are also on the brink of stability. If things stop going wrong all the time, for once (aka Chaos stops dicking around in things), and a couple of things go the Imperium's way, like the big Ork WAAAGH and the Tyranid Hive Fleet actually exhausting each other enough that the Imperium can step in and clean up if it has the manpower, then they can start pushing back the tide. Maybe they find a way to deal with Necrons more effectively, or it turns out the rest of the Tomb Worlds had some errors in the millenia they've laid undisturbed. Tyranids turn out to not be the harbingers of Doom, DOOM, and MORE DOOM OH EMPEROR THE HORROR, and are actually a desperate Hive Mind after millenia without sustenance trying to get big enough to get to the next galaxy. Still big, tho. Just not THE SIZE OF THE GALAXY big. Orks just require liberal application of Orbital Bombardment and Heavy Flamers, Eldar will stop dicking around once they don't foresee bullshit fucking with their Craftworlds (yes I understand them not dicking around for the sake of dicking around is the most unbelievable part of this idea stick with me here tho). Imperium starts pushing back shit. Really helps when entire regiments don't fuck off into chaos all the damn time, and you can afford to synchronize commands a bit better. Mebbe Marneus Calgar comes awake enough to say 'stop being lone wolf dickheads, all Space Marines', before finally dying, redemption achieved. Honestly, only a few of these are really needed, only real vital one is Chaos deciding to take a break for a bit.

And I don't mean Emps getting up or dying and becoming Starkin or anything, or Leman Russ popping in to help, I just mean the ball starts rolling the other way. Tau get obliterated just as soon as the men can be spared for it. Orks get crushed and burned out of their nests, kept contained in other places, proper Machine God hygiene rituals followed. Necrons start being destroyed once sufficient men/Cyclonic torpedoes are thrown at them (The Flayed One were satisfied and went home, you see). Guard Regiments can start being used properly, in truly overwhelming numbers. Nids get fought off, always at great cost but not always as great as you'd think. Imperium gets back to status as Big Boys In The Playground, With More Than Enough Sticks To Hit All Of You.

My question is what happens after that? How does it start to fall apart from within, even without Chaos, once it's basic driving motivator of 'fight for our existence as a species' is no longer quite accurate? Xenos are dealt with as much as they can be. Chaos worlds that we can destroy are being destroyed, the rest we're staying away from instead of losing Chapters for no reason until we can afford to spare them. Only generic traitors are left.

Empires fall once they get comfy. So how would the pieces crumble, from the inside (saying they get lazy and then Chaos wakes up or xenos start breaking shit defeats the point of this), once the Imperium could afford some decadence, do ou think?
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2749 on: January 25, 2016, 11:24:48 pm »

Speaking of Abaddon, I'd like to take a moment to show you all this amazing ADB piece on his motivations. It's amazing, and really makes me want more Abaddon in this vein after all the failure and arm loss.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2750 on: January 26, 2016, 12:08:25 am »

Talon of Horus is pretty good.

But TBH the Abaddon of the Crusades is quite a bit different. Way surlier. Definitely not a super genius. Talon of Horus makes him out to be King Shit of Poop Mountain, and it's a good read. But kind of jarring coming from the sulky, mean-spirited, bloodthirsty Abaddon of the Heresy. Of course the Heresy and thousands of years changed him but, I didn't really see the thread there.

It's too bad the post-heresy Abaddon wasn't in the pre-heresy, he would have been way more badass instead of pretty much just a thug.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2751 on: January 26, 2016, 12:11:06 am »

-snip-

Everyone always forgets the cetniks and the shqipere.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2752 on: January 26, 2016, 12:32:31 am »

I'm not really getting "super-genius" from that though. What interests me about that is that he's a kindof-man who has a thirst to match any Daemon Prince or Primarch...but for once, it's for something that not even the Ruinous Powers can give him.
No Gods, No Masters.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2753 on: January 26, 2016, 02:00:48 am »

It comes out in the book. Abaddon has shit planned in meticulous detail, his knowledge base goes from "crushing skulls" to Primarch-esqe levels of aptitude. Granted, it takes a few thousand years but like I said, it was just hard to square when I read it.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2754 on: January 26, 2016, 02:03:25 am »

To be fair, he might also be the clone/reincarnation of Horus instead of just his weirdly-kind-of-fetishistic genome-son like the rest of the Black Legion.
No Gods, No Masters.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2755 on: January 26, 2016, 05:21:21 am »

Speaking of Abaddon, I'd like to take a moment to show you all this amazing ADB piece on his motivations. It's amazing, and really makes me want more Abaddon in this vein after all the failure and arm loss.

ADB is my favorite Black Library writer for a reason.  :D

His stuff is pretty fantastic.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2756 on: January 26, 2016, 05:51:53 am »

Never read any Bowden.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2757 on: January 26, 2016, 05:57:10 am »

Never read any Bowden.

I recommend the Night Lords books. I have the Omnibus and it's a stunning read.

The guy even made Huron Blackheart interesting to me. I normally hate Huron!
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2759 on: January 26, 2016, 10:28:31 am »

Imperium is best place to live.
Pages: 1 ... 182 183 [184] 185 186 ... 824