Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 1030211 times)

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: Damned Immateriums, how do they work?
« Reply #1065 on: June 02, 2015, 04:39:44 am »

I... have no problem with just ignoring that 40% statistic, wherever it's from. I'm all for internal consistency, but it's just one random contradiction I've never seen anywhere else. Let it go! Forgive and forget! Stick to the main canon, not the outliers. Looking to rationalize and make things internally consistent within a setting can be really fun, but, like... in this case? How is this discussion still going on.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: June 02, 2015, 06:17:58 am »

I... have no problem with just ignoring that 40% statistic, wherever it's from. I'm all for internal consistency, but it's just one random contradiction I've never seen anywhere else. Let it go! Forgive and forget! Stick to the main canon, not the outliers. Looking to rationalize and make things internally consistent within a setting can be really fun, but, like... in this case? How is this discussion still going on.
Srs bzns is srs.

quamzie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: June 02, 2015, 06:36:40 am »

The flaws in space marines genetics were intended by the emperor, like in the thunder warriors?

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: June 02, 2015, 07:46:51 am »

The flaws in space marines genetics were intended by the emperor, like in the thunder warriors?
]\
what flaws? Heresy!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: June 02, 2015, 08:02:40 am »

The thunder warriors were just made to be super badass at fighting, and due to that, they would be unable to live during peace and would cause trouble, kinda like veteran soldiers that suffer from psychological problems after returning from specialy harsh wars, like vietnam, after knowing only war for a long time. So the emprah designed them to have short lives, which didn't stop him from mass executing them after the imperium got formed.

The space marines are meant to be long standing forces that would defend the imperium both in war and peace, but its hard to say. Maybe some legions were made only for combat, and not peace? I mean, angron's, curze's, mortarion's and perturabo's legions were obviously all made for war/conflict periods, and as someone else mentioned previously, they were coincidentaly the legions that got dealt the worst hands. Curze was clairvoyant and could see that, in the future, the emperor would kill him (altough its debatable wether this was an actual vision or an illusion created by chaos).

So maybe yea, the emprah maybe engineered their flaws as well, and perhaps some legions weren't made to last once peace was achieved, but this still doesnt explain why the primarchs and legions that were most favoured by the emperor also suffered from major flaws, even sanguinius and the blood angels.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 08:09:16 am by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: June 02, 2015, 08:05:56 am »

Well, Emps did use chaotic means. And they all developed independently rather than in the controlled conditions the Emps would have wanted, so they would have developed independently.

Maybe he just made a mistake. He did make several, after all.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: June 02, 2015, 08:09:23 am »

They didn't get mass executed. They all died in battle, in the last battles for Terra if I remember right.

The Emperor was a dick who fucked up a lot, but he wasn't that much of a dick.

Speaking of outliers, how about them Space Marine Landing Crafts? Orbit to landing in 30 seconds. So much bullshit.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: June 02, 2015, 08:10:17 am »

Whats weird is that some of the traitor legions had no specific or at least known genetic flaws, like the world bearers, whose only flaw was apparently being religious zealots and overly fervorous.

EDIT: unrelated to the previous post, but reading up on bits of the HH novels, apparently the council of nikea was sabotaged by chaos through a tzeentch scheme that tricked the space wolves into suspecting and hating the thousand sons, causing the imperium to ban librarians and most sorts of psykery. Which, of course, allowed lorgar to offer his chaplains to take on the role the librarians previously occupied, further propagating corruption among the legions. The HH was very well orchestrated, and magnus and the thousand sons got the shortest stick of them all. Its no wonder he hates tzeentch, and probably only still "serves" him because tzeentch took his soul when magnus asked for a way to warn the emperor about the heresy.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 08:23:35 am by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: June 02, 2015, 08:27:17 am »

Lorgar and Horus didn't have genetic flaws, only the circumstances and events from the universe. Yet both of them more or less started the Heresy. The Primarchs with all the defects were just easily assimilated.

Edit: I don't think Angron had genetic flaws. I think it was some sort of machine they put in his brain.
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: June 02, 2015, 08:34:07 am »

They didn't get mass executed. They all died in battle, in the last battles for Terra if I remember right.

The Emperor was a dick who fucked up a lot, but he wasn't that much of a dick.

Someone's drinking the Imperial Kool Aide. It's confirmed that the 'they died in battle' story was just the Emps propaganda. He executed the surviving thunder warriors after Ararat.

Which, you know, makes a large amount of sense. They weren't soldiers; thunder warriors as they're depicted are killing machines that function largely autonomously on the battlefield. With the war over, they couldn't really be put to another use, just serve as a potential rebellion.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: June 02, 2015, 08:41:53 am »

They could fight in all the other battles in the Great Crusade.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: June 02, 2015, 08:46:12 am »

One of the necron lords, the one that is obsessed about collecting priceless artifacts, has a "giant man wearing baroque power armor" among his collection. This is probably the last surviving thunder warrior, since they're described as being larger than even space marines.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1077 on: June 02, 2015, 08:53:15 am »

One of the necron lords, the one that is obsessed about collecting priceless artifacts, has a "giant man wearing baroque power armor" among his collection. This is probably the last surviving thunder warrior, since they're described as being larger than even space marines.
Nope, it's just chuck testa

Or a primarch

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: June 02, 2015, 08:57:13 am »

IIRC, the whole stuff on the thunder warriors being executed and the actual survivors is described on the Outcast Dead novel.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: June 02, 2015, 08:59:41 am »

Thunder Warriors

It's actually said in the HH Novels that the Emperor didn't quite have the formula right when he made Thunder Warriors. They were really stronk! but they also had limited life spans. Their bodies just tended to fall apart after a certain point. Thunder Warriors were fine for conquering Terra, but they weren't up to snuff for conquering the galaxy in a multi-century crusade. So he made the Astartes.

Someone's drinking the Imperial Kool Aide. It's confirmed that the 'they died in battle' story was just the Emps propaganda. He executed the surviving thunder warriors after Ararat.

And yet, there was still a living Thunder Warrior long, long after Ararat. Did the Emperor just ignore this one Thunder Warrior? I'm not saying you're wrong, but there's evidence to contradict your assertion. As TempAcc points out.

Lorgar and Horus didn't have genetic flaws, only the circumstances and events from the universe.

I thought it was pretty common belief that personality flaws in the primarchs are still genetic flaws, one way or another. Like even if Lorgar hadn't landed on Colchis, or been affected by the Warp, he'd still be a God-Botherer because it's literally in his DNA to be so.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 824