Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 1027436 times)

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

He's really great (as are all staff wielding sorcerers) if you roll Iron Arm on Biomancy, WS5 S9 AP2 I5 attacks? Yes please.

I've heard tales of him beating combat beast characters and Imperial Knights to death with his staff, which is just hilarious.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Are there some races that get more benefit from "lower" or "higher" allowance games then others?

Sorry I don't know what the points to field units are called...

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I know literally nothing about the tabletop but how good is an army with nothing (save a commander or something) but IG troops with lasguns?
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile

I know literally nothing about the tabletop but how good is an army with nothing (save a commander or something) but IG troops with lasguns?

I don't play tabletop either, but IG's strength is the vehicles (from Dawn of War, at least).
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

More or less screwed against any sort of sophisticated force makeup. Lasguns are the most common weapon, completely ineffectual against anything tougher than a Space Marine. Massed fire against other rank 'n file meat grinder troops, you can drop some guys with the weight of numbers. But as was said, IG real strength is in their vehicles and support weaponry.

Spoiler: My old 40k knowledge (click to show/hide)
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Jeshin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

https://www.youtube.com/user/VaultsOfTerra

The Vaults of Terra. Great source of general lore for the uninitiated and it helps that he has a very dry voice. Lends an official sounding tone to the videos.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile

Spoiler: My old 40k knowledge (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: New 40k Knowledge (click to show/hide)

Point being, the Shooty Guard Army of Doom was originally pretty freaking sweet.
But seeing as the basic guardsman special weapon (Grenade launchers or Plasmaguns) can only hope to kill vehicles with AV (Armor Value) as low as 12 and 13 respectively.
Time was that 12-13 was the standard toughness of armor, with 13 being on the very heavy tanks and 14 only being on the 'Big ones' - Landraider etc.
Now that 14-all-round walkers and the like are out, not so much.

So, it's possibly the BEST points-cost infantry-killing army in the book.
But if they bring a single vehicle, you're cooked. People try to tailor their list to 'one size fits all', not 'I'm gonna take this army and REALLY fuck over Craig this time'.
Unless Craig brought Imperial Knights or Wraithknights. Because Craig's a dick. Fuck you, Craig.

Edit:
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 03:14:57 am by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile

Damn it I really feel like playing 40k now, not sure why.

Doesn't help that I don't have the cash nor the time to start anything.

Tho I've been collecting some mini's from the local hobby stores' paint school classes. Have two marines and an elf so far. The last marine I'm especially proud of since I played around with more colours and weathering and whatnot, he turned out really nice, might post some pics once I get something that can capture the details properly.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile

There's this thing called tabletop simulator that allows you to play any kind of tabletop game. I'm pretty sure you can play 40k on it. Not sure if there are models for 40k though. GW would probably exterminatus (read: sue) whoever did. We can always make private models though.
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile

Yeah but I think I'm wanting to paint and build them more than anything. Playing would be a neat side effect I guess X)
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile

It was in fact and I think is still active. Can't remember for the life of me the name. Also it had a battlefleet Gothic mod.

EDIT: Vassal!!!!!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 06:46:08 am by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

-snip-
Don't forget flier cheese

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Knights aren't really a problem, they're big and hard to kill but they're one of those units that either wins massively or fails outright depending on the army they're up against. The right mix of units and weapons pretty much annihilates them, for example space marine alpha strikes, but the wrong mix bounces off them and gets stomped. They used to be useless against fliers, but I think that two of their variants now have guns that can actually damage fliers, which means they're less at risk of being shot in the back by vendettas or storm(variant)s. Yet to see how that will affect tournaments.

Most armies have some sort of analogue to the knights now anyway. They aren't all good, but they exist.

From what I've seen of tournament lists most Imperial armies field one or two knights or the Adamantium Lance formation, but nids often just field nothing but fliers, Eldar have their Wraithknights, Dark Eldar have the Eldar's Wraithknights  :P , Tau have a metric tonne of mobile antitank that can get in close and melt superheavies from several directions.

Orks have stompas, which I'm told aren't great compared to the other superheavies, Chaos Daemons and Chaos Marines have the Lord of Skulls, which is terrible and should be ignored in favour of Bloodthirsters of Insensate Rage, which have really good odds of killing any superheavy/gargantuan they fight but will die in the process.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

... I miss oldschool 40k.

I dunno. Sometimes I like Hero Hammer, sometimes I appreciate the infantry-bent of later editions.

It's why we've cooked up like two or three different homebrew rulesets for 40k.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile

Yeah but I think I'm wanting to paint and build them more than anything. Playing would be a neat side effect I guess X)

I am the only one of my friends who is like this. They're all about making competitive lists and going out to buy the latest bit of overpowered plastic.
Meanwhile I sit here with my commander I made a name for and that army I whipped up a custom color scheme for just 'cos.
Everyone wants to play with their basecoated models or bases. But nobody wants to paint with me.

Most armies have some sort of analogue to the knights now anyway.
The issue here being that this is a solution to a problem which Shouldn't have Happened.

The right mix of units and weapons pretty much annihilates them, but the wrong mix bounces off them and gets stomped.
... That's a pretty interesting concept. If I could paraphrase for a moment:
The only lists which Might threaten them are ones particularly tailored towards killing Knights, which will get stomped by any player who brings an all-rounder army. Turning a massive sprawling strategy game into a game of scissors, paper, cheese.

If you want to use the points cost to make a devestator squad of Multi-meltas with a drop-pod,  go ahead. 4 5 shots, 2/3 chance of a hit, ~13% chance of a glance, ~60% chance of a pen, 1/3 chance of getting 'Explodes' result. (It has 6HP, so you're not killing it turn one if you don't.)
Someone else can go ahead and grind that into a figure, but meanwhile I'll just sit here sipping iced tea and saying 'Good luck against that Eldar list though' and 'Boy I hope that was worth it's points cost before you get shot charged and stomped by that OTHER Imperial Knight.

I haven't been riled up by anything on this board for years, but mention Imp Knights in the same sentence as 'Balanced' and I'mma come at you.

Don't forget flier cheese

Fliers have forced people to put anti-flier units in their list and that's about it.
Maybe they should've stayed in apocalypse too... I dunno.
But I think if they were worked better, they'd work a lot like cavalry in other strategy games. They come in late, they usually flank wide, and the entire battle generally hinges on who can eliminate the enemy's cavalry/anti-cavalry soonest.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 04:47:58 pm by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 824