Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 1024087 times)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion: checking dates is for squares edition.
« Reply #285 on: April 16, 2015, 06:53:48 pm »

Slaanesh has no particular battlecry, nor do Tzeentch or Nurgle. Some of their mortal servants have battlecries, but none as ubiquitous as 'Skulls for the Skull Throne!'

I am fond of Dawn of War 2's 'This quiet offends Slaanesh' as a battlecry for noise marines though.

THINGS WILL GET LOUD NOW!
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: April 16, 2015, 08:18:52 pm »

Actually, The Thousand Sons have "All is dust" as their 'warcry'.
So that's Tzeench taken care of, seeing as his posterboys are pretty much the only active worshipping marines.

Disclaimer- 6th ed actually released a second Thousand Sons army who is full of insane marines. Apparently the chapter master wished for the 'ability to hear lies', so Tzeench (who was passing by) decided to give him the ability to hear all lies. Everywhere.
Constantly.

So yeah they're all crazy.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: April 16, 2015, 08:26:59 pm »

Actually, The Thousand Sons have "All is dust" as their 'warcry'.
So that's Tzeench taken care of, seeing as his posterboys are pretty much the only active worshipping marines.

Not really. That battlecry is highly specific to the Thousand Sons and their history, and isn't generally extensible to most if any of Tzeentech's other followers. "All is dust" doesn't even really extol Tzeentch's ideals. He's not about fatalism and finality. He's about eternal change and the weave of fate.

Not heavy metal?

I think Heavy Metal tends to be about anger and exploring your inner darkness. Slaanesh is all about experiencing things at their zenith, always striving for that next level of sensation. If you've ever been to a rave where people are doing a lot of drugs, it evokes that image, just people wildly out of control looking for the next high, sweaty bodies, throbbing base notes...

Plus lots of people consider techno noise for its own sake anyways :P You can probably make the argument for any type of extreme music being representative of Slaanesh in some way. For me it's just techno.

Slaanesh has no particular battlecry, nor do Tzeentch or Nurgle. Some of their mortal servants have battlecries, but none as ubiquitous as 'Skulls for the Skull Throne!'

My friend who is also pretty deep into 40k lore had the take on it that, Khorne is really the only Chaos God of War. He's the patron deity of all warriors who don't worship the other Chaos gods. None of the other gods really take the aspect of the warrior besides him. Tzeentch is a scheming sorcerer, Slaanesh is a sensualist pervert and Nurgle is a fatherly primal force of nature. So it makes sense that of all the servants of Chaos, only one group has a unified battlecry when they go to war. Other Chaos Gods may have warriors, but their warriors don't server the God of War.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 08:31:16 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: April 16, 2015, 11:06:58 pm »

Not heavy metal?

I think Heavy Metal tends to be about anger and exploring your inner darkness.

The genre also has lots of songs about drug abuse and promiscuous and/or deviant sex (have you ever listened to anything by GWAR? They're one of the better examples of this, all their songs have names like "Fucking An Animal", and "Fishfuck" and "Preschool Prostitute" and "Lust in Space" and "Pussy Planet" and "Jagermonster" and "Back in Crack" and "Nitro-Burning Funny-Bong", and that's just the titles, the lyrics are even more messed up and explicit)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 11:14:34 pm by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: April 17, 2015, 04:58:01 am »

Disclaimer- 6th ed actually released a second Thousand Sons army who is full of insane marines. Apparently the chapter master wished for the 'ability to hear lies', so Tzeench (who was passing by) decided to give him the ability to hear all lies. Everywhere.
Constantly.

So yeah they're all crazy.

The Scourged have been around since the 4th ed codex.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: April 17, 2015, 07:48:34 am »

Plus lots of people consider techno noise for its own sake anyways :P You can probably make the argument for any type of extreme music being representative of Slaanesh in some way. For me it's just techno.

Why not actual noise? That always seemed like the thing noise marines would do, except its an actual genre IRL. Techno has too much rhythm and is too organized for chaos :P
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: April 17, 2015, 08:43:48 am »

The Scourged.

Well goddamn it. If I'd known of them back when I started I would've taken them as my army.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: April 17, 2015, 09:03:15 am »

Why not actual noise? That always seemed like the thing noise marines would do, except its an actual genre IRL. Techno has too much rhythm and is too organized for chaos :P

I think it could go either way. Pure noise or just more extreme forms of music. (I recall one Horus Heresy story about a Slaaneshi composer who created a symphony out of people screaming.)
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: April 19, 2015, 04:47:38 am »

This might seem like the most off-topic stupid shit I've ever posted on the internet, and that's saying something significant for me, but ... I think Calvin Harris is secretly an Ork.
I mean, just listen to the lyrics of this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGghkjpNCQ8

I feel so close to you right now it's a force field
Clearly referencing the WAAAAGH!

I wear my heart up on my sleeve like a big deal
Nothing orkier than ripping out your heart to use as a decoration for your shirt

And there's no stopping us right now
'Ere we go ladz

your love bears down on me surrounds me like a waterfall
The closest equivalent to love for an Ork is the WAAGH! field.

It all makes sense. The Orks have hijacked pop culture. I'm not crazy, I'm just ahead of the curve! You'll all see soon when his spores start growing underground!
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: April 19, 2015, 04:52:50 am »

Yes, of course. Of course the orks would invade our culture through sappy pop songs. It all comes together now! They influence those people into writing horribly cheesy lyrics to enrage us so "ta' hav a betta' figt once tem all riled up!"

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: April 19, 2015, 05:11:17 am »

It even makes sense looking at the music videos of some of his other songs. 'Summer' is about Ork speed freakz, and 'Sweet Nothing' is a collaboration he did with an Eldar - he made the video primarily a fight scene so as to not bore his audience.
Sig! Onol

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: April 19, 2015, 05:18:08 am »

This is a thing? Wow. Slaanesh has an official cult on Earth already.
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: April 19, 2015, 05:18:24 am »

It even makes sense looking at the music videos of some of his other songs. 'Summer' is about Ork speed freakz, and 'Sweet Nothing' is a collaboration he did with an Eldar - he made the video primarily a fight scene so as to not bore his audience.

Evidently, Calvin Harris must be purged.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: April 19, 2015, 05:20:40 am »

I formally declare Exterminatus on ... where's this guy live anyway? Should I just nuke the US apart from piecewise's house?
Sig! Onol

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: April 19, 2015, 05:26:24 am »

I formally declare Exterminatus on ... where's this guy live anyway? Should I just nuke the US apart from piecewise's house?

Nah, go ahead, he lives in Vegas, and I'm pretty sure cockroaches survive nuclear holocaust.

((Sorry pw))

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 824