Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 1023746 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Necropolis
One of my favourite authorial sieges of all time has to come from Simon Scarrow, during one of the books [I can't quite remember which] there is a chapter where the Romans lay siege to a British hill fort; it is amazingly done. Necropolis takes that intricate detail and cinematic quality of that one hill fort siege, amplifies it to a level that for once deserves to be called epic and has it take place for the entirety of the novel.

Honestly you don't even have to care for 40k to appreciate it.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

Sadly, I don't think any of the other Gaunt novels reach the level of Necropolis. The rest are good, surely, in their various settings. But nothing comes close the intricate detail of the Siege of Vevrunhive. And I've yet to read something else by another author that reaches his level of execution.

The one thing that I think really sets Abnett apart from his 40k contemporaries is he doesn't repeat himself a lot. Tons of Imperial fiction is filled with a lot of slogans and phrases that get beaten to death. Abnett keeps those short and sweet. "And they shall know no fear" "...but the Emperor was his shield so..." "...his rage and hatred of the foul xenos let him...." "But because of his two heart and three lungs, a gift from the geneseed implanted in his...", those lines and their like get abused by most 40k authors. Abnett uses that stuff sparingly, and it makes his novels an entire notch above the rest of the Black Library. He's usually moving the story forward with interesting ideas and characters instead of relying on the usual typecasts.

Which is why I love the Horus Heresy novels. None of that Imperial claptrap exists yet, so it's forcing authors to think outside of the box, use different vocabulary, rely on different tropes. It starts to read like genuine sci-fi again instead of the blowhard grimdark Imperialism of today that they've so artfully created.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 06:30:11 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile

Well, he certainly doesn't want to be that heroic badass. I see him as a coward badass that has no luck on staying out of action and has the luck to go through it alive. It is inconsistent (but what in 40K isn't?), but even that inconsistency is coherent in 40K, I mean, it's supposed to be memories and tales heavily changed/censured/altered what we are reading.

Plus it's implied that Cain is often way too hard on himself. As in, when he actually rises up to the occasion and becomes the hero he's rumored to be, he gives some sort of excuse for it so he can contextualize to himself his bravery with his own pragmatic/lazy/cowardly side.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It recently came to my attention that there is a new 40K game: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warhammer_40,000:_Storm_of_Vengeance
It... Appears to be pretty shite :/

In better news, it seems this one is better, and free to boot!
http://toucharcade.com/2014/10/31/warhammer-40000-space-wolf-review/

Anyone of you 40K nuts played any of these yet?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Storm of Vengeance is a garbage lane pushing game ala Plants vs. Zombies. It is 40k in styling only.

Space Wolf though, I've never heard of. Will have to give it a look.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

And before I forget: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JjaYW5Cnr5k

New trailer for The Lord Inquisitor. Looks good!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

And before I forget: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JjaYW5Cnr5k

New trailer for The Lord Inquisitor. Looks good!
The Grey Knight is pretty damn respectable here, the Inquisitor guys did a damn good job on just the trailer alone.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile

Woa that sures look good!
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So my friend got it into his head to 40k-ify one of my photos.

Spoiler: Lord Inquisitor Nenjin (click to show/hide)

Came out pretty amazing I think. Although apparently that's Sylvester Stalone's neck :P

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So my friend got it into his head to 40k-ify one of my photos.

Spoiler: Lord Inquisitor Nenjin (click to show/hide)

Came out pretty amazing I think. Although apparently that's Sylvester Stalone's neck :P

That is indeed quite cool! Can't really see your face that well, but who needs faces when we have stylish black 'n white?

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40,000 discussion thread
« Reply #130 on: November 15, 2014, 03:02:54 pm »

Oh it wasn't that bad. Wasn't honestly any worse than some of the cutscenes for the game. I think for a first actual attempt at 40k movie, it was ok. Hammy as shit, but ok.

Well possibly the first time someone intentionally make a Warhammer 40k movie. There was also the 1997 movie Event Horizon which was effectively a prequel to Warhammer 40k, despite not being officially affiliated with it

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 03:09:20 pm by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Event Horizon is like, one of my favorite movies. It's gotten some flack for being a B movie, but I think it's great. Although I've always thought the comparisons to 40k were a little tenuous.

Mmmmm, have tried my hand at some 40k fiction before, and with the story already mapped out, maybe I'll take a crack at writing this :P
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 03:40:54 pm by nenjin »

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40,000 discussion thread
« Reply #132 on: November 15, 2014, 03:21:24 pm »

Oh it wasn't that bad. Wasn't honestly any worse than some of the cutscenes for the game. I think for a first actual attempt at 40k movie, it was ok. Hammy as shit, but ok.

Well possibly the first time someone intentionally make a Warhammer 40k movie. There was also the 1997 movie Event Horizon which was effectively a prequel to Warhammer 40k, despite not being officially affiliated with it

Liberate Te Ex Inferis
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Event Horizon is like, one of my favorite movies. It's gotten some flack for being a B movie, but I think it's great. Although I've always thought the comparisons to 40k were a little tenuous.

Mmmmm, have tried my hand at some 40k fiction before, and with the story already mapped out, maybe I'll take a crack at writing this :P

Hah, that sounds like it has potential. Be sure to post it in here if you actually do start writing, I'm sure the others would also like to see.

What viewpoint would you use? I'm guessing switching between the magos and said imperial commander? Or more like a 3rd person narrator?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'd probably use third person and the omniscient but personality-less narrator. I enjoy scenes that describe things the characters can't know.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 824