Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 633 634 [635] 636 637 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 1021671 times)

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
Re: WH40K general discussion thread: Lictor, P.I.
« Reply #9510 on: October 16, 2017, 04:02:11 pm »

It looks like a freaking siege tank from Starcraft... so now the plagiarizing circle is complete, they are stealing from a game that started as a pitch of a game of their own lore...
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9511 on: October 16, 2017, 04:47:33 pm »

its too clean.  like the rest of the secundus marines.

it looks more like a Halo inspired tank to me
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #9512 on: October 16, 2017, 05:18:19 pm »

Giving them a floaty supertank is fucking dumb. Hell, they could've gotten away with a modified baneblade or something, atleast it'd be more beliveable and fitting the faction.
It already existed, it was called Fellblade (basically Baneblade with nice bubble turret and two main cannons), and was another victim of post-Horus Heresy "nobody gets to have all the toys", which also resulted in splitting the Imperial Army into Navy and Guard. Basically, it was Guard who were supposed to deal with heavy tank support now, and so on.

But now we have Primaris Space Marines, which get ALL THE TOYS. From the gamplay standpoint, it feels like Grey Knights v2.0, and from lore standpoint, unless it backfires horribly and results in Second Horus Heresy (unlikely ATM), also feels like Grey Knights 2.0. MUH FUCKING BEST MARINES WITH BEST FUCKING TANKS BEST BEST BEST BEST BEST BEST. Like, holy fuck, I actually liked the Custodes Machines Of Bling, because Custodes were supposed to be Rape Machines all around and have been very lacking in terms of lore and models for long time, but this is just forced now.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9513 on: October 16, 2017, 06:47:21 pm »

Yeah... Makes me curious what a 'Light' superheavy would be like.
That could actually be quite cool, from marines.

Lightest superheavy currently in the game is the Stormsurge.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9514 on: October 16, 2017, 06:50:33 pm »

The one saving grace would be if they go full horus heresy 2 guililboi boogaloo, showing a split between the Western Roman Empire and Eastern Roman Empire Imperium of Man and Ultramar. Imperium gets everything blocky and skull shaped, Ultramar gets starcraft

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9515 on: October 16, 2017, 06:53:21 pm »

Roboute and Cawl vs Dorn and... Someone.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9516 on: October 16, 2017, 06:55:52 pm »

Roboute and Cawl vs Dorn and... Someone.
Jaghatai Khan pls

You'd have all the symbology of Greek Ultrasmurfs surrounded by Mongol and Roman imagery

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9517 on: October 16, 2017, 06:59:28 pm »

Jaghatai shows up, sacks the entirety of Ultramar while Bootay is elsewhere, flogs it to the tau and heads back into the webway with enough drinking money to last another ten thousand years
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9518 on: October 16, 2017, 07:35:17 pm »

KHAAAAAN

That guy does seem pretty great though, lore-wise.  Mongol Horde loyalists with jetbikes yes.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9519 on: October 16, 2017, 08:19:53 pm »

I love that guy.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9520 on: October 16, 2017, 11:42:22 pm »

But now we have Primaris Space Marines, which get ALL THE TOYS. From the gamplay standpoint, it feels like Grey Knights v2.0, and from lore standpoint, unless it backfires horribly and results in Second Horus Heresy (unlikely ATM), also feels like Grey Knights 2.0. MUH FUCKING BEST MARINES WITH BEST FUCKING TANKS BEST BEST BEST BEST BEST BEST.

Marines having all the toys ruins one of the more interesting things about them: that they aren't so much an army as a raging barbarian horde. Everything in their arsenal, from their ships to the Marines themselves, is built with the underlying assumption that Marines exist to punch the enemies of Man in the face; all other capabilities are secondary to getting Marines stuck in. Their ships love to fire Marines at ships and planets and so on; their biggest tanks are transports with guns. In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only rushing headlong at the enemy with fridge-sized slabs of angry meat and beating the crap out of them while yelling about the Emperor. The Guard handles everything else, and that dichotomy is interesting in a narrative sense. It makes it possible for them to be both awesome and fallible. It gives them reasons to need the aid of the tiny humans with shovels and artillery support. It also provided insight into the mind of the Emperor and humanized Horus slightly, in that the Marines are not only living weapons but living weapons specialized for a function that would be of limited utility in the empire they were created to conquer.

Primaris Marines, though, lose that fallibility, and not in a good way. They're just bigger better boring Marines that trade awesomeness for nuance, like they just stepped out of a propaganda poster. Now, you could argue that this is Guilliman's fault in-universe for replicating the mistakes of the father he so blindly idolizes (and Cawl's for not slapping him upside the head with a mechadendrite for being so myopic), but I also don't think a new Horus Heresy is coming so this is unlikely to ever be fully explored.

Then again, I mostly use 40k for running DH games, so I'm less concerned with the mechanics on the tabletop and more worried about narrative anyway. Maybe the Marines needed the Primaris to continue to be the flagship product.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9521 on: October 16, 2017, 11:54:57 pm »

I remember when we were all saying 'Primaris is just a way for them to put truescale marines in without having to retire an entire legacy of models'

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9522 on: October 16, 2017, 11:58:08 pm »

I like the Imperial Guard as the "actually just a normal space-army" better than as "horde of ineffectual tiny humans". For that reason I like the fact that they have more practical tanks and artillery and stuff than the giant Space Marines.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9523 on: October 17, 2017, 12:36:01 am »

How do the Tau stack up against the Eldar in terms of armies?
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9524 on: October 17, 2017, 12:39:17 am »

How do the Tau stack up against the Eldar in terms of armies?

In what way do you want their armies compared? On the tabletop, in the lore, or in the video games?
Pages: 1 ... 633 634 [635] 636 637 ... 824