Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 481 482 [483] 484 485 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 1024007 times)

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers

Heh.  After playing Vampires for so long, playing normal (well, possessed) humans in New World of Darkness is teaching us that too.
-snip-
... meanwhile in Burning Wheel, one of our characters took a mortal wound and therefore is unconscious for eight months.
... meanwhile in original Witcher roleplaying tabletop game, one of characters could get a slight wound and therefore die in few days due to infection. Or get bashed in the head slightly harder and be unconscious for the rest of his life and even if brought back there's a chance he would never be able to eat on his own. Witchers and various other "non-fully-human" characters have it a bit better, but it shows pretty well how Witchers can be easily taken down by bunch of dudes with pitchforks.
Also monsters usually are retardely hard to kill, proably tougher than the ones you can see in other universes.
That shit was proably the most hardcore and realistic rpg I've ever seen.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
It told me I'd hit the title character limit, what?
« Reply #7231 on: October 20, 2016, 07:01:25 pm »

And also a game where you were supposed to have I think at least 3 characters.

...Someone should run that, it could be interesting.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile

Finally gonna take the plunge and sell my guard.
Figured I'd put an ad up for something just under the ridiculous $2,500 my army is worth RRP and leave it to stew for a few months to see if I get any nibbles.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

I'd probably wear power armor 24/7 as well if I was as rich and important as a rogue trader player character.
They're not Space Marines though. They gotta sleep sometime.
In fairness Space marines have other space marines and an armoury to keep their power armour safe. If a rogue trader character goes to sleep without their armour safe, there is a very high chance of someone stealing it from them, as it is priceless; thus it makes sense for them to only ever take it off when maintenance requires (or when the pungent odour sealed within becomes downright lethal to diplomacy)

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'd probably wear power armor 24/7 as well if I was as rich and important as a rogue trader player character.
They're not Space Marines though. They gotta sleep sometime.
In fairness Space marines have other space marines and an armoury to keep their power armour safe. If a rogue trader character goes to sleep without their armour safe, there is a very high chance of someone stealing it from them, as it is priceless; thus it makes sense for them to only ever take it off when maintenance requires (or when the pungent odour sealed within becomes downright lethal to diplomacy)

Space marines are not that safe themself, as blood ravens armoury contents show.  :P

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile

The chapter title Blood Ravens is a common mistranslation of a much older name. Ancient records in certain isolated or protected locations show that the original name for the proto-chapter was Bloody Magpies. Indeed, one of the first mentions of the Blood Ravens in the official Imperial canon is a complaint from the Ultramarines. It appears that the ancient Blood Ravens stole Guilliman's priceless Throne of Man's Relief, his personal field toilet and a priceless historical artefact to both the Ultramarines and Ultramar. They are also accused of vandalism, having sprayed the archaic term "Smurf" all over the shrine.

Naturally, this evolution from Bloody Magpies to Blood Ravens have been supported and propagated by the Blood Ravens themselves. Many records that could cast more light on their previous history has been stolen or edited, usually under pretext of "Orcs in your library? It's more likely than you think."
Soldiers on campaign against the forces of the Night Lords traitor legion has reported in the past that they've heard a horrible wheezing over the din of battle, saying "Blood Ravens are Thousand Sons, you sheep! Look at those nerds! You know it and we know it! Wake up!". Such preposterous heresy is naturally only included in this work to demonstrate the degree of uncertainty over the Bloody Magpies and their origin, for that would be silly, now wouldn't it?

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

*Perks up*

Figured I'd put an ad up for something just under the ridiculous $2,500 my army is worth RRP and leave it to stew for a few months to see if I get any nibbles.
*Perks the fuck back down again*

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile

It's aussieman dollars. But yeah probably still stupidly cash.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Taco Bell is the strongest Faction
« Reply #7239 on: October 23, 2016, 07:06:51 am »

You know... I can't take the Ultramarines seriously just by their name.

The Space Marines are already SUPER DUPER over the top exaggerations that often shift to being an outright parody (That is kind of the thing about Warhammer 40k it constantly skirts between being "Too serious" and "Self-parody")

So everytime I hear "Ultramarines" I just picture the Space Marines with huge oversized overelaborate armor and oversized guns with barrels at least twice as big as they are long.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Taco Bell is the strongest Faction
« Reply #7240 on: October 23, 2016, 07:47:37 am »

So everytime I hear "Ultramarines" I just picture the Space Marines with huge oversized overelaborate armor and oversized guns with barrels at least twice as big as they are long.

Well, that does describe the Ultramarines pretty well. Most Space Marine chapters, of course, but especially the Ultramarines.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 08:41:48 am by Dorsidwarf »
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile

Please put large images in a spoiler Dorsi, I'd appreciate it.

Would you mind putting up a picture of the entire set before you sell it? Out of curiosity what kind of army 2.500 dollars buys you (I assume you're not counting paint and manhours into that figure)?

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers

The Ultramarines are supposedly called like that because they come from Ultramar and utilize ultramarine colours.
It should be noted that Ultramarines were, originally, traitors. The Ultramarine chapter has been created only after the Horus Heresy and got Ultramar only after Tyrannic war.
Of course this got Retconned after Rogue Trader, so was, if I rememeber right, the GW focus on Crimson Fists as the "main poster-boys chapter".
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile

I also think their insignia (the toilet seat) is a Greek omega. Which is kinda sorta maybe if you squint the same sentiment the term ultra brings across.

Amen, Matt Wa-ard, grant our prayer,
Great writer, now thine arm make bare,
Lorelol for us once again!
So shall thy smurfs and dread knights raise,
a mighty chorus to thy praise,
forevermore, Amen.

Principal hymn of the Ultrasmurfs. When they're not singing that other one. You know, the Hanti-panti supermartini, opel-mini supermartini, hodi-hinni suppras-puccini, hanti-panti supermartini over and over.
Pages: 1 ... 481 482 [483] 484 485 ... 824